Holiday ideas in Ireland (2 young kids in tow)

Started by Smokin Joe, April 07, 2008, 03:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

I have 2 children, a 2 year old and a 7 month old nipper.

We are looking to head away for a few days during the Summer and are after some ideas.

As I see it a hotel is out of the question (not for cost), just that a hotel with slamming doors at 3am and 2 children who are light sleepers at the best of times aren't a good mix.
So it's probably somewhere self catering kind of thing.

We are based in Armagh and were probably thinking of somewhere fairly close by, like Doneagl or Sligo etc.

And the last requirement (which is the thing beating us at the moment) is that I don't think we can do a week.  The kids are too young to have a proper holiday and I'd say that after about 3 days everyone would be ready for home.  This is causing us a problem as everywhere during the summer seems to want (for obvious reasons) a mimimum stay of one week.

So in summary, I want to take them away for a few days, see the beach / sea etc but I don't think a week is doable.

Anyone been in the same boat, or have any ideas / recommendations?

AZOffaly

I'm not too sure about the whole North/Northwest in terms of specific examples, but if I were you I'd be looking at somewhere on the grounds of a nice hotel, but in a chalet or something. Castlerosse in Killarney is an example, and I think they are a 'Tower' hotel so if you look at them they might have a member closer to you. Basically the set up there is you are in your own self catering chalet, which is lovely, and on the main grounds of the hotel. You are treated as a guest in terms of the facilities, bar hours etc etc, but you have the privacy of your own 'home' as well.

Also somewhere like Trabolgan with self catering appartments or chalets as well would be nice for kids, although the 7 month old probably won't care in any case. I know trabolgan is a long way from Armagh (ask Brokencrossbar :D) but I don't know if there is somewhere like it up in the black north :)

Smokin Joe

Yep, AZ, somewhere like Trabolgan would be ideal (if only it were further North).  The only way we could possibly do that would be to break up the trip.

Not sure though if I'd like to go that far with the kids being so young.

Thanks for the ideas..............

AZOffaly

Have a look at http://www.selfcatering.ie That seems to have a few likely candidates up around Donegal etc.

brokencrossbar1

Joe never worry about the kids, I do it regular enough with 2 the same age and an older one and 2 dogs and shure the craics great. ;D  The road to Cork is grand and if you time it right it can be done in 5 hours to Trabolgan staright.  Take and early start and stop in dublin for lunch and it is manageable before tea time.  Ask umgola, he is down here this week!

Norf Tyrone

Joe I am in a near identical situation. A 3 year old, and a 10 monther! Looking for similar.

We went last year to Sligo (Just the 3 yar old at that stage, but he was 2 then!), and stayed in th Clarion Hotel, Sligo. It has a pile of wee self catering chalets attached, which are very nice.

The hotel has a swimming pool, and a wee creche type thing to keep the kids ammused. In addition there is a big lawn at the front where they can run amok.

The link below doesn't mention the chalets but ring them up to see the craic.

http://www.choicehotels.ie/hotels/clarion/hotel?hotel=IE068
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Smokin Joe

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 07, 2008, 04:21:20 PM
Joe never worry about the kids, I do it regular enough with 2 the same age and an older one and 2 dogs and shure the craics great. ;D  The road to Cork is grand and if you time it right it can be done in 5 hours to Trabolgan staright.  Take and early start and stop in dublin for lunch and it is manageable before tea time.  Ask umgola, he is down here this week!

BC, as a bullets man, I know all about trying to get down to Cork in as quick a time as possible  :)  USed to leave at 4am and be drinking the first can of warm Heineken at about 7.30am.  Those were the days...............

Umgola in Trobalgan, didn't think he was the type!!!!

brokencrossbar1

QuoteUmgola in Trobalgan, didn't think he was the type!!!!

Barney needed a body double!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 07, 2008, 04:35:12 PM
Joe I am in a near identical situation. A 3 year old, and a 10 monther! Looking for similar.

We went last year to Sligo (Just the 3 yar old at that stage, but he was 2 then!), and stayed in th Clarion Hotel, Sligo. It has a pile of wee self catering chalets attached, which are very nice.

The hotel has a swimming pool, and a wee creche type thing to keep the kids ammused. In addition there is a big lawn at the front where they can run amok.

The link below doesn't mention the chalets but ring them up to see the craic.

http://www.choicehotels.ie/hotels/clarion/hotel?hotel=IE068

How long did you stay fr last year Norf?

I couldn't imagine our 2 year old being content for a week, hence my idea about a few days.

off the laces

the two year old was happy it was norf who wanted home ;D ;)
Keeps 'er' straight

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: off the laces on April 07, 2008, 05:30:46 PM
the two year old was happy it was norf who wanted home ;D ;)

;D It can be like that sometimes alright!

I think it was 2 or 3 days Joe.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Tankie

I reccomend Dublin Airport for two hours and then go somewhere you wont get totally ripped off, back to dublin airport after your trip and home again.

I just cannot beleive the price of hotels in this country.
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Iceman

Enniscrone - drive to sligo - grab some lunch - then just over an hour to enniscrone

beach, activities for kids, good food, nice pubs, near knock if you want to visit that  - july is good - big festival in Ballina (mayo) at the time.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

bennydorano

Smokin Joe, did you not see the pull out in the Irish News one day last week? Donegal has it's own Trabalgon type resort now! Rockhill Holiday Park, near kerrykeel (rathmullen) direction.

Drove to Barleycove in Cork last summer with a 4yr old and 1yr old, wasn't too bad a journey on the way down, but a nightmare on the way back- wouldn't recommend it.  Heading to Wexford this year with 5 yr old, 2 yr old and 1 yr old in tow (although we're taking the mum for back up this time).

TORGAEL

Try this Joe, they have chalet type accommodation,in the foothills of the mournes.

www.downshire-armshotel.com