Roy Keane Hype

Started by Leo, November 27, 2007, 09:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

Looking forward to collecting on my bet for Sunderland to be relegated. Don't know about Boylesports but expect Paddy Power to pay out early. By the way I said this months ago.
The susceptibility of  Irish soccer supporters to buy into the constant media hypea round Roy Keane infuriates but does not surprise me. Even after a 7 goal tanking by Everton (a super power?) there is little or no rational assessment of Kean's managerial credentials (Staunton with attitude?) or his farcical transfer dealings (Yorke, Cole, O'Donovan -- Ian Harte anyone?)
Most interesting will be the cash-laden Cats descent to the Championship as his old arch-enemy Mc Carthy takes Wolves in the other direction on a pittance.
Time for the reality check that for so long has bypassed  Irish soccer fans.
Fierce tame altogether

whiskeysteve

wise up leo, keane is due to be the next alex ferguson and everyone knows it. you cant just ignore the hype you fool...
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

SeanSouth

I actually agree with the thread, we were subjected to a "Boylesports Sunderland" thread earlier this year and had clowns on saying they would comfortably stay up, mainly because they had an Irish mnager. They are all conspicuous by their absence now. There have been far better players than Keane that failed at management, Johnny Barnes for one.  ;D

Bogball XV

One thing's for sure, he spent an awful lot of money on an awful lot of shite - maybe he'd have been better off going with some of those fancy dan foreigners with all their skill and stuff, rather than the pride of Britain, real footballers who will be able to cut it on a cold muddy night in Barnsley (the way Sunderland are going they'll need to be able to cut in Barnsley, Rotherham etc).  I heard from someone who went over for the game, that McShane gave quite possibly the worst performance ever by a premiership footballer.

AZOffaly

McShane looked absolutely dire. I think I had him at fault for 5 of the Everton goals.

tintin25

Lads, judge him at the end of the season. Sunderland were always going to stuggle. Yes, he's made what appears some terrible buys...but who else could he get?? I agree that McShane looks way out of his depth and Keane needs to address this area fast. I believe that there is 7/8 teams who are as bad as each other which should make the releagtion fight more interesting.

saffron

QuoteLooking forward to collecting on my bet for Sunderland to be relegated. Don't know about Boylesports but expect Paddy Power to pay out early. By the way I said this months ago.
The susceptibility of  Irish soccer supporters to buy into the constant media hypea round Roy Keane infuriates but does not surprise me. Even after a 7 goal tanking by Everton (a super power?) there is little or no rational assessment of Kean's managerial credentials (Staunton with attitude?) or his farcical transfer dealings (Yorke, Cole, O'Donovan -- Ian Harte anyone?)
Most interesting will be the cash-laden Cats descent to the Championship as his old arch-enemy Mc Carthy takes Wolves in the other direction on a pittance.

Bang on!
And he should also bin the snide comments towards other international players - we dont need to get back into that argument I'm sure..

imtommygunn

This thread is a wee bit premature. They're at the "top" of the relegation zone and teams like Birmingham will surely be dragged into it too.

McShane looks awful and it looks akin to the days when you turned on MOTD to see Gary Doherty having a large part to play in the opposition's goal(s) however hopefully Keane will address this. Kenwyn Jones has been an excellent signing and Gordon is a good keeper too.

I think Sunderland will go down and maybe a few buys of Keane could be questioned but he's a young manager who is far from the finished article but one who, I think, will learn. He shows remarkably rational thinking in the face of a crisis(e.g. Saturday post match interview) and will hopefully learn from it.

He's giving a lot of Irish players premiership experience and people should be getting behind him and not on his back here.

ludermor

They were second from bottom when Keane took them over, who was bottom? Derby. Where did they end up? Same as sunderland. How much has derbys manager spent? 10m as opposed to 40m. How are they doing in the premiership? Bad. Whats has happened their manager? Sacked.

I wonder why the Derby board are not going to judge Davies at the end of the season, in my opinion he done a better job last season than keane on very limited resourses.
And as for teh statement who could he have got!!!! He has spent nearly 50m!! Man City have bought some decent players im sure Keane would have had a shout with some of them.

whiskeysteve

too right, Keane is due to be the next Bobby Robson of the management world - great player, shocking manager
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Leo on November 27, 2007, 09:22:50 AM
Looking forward to collecting on my bet for Sunderland to be relegated. Don't know about Boylesports but expect Paddy Power to pay out early. By the way I said this months ago.

I wouldn't be so sure.  Now I always admired Roy Keane, but was never sure that he would make a good manager and was surprised at the instant success he had last season.  I knew from the beginning this season that he spent a lot of money on players that wouldn't make the grade at this level but I still said they wouldn't get relegated.  There are a lot of bad teams at the bottom, some worse than Sunderland, so despite the 7-1 loss to Everton I feel they will survive.  Anyway I know if this was any other Irish manager such a thread wouldn't be made half as quick but because its Roy Keane everyone loves to see him fail.  Hes just in his second season as manager, of course he is going to make mistakes.  Give him time to learn, will he be as successful as Alex or Arsen Wenger, probably not but lads even Alex was close to the sack at United at one time.

screenexile

Quote from: whiskeysteve on November 27, 2007, 11:29:05 AM
too right, Keane is due to be the next Bobby Robson of the management world - great player, shocking manager

Bryan Robson?

I couldn't give a shite about Sunderland but hopw they go down as all this SundIreland crap is doing my head in. Roy Keane is a w**ker, end of. Great player of which there is no doubt. But someone who intentionally tries to cripple someone is a thug in any man's language and the fact that he walked out on his country (whatever about the state of this and that he shouldn't have walked) means I hate him even more... he played for Man United... He's from Cork... well you all see where I'm going!

Bensars

Slightly premature. Sunderland entered the bottom three, but 3 points wuld put them comfortably into mid table.

Appears keane is like bovril. Some like him, some detest him.

Personally i thought he was an exceptional player, good first year in management. Premiership remains to be seen but i wouldnt make a judement based on the year so far.  Hes a determined hoor who likes to prove people wrong

saffron

QuoteHes just in his second season as manager, of course he is going to make mistakes.

Maybe that wouldn't be the case if he wasn't such and arrogant, mouthy, opinionated p***k.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: ludermor on November 27, 2007, 11:28:45 AM
They were second from bottom when Keane took them over, who was bottom? Derby. Where did they end up? Same as sunderland. How much has derbys manager spent? 10m as opposed to 40m. How are they doing in the premiership? Bad. Whats has happened their manager? Sacked.

I wonder why the Derby board are not going to judge Davies at the end of the season, in my opinion he done a better job last season than keane on very limited resourses.
And as for teh statement who could he have got!!!! He has spent nearly 50m!! Man City have bought some decent players im sure Keane would have had a shout with some of them.

I couldn't believe Derby sacked Billy Davis, a good manager with the hardest job in the Premiership.  They should have done what Watford did, they kept there manager last season despite getting relegated and now sit nicely at the top of the Championship looking like they will be promoted again.  Derby probably went up a season or two early and relegation was always on the cards and now who will they get as manager?  Who ever it is probably wont be as good as Billy Davis.