Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Where are the NI nationalist parties on this? Blair and Major made a good effort, the Irish government have spoke out, but what are the SDLP and SF doing? Are they so useless that they cannot manage to speak out in defence of the Good Friday agreement? If anything the UU have been more use. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

If only we had a credible Irish politician to speak to those disaffected Irish citizens who have a vote in this, are living in Britain and are considering a Leave vote.  If it's a vote on immigrants (which it appears to be at its lowest tabloid level), then they are immigrants too.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

armaghniac

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on June 10, 2016, 11:54:02 AM
If only we had a credible Irish politician to speak to those disaffected Irish citizens who have a vote in this, are living in Britain and are considering a Leave vote.  If it's a vote on immigrants (which it appears to be at its lowest tabloid level), then they are immigrants too.

If they are like that lube in the Mayo jersey interviewed on TV last week, they reckon that the fewer immigrants from the continent "taking people's jobs" the more there will be for Irish people!! They don't care what happens in Ireland as a consequence, despite the jersey wearing.

naka

guys,
this could be tight enough,
I have a fair few English clients who just see Europe as a gravy train sucking all initiative out of UK.
they lament the increased faceless regulation, immigration( and these guys wouldn`t be classed as right wing) and the costs

was shocked because they are nearly all pressing for exit

Orior

Quote from: naka on June 13, 2016, 10:09:16 AM
guys,
I have a fair few English clients who just see Europe The Sick Counties as a gravy train sucking all initiative out of UK GB.
they lament the increased faceless regulation, immigration (and these guys wouldn`t be classed as right wing) and the costs

Is the above edit any better?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: naka on June 13, 2016, 10:09:16 AM
guys,

Very tight.

QuoteI have a fair few English clients who just see Europe as a gravy train sucking all initiative out of UK.
they lament the increased faceless regulation, immigration( and these guys wouldn`t be classed as right wing) and the costs

This is a largely bollix of course. The UK government is itself very keen on regulation, but they blame the EU for it. There has been more non-EU immigrants, who haven't integrated in many cases. Ireland has had a similar amount of EU immigration, but the EU immigrants are not seen as so a huge problem as they have spread throughout the country and mixed with the people, not formed into ghettos. As for the cost, it is about the same as 6 counties as Orior noted . Nowadays this money largely goes to eastern Europe, which needs some assistance after 45 years of Soviet occupation., the end of which was a core tenet of British foreign policy.

This is largely a fact free debate, which isn't encouraging.

seafoid

The debate is largely misinformed and mostly emotional.
Brexit is pointless.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2016, 12:15:07 PM
Brexit is pointless.

Indeed! Gove says his Father's fishing business went under because of the EU. . . no mention of the fact that the fish would have fuicking disappeared due to overfishing were it not for the EU stepping in!!

naka

Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2016, 12:15:07 PM
Brexit is pointless.
it might be emotional but the leave campaigners are winning the shouting match

T Fearon

1/2 Stay 13/8 Leave.Shortest price on the leave outcome I've seen

armaghniac

Since any rational objection is "scaremongering" it is hard for Remain to address the rot. It may well come down to turnout. It is important for the 6 counties and Scotland to get a different voice in there, this might swing it, but even if it does not it makes a point.

T Fearon

Surely those chasing the United Ireland pipe dream should be in the Brexit camp and the inevitable break up of the UK such an outcome would precipitate? Then again it seems to be OK to cede sovereignty to the EU but not the Brits.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: T Fearon on June 13, 2016, 10:26:03 PM
Surely those chasing the United Ireland pipe dream should be in the Brexit camp and the inevitable break up of the UK such an outcome would precipitate? Then again it seems to be OK to cede sovereignty to the EU but not the Brits.

I think the SNP are hoping for a Brexit more than northern nationalists.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 13, 2016, 10:29:21 PM

It's a funny one alright. Scotland will more than likely vote to remain, but I'd say in the back of the SNP's minds they will hope for a Brexit. The situation is unclear with nationalists here. If there is a Brexit and the border controls come back, that would mean hassle for a lot of people.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

There is a difference between sharing a house and having a landlord who stole your house and turned you into a tenant.

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 13, 2016, 10:29:21 PM

If any northern nationalist is hoping for a Brexit then they haven't thought about it.
The SNP have done the work of (largely) establishing how an independent Scotland would work and the ground work to make it possible. NI nationalists have done none of this.

Probably the "best" outcome would be a close result, where Scotland and NI were material to the result and the differences between them and England were made clear, without any precipitate action.

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 13, 2016, 11:01:05 PM
It's a funny one alright. Scotland will more than likely vote to remain, but I'd say in the back of the SNP's minds they will hope for a Brexit. The situation is unclear with nationalists here. If there is a Brexit and the border controls come back, that would mean hassle for a lot of people.

As above, what the SNP needs to a good gap between Scotland and England.