Derry vs Tipperary, Breffini Park, Sarurday 23rd July 5pm, Live on Sky

Started by quiganmaster, July 18, 2016, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quiganmaster

Thought I'd get the discussion going. Derry have done well so far since the Tyrone embarrassment and It's a great chance for us to get to a first quarter final in 9 years, but Tipperary will be no pushovers. PP have Derry as short as 1/2 to win, which I think is ridiculous and Tipp at 11/5 might be worth a tenner or 2.

twohands!!!

Waterford 1-7 Tipp 1-15
Cork 2-16 Tipp 3-15
Kerry 3-17 Tipp 2-10

In the league (Division 3) Tipp's record was 2 wins 3 draw 2 loses

Derry 0-12 Tyrone 3-14
Derry 1-18 Louth 2-10
Derry 1-14 Meath 1-11
Cavan 0-18 Derry 1-17

In the league (Division 2) Derry's record was 2 wins 2 draw 2 loses

In the Kerry game, Tipp looked like a side who were happy enough with their win over Cork. Also Cork seem a side who look wildly inconsistent so beating them might not exactly be the achievement it once was.
Derry have recovered from the Tyrone game and while they haven't been beating any world-beaters they have been winning games.

rrhf

southderryman

Quote from: rrhf on July 19, 2016, 07:20:35 AM
Has Derry ever been on sky before?

Probably not a serious question. But yes, at least twice that I know off  (donegal and galway last year).

southderryman

Quote from: quiganmaster on July 18, 2016, 06:28:16 PM
Thought I'd get the discussion going. Derry have done well so far since the Tyrone embarrassment and It's a great chance for us to get to a first quarter final in 9 years, but Tipperary will be no pushovers. PP have Derry as short as 1/2 to win, which I think is ridiculous and Tipp at 11/5 might be worth a tenner or 2.
Those odds make little sense to me. I'd  see this as a 50/50 game.

We have massive problems with our kick outs and winning ball at midfield. It will cost us at some stage. To be honest it should have been our downfall on Saturday but thankfully cavan were wasteful in the first half.

We need to play from the start this time, instead of waiting to half time when damage is done. A big opportunity to get to a quarter final for both teams. I'd like to think there would be no over confidence in the Derry set up, as frankly its not warranted....and if there is, then the only word which needs mentioned is Longford

southderryman

skeog

breffni park is worth a couple of points to derry due to their familiarity with it surely derry are good enough to reach the last 8

Real Talk

Quote from: southderryman on July 19, 2016, 08:55:27 AM

We have massive problems with our kick outs and winning ball at midfield. It will cost us at some stage. To be honest it should have been our downfall on Saturday but thankfully cavan were wasteful in the first half.

We need to play from the start this time, instead of waiting to half time when damage is done. A big opportunity to get to a quarter final for both teams. I'd like to think there would be no over confidence in the Derry set up, as frankly its not warranted....and if there is, then the only word which needs mentioned is Longford

This is the key to our problem plus a new CHB will have to be chosen .... who in the team/panel can give us stability, intelligence, leadership and drive in that role ?  .....

TheOptimist

Quote from: Real Talk on July 19, 2016, 10:03:26 AM

This is the key to our problem plus a new CHB will have to be chosen .... who in the team/panel can give us stability, intelligence, leadership and drive in that role ?  .....

Thinking McAtamney maybe with Bradley in midfield? From memory in the league last year McAtamney played a class game against Cork around that position.

southderryman

Quote from: TheOptimist on July 19, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Thinking McAtamney maybe with Bradley in midfield? From memory in the league last year McAtamney played a class game against Cork around that position.

Thats could be worth a shout. We're not blessed with options in there. Times like this you really feel the absence of McBride, Sean Leo, Craig and Johnson....those 4 available would have given us plenty of defensive options

AZOffaly

The Cork win was a real boost for Tipperary football, but the Kerry performance still shows how far away Tipp are from the top table. They are a Division 3 team for a reason, and while this year will have helped broaden the base of inter county player in the county, which is great, I think the defections are still a major concern and will hold Tipperary back, and probably cost them this game. If Steven O'Brien, Colin O'Riordan, Seamus Kennedy, Jason Lonergan and the rest were on the squad for this game, then I'd fancy Tipp, and in fact I'd fancy them to give Kerry a much more serious test. They should be a Division 2 team at least with those players.

However if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, so Tipp has to deal with what they have, and in fairness they have done that well this year. Lads who wouldn't even be in the named 30 are starting, and have improved as the year went on, so that is a very heartening sign, and will be a good thing in the long run.

Tipp are at their best when they move at speed. They need to dominate possession and attack at pace. They like to mix it up, and feed Quinlivan and Sweeney with direct ball, mixed in with fast breaking 'shoulder' runners like Acheson and Brian Fox. They are quite proficient at getting goals due to this pace, but when it goes wrong they get very slow and ponderous, and are prone to turnovers. I'm not sure how Derry would set up, but Tipp would struggle, in my view against anything approaching a blanket defense.

At the back, they will match up well against strong lads, but great movement (a lá Kerry) really hurts them. They can be run at as well, and will give up goal chances when that happens, but isolated defenders against really fast, tricky forwards is the big weakness.

i'd be surprised if Derry don't win this, but I think Tipp will give a good account of themselves, and if they can keep the pace in their game going forward, they may well beat Derry.

thebuzz

Quote from: southderryman on July 19, 2016, 08:50:52 AM
Quote from: rrhf on July 19, 2016, 07:20:35 AM
Has Derry ever been on sky before?

Probably not a serious question. But yes, at least twice that I know off  (donegal and galway last year).
Whether it's a serious question or not I can't remember us winning too many televised games. We lost both of those last year. With our record this year there is no way we should be complacent or have any right to be. Tipperary could easily beat us. We need to do much better on our own kickouts. Barton also needs to drum it into the players that there's no point in complaining to the ref or getting in the way when a free kick is given against us. There were at least three frees on Saturday which Cavan scored due to them being moved forward.

AhNowRef

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 19, 2016, 10:47:37 AM
The Cork win was a real boost for Tipperary football, but the Kerry performance still shows how far away Tipp are from the top table. They are a Division 3 team for a reason, and while this year will have helped broaden the base of inter county player in the county, which is great, I think the defections are still a major concern and will hold Tipperary back, and probably cost them this game. If Steven O'Brien, Colin O'Riordan, Seamus Kennedy, Jason Lonergan and the rest were on the squad for this game, then I'd fancy Tipp, and in fact I'd fancy them to give Kerry a much more serious test. They should be a Division 2 team at least with those players.

I didnt know about defections in Tipp .. is that to Hurling or whats the craic with these players ? ... I thought O'Riordan was a super player.

AZOffaly

Colin O'Riordan is in the AFL.
Steven O'Brien is on the extended Tipp hurling panel.
Seamus Kennedy is starting with the hurlers.
Paddy Codd and Barry Grogan aren't playing this year
3 other lads went off to the US after the league.

All good players that would be at least on the panel, and probably 6 or 7 starters.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: southderryman on July 19, 2016, 10:44:43 AM
Quote from: TheOptimist on July 19, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Thats could be worth a shout. We're not blessed with options in there. Times like this you really feel the absence of McBride, Sean Leo, Craig and Johnson....those 4 available would have given us plenty of defensive options

Are they all gone for the year?