Has anyone ever worked as a Movie Extra?

Started by davegaasportsdesk, November 02, 2011, 03:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fingerbob

I was an extra in Game of Thrones in July. First scene of the next series. It involved standing on Downhill beach for the best part of 8-9 hours with 4 layers of medieval clothing on in the middle of the summer although it did go on well into the night. Didn't enjoy it at all. They paid £130 for around 12- 13 hours. Granted you don't do much but the waiting around and standing on sand for hours without being able to sit wasn't enjoyable and terribly boring.

I don't think I could recommend it but again that was my own experience of one shoot so I have no real idea of what it's like in general.

Eamonnca1

Careful, Bob. TO might not believe you. We can't have that, can we? Very important that we water down our experiences to match the boredom of his uneventful and pointless life.

Olly

I used to be close friends with a few Hollywood men in the 90s and landed my first role as an extra in the film Saving Private Ryan playing a German soldier patrolling a train station in Austria. It was acclaimed in some quarters and three of my uncles loved it. It must have struck a chord with someone as I landed another role in Der Untergang playing a German soldier standing outside a pub in Berlin. Again, it was critically acclaimed in my hometown and one man said it was really convincing the way I stood as a German and that it couldn't have been mistaken for any other nationality. Finally I was recommended to the crowd involved with Inglorious Bastards and landed the role of a German sitting on a train in Poland as it sped by. Brad Pitt said to me I was great at sitting like a German which was like winning the local lotto and has recommended me to another role about Franz Bechenbauer but we have to wait til he's not well before filming starts.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Forever Green

Quote from: Olly on November 02, 2011, 11:28:25 PM
I used to be close friends with a few Hollywood men in the 90s and landed my first role as an extra in the film Saving Private Ryan playing a German soldier patrolling a train station in Austria. It was acclaimed in some quarters and three of my uncles loved it. It must have struck a chord with someone as I landed another role in Der Untergang playing a German soldier standing outside a pub in Berlin. Again, it was critically acclaimed in my hometown and one man said it was really convincing the way I stood as a German and that it couldn't have been mistaken for any other nationality. Finally I was recommended to the crowd involved with Inglorious b**tards and landed the role of a German sitting on a train in Poland as it sped by. Brad Pitt said to me I was great at sitting like a German which was like winning the local lotto and has recommended me to another role about Franz Bechenbauer but we have to wait til he's not well before filming starts.

:D  :D

Class poster

lfdown2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 02, 2011, 06:39:19 PM
I did once for a friend who was making an independent movie. Didn't get paid for it and neither did the other extras, I just did it to help him out.

If you're doing it for a studio then it's a decent way of passing the time. I wouldn't imagine you'd get very much but then you spend most of the time sitting around gossiping and waiting while the crew set up the next scene. You get paid for spending most of your time doing nothing.

= his wee lad's birthday party

Tyrones own

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 02, 2011, 10:56:38 PM
Careful, Bob. TO might not believe you. We can't have that, can we? Very important that we water down our experiences to match the boredom of his uneventful and pointless life.
No...Bob's safe enough it's you we're on to  ;D

Eamonn with hair... stay thirsty my friend :D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

The Gs Man

Signed up with Exras NI for a bit of craic. done a a good few things, mostly local productions and films. Had a line in a recent film too.  Have turned down loads of stuff due to work commitments.

I say go for it for the laugh! Pretty interesting behind the scenes too.
Keep 'er lit

Jonah

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 02, 2011, 10:56:38 PM
You are easily wound up.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 03, 2011, 02:04:39 AM
Eamonn with hair... stay thirsty my friend :D

You'd better believe it, mate. Nobody questions my interestingness and gets away with it! Let that be a lesson!  ;D

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Olly on November 02, 2011, 11:28:25 PM
I used to be close friends with a few Hollywood men in the 90s and landed my first role as an extra in the film Saving Private Ryan playing a German soldier patrolling a train station in Austria. It was acclaimed in some quarters and three of my uncles loved it. It must have struck a chord with someone as I landed another role in Der Untergang playing a German soldier standing outside a pub in Berlin. Again, it was critically acclaimed in my hometown and one man said it was really convincing the way I stood as a German and that it couldn't have been mistaken for any other nationality. Finally I was recommended to the crowd involved with Inglorious b**tards and landed the role of a German sitting on a train in Poland as it sped by. Brad Pitt said to me I was great at sitting like a German which was like winning the local lotto and has recommended me to another role about Franz Bechenbauer but we have to wait til he's not well before filming starts.

Quality!  :D

deiseach

I've been an eil-um Eamonnca1 and His Stalker

illdecide

Wasn't in one but watched them filming "The Merchant of Venice" for a week in Venice and actually bumped (Literally)into Jeremy Irons...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Massey-135

Not a movie but I was an extra in that show Seacht - it's like an Irish lanaguage version of Hollyoaks if you haven't heard of it. Got no pay other than a few sandwiches. Pretty boring stuff, had to do over a dozen takes for one scene pretending to chat to two strangers. I got fed up and went home after that.

13aside

A mate of mine told me that a about 20 years ago they were filming around Rathfriland co.Down and some of the locals were selected to play roles as extras,they got paid something like 20quid,that was ok but the movie people made a huge mistake at the start and paid out the money first thing in the morning and by the time the extras were needed well lets say some had used up the 20quid on liquid refreshments and couldnt take part!!