NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhoDat

donegal are in a bad place. wouldn't even be shocked if they ehd up in division 3 in the next couple of years.

mayo full value for the win either way. can only beat what's in front of them and they went and did the job well. they're getting some tune out of o'shea at the moment. he bullied the donegal keeper all day.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on March 19, 2023, 06:02:16 PM
Quote from: naka on March 19, 2023, 05:29:48 PM
Mayo will put out a scratch team next week
With the final the following week and the championship a week later
Armagh will need something in Omagh 🙈
Chips or pizza ?
Monaghan have no motivation. Even half a team would beat them. They need a spell in rehab playing teams like Meath.
The Cóiste Bodhar will be waiting for them outside the ground after the match.

It's when you think Monaghan are goosed that they pull a rabbit out of the hat.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

Mayo have been the most impressive team in Division One by a distance, will be very hard stopped in the league final regardless of who the opposition is. I wouldn't mind the "only the league" talk, if Kerry were performing like Mayo are at the minute they'd be red hot favourites to win back to back Sams.
The AI is there to be won this year, he was left disappointed at other times not to get the head job but McStay might just end up being the right man at the right time.

yellowcard

Mayo   6   4   2   0   112   82   10
   Galway   6   3   2   1   77   67   8
   Kerry   6   3   0   3   92   88   6
   Tyrone   6   3   0   3   95   94   6
   Roscommon   6   3   0   3   84   83   6
   Armagh   6   2   1   3   79   80   5
   Monaghan   6   2   0   4   89   105   4
   Donegal   6   1   1   4   67   96   3

The only certainty is that Donegal are definitely relegated and Mayo are definitely in the League final. Galway look favourites to join Mayo in a League final but they will need a result against Kerry to guarantee that. I don't think Kerry will be too bothered about that match so I can see a Galway v Mayo League final which could be interesting. In the unlikely event that Monaghan and Armagh both win their final match, there could be a whole host of teams finishing on 6 points in which case scoring difference comes into play and it would be time to get the abacus out.

yellowcard

Quote from: WhoDat on March 19, 2023, 06:07:35 PM
donegal are in a bad place. wouldn't even be shocked if they ehd up in division 3 in the next couple of years.

mayo full value for the win either way. can only beat what's in front of them and they went and did the job well. they're getting some tune out of o'shea at the moment. he bullied the donegal keeper all day.

He does seem to have had a new lease of life this year and has played a more disciplined role positionally. He will be licking his lips at the thought of coming up against Gleeson should they face Galway in a League final or in the Connacht championship. Patton has always had a weakness under a high ball and Gleeson is very similar.

Armagh18

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 19, 2023, 05:47:55 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 19, 2023, 05:22:54 PM

Contrast this with Mayo who have been the best team to watch during the entire League to date. I would have thought that they were entering a transition phase having lost so many players in the last few years so I'm not sure how they produce a new batch while still competing at the top level. 

The last decent group from Mayo was 2013-2017. Since 2017 that group of players have been retiring/dropped. That's 6 years ago. Seems like a short time to auld bucks like us.
Couple of provincials and all ireland final appearances since then, not a bad rebuild. If Armagh don't win sam i'd love to see Mayo do it of course, but would be heart breaking for Lee Keegan.

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 19, 2023, 06:09:45 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 19, 2023, 06:02:16 PM
Quote from: naka on March 19, 2023, 05:29:48 PM
Mayo will put out a scratch team next week
With the final the following week and the championship a week later
Armagh will need something in Omagh 🙈
Chips or pizza ?
Monaghan have no motivation. Even half a team would beat them. They need a spell in rehab playing teams like Meath.
The Cóiste Bodhar will be waiting for them outside the ground after the match.

It's when you think Monaghan are goosed that they pull a rabbit out of the hat.
They didn't tend to leave it to the last match against the top team.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 19, 2023, 06:38:04 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 19, 2023, 05:47:55 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 19, 2023, 05:22:54 PM

Contrast this with Mayo who have been the best team to watch during the entire League to date. I would have thought that they were entering a transition phase having lost so many players in the last few years so I'm not sure how they produce a new batch while still competing at the top level. 

The last decent group from Mayo was 2013-2017. Since 2017 that group of players have been retiring/dropped. That's 6 years ago. Seems like a short time to auld bucks like us.
Couple of provincials and all ireland final appearances since then, not a bad rebuild. If Armagh don't win sam i'd love to see Mayo do it of course, but would be heart breaking for Lee Keegan.

Rebuild was done under Horan. Introduced the likes of O'Donoghue,Flynn,Conroy etc into the side it was a perfect opportunity for McStay to step in and he stocked his management team to leave no stone unturned.   Should go on to win the league title now and it's going to take a very good team to beat them in this years All Ireland.

Rossfan

They probably won't lose another match this decade at least.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Yep Horan deserves credit for bringing so many of them through.

But while there seemed to some disharmony in styles, trust and and belief between the old guard and new under Horan, they seem to be revelling in each other's company under McStay, and enjoying their unpredictability together. Mayo of 2023 just don't seem to have a pattern to their play; they're happy to mix it up each and every way.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on March 19, 2023, 06:52:33 PM
It would be gas if Ros beat them on 9 April. There will be no shortage of motivation, I imagine.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on March 19, 2023, 07:20:27 PM
It would be gas if Ros beat them on 9 April. There will be no shortage of motivation, I imagine.
It would be even funnier if the Rossies then went onto beat Galway!

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 19, 2023, 08:09:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 19, 2023, 07:20:27 PM
It would be even funnier if the Rossies then went onto beat Galway!
That happened in the 2001 Connacht Final but the season worked out OK in the end.

omagh_gael

Good chance there could be 4 teams finishing on 8 points next weekend if Kerry, Tyrone and Ros all win. Looking at the table Galway have +6 over Kerry and +9 Advantage over Tyrone and Ros. Kerry would be in the driving seat if they can secure a 4+ win over Galway.