NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 19, 2023, 05:16:50 PM
Am I right in thinking Tyrone are now safe? Monaghan can catch us but we've the head to head plus a +17 point difference.

So you are confident that Armagh will not beat you by 18+ points?
So am I.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

Quote from: clarshack on March 19, 2023, 05:15:54 PM
Aidan O'Shea is flying atm.

I though management were plámásing him when he came back at the beginning of the year and at best he'd get cameo roles.

yellowcard

Good day for Armagh as I think we are now practically safe irrespective of what happens in Omagh on the last day. Monaghan have done well to bring it to the last day of the season as they were probably most peoples favourites to be relegated at the outset. However I don't see them beating Mayo away from home on the last day irrespective of how motivated Mayo are. Relegation is probably no bad thing for Monaghan as they are in a rebuild phase at the minute and have still been reasonably competitive in most of their games in the top division. Donegal however  have much bigger problems, I think and they have failed to evolve or alter their style of play. From what I have seen of them they could easily sink lower before they improve again. They lack leadership and look like a demoralised outfit at the minute.

Contrast this with Mayo who have been the best team to watch during the entire League to date. I would have thought that they were entering a transition phase having lost so many players in the last few years so I'm not sure how they produce a new batch while still competing at the top level. I'd still have Kerry and Dublin as the top 2 sides but Mayo and Galway are probably the best of the rest at the minute and Connacht football now looks to be the most competitive province with Roscommon being not too far behind.     

Rudi

Quote from: J70 on March 19, 2023, 05:13:57 PM
Gallen looked like he did his hamstring there.

Absolutely brutal luck for him. He's never got a proper run at senior level due to injuries. And this was the year he was supposed to push on with Murphy gone and McBrearty out.

He has no luck, poor fella.

J70

So much for Ballybofey and Mayo never winning on Donegal soil. :-\

naka

Mayo will put out a scratch team next week
With the final the following week and the championship a week later
Armagh will need something in Omagh 🙈

twohands!!!

Quote from: yellowcard on March 19, 2023, 05:22:54 PM
Good day for Armagh as I think we are now practically safe irrespective of what happens in Omagh on the last day. Monaghan have done well to bring it to the last day of the season as they were probably most peoples favourites to be relegated at the outset. However I don't see them beating Mayo away from home on the last day irrespective of how motivated Mayo are. Relegation is probably no bad thing for Monaghan as they are in a rebuild phase at the minute and have still been reasonably competitive in most of their games in the top division. Donegal however  have much bigger problems, I think and they have failed to evolve or alter their style of play. From what I have seen of them they could easily sink lower before they improve again. They lack leadership and look like a demoralised outfit at the minute.

Contrast this with Mayo who have been the best team to watch during the entire League to date. I would have thought that they were entering a transition phase having lost so many players in the last few years so I'm not sure how they produce a new batch while still competing at the top level. I'd still have Kerry and Dublin as the top 2 sides but Mayo and Galway are probably the best of the rest at the minute and Connacht football now looks to be the most competitive province with Roscommon being not too far behind.   

I wouldn't be writing Monaghan off just yet. Mayo with nothing to play for and with lads probably with an eye on minding themselves for a league final versus Galway, Kerry or Roscommon against  a Monaghan side who have plenty past form in pulling off last day heroics.
Mayo are flying at the moment but I wonder if they can keep it up until the business end of the season.
The new structure and dates make it tough to figure if this is too soon to be in top form.

From the Bunker

Quote from: naka on March 19, 2023, 05:29:48 PM

That seems the likely senario.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Good day for Armagh as I think we are now practically safe irrespective of what happens in Omagh on the last day...

That's right, you barely need to turn up!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

yellowcard

What is a scratch team though? They might mix and match with a few new players but regardless I would still expect them to beat Monaghan at home. However, I hope the team and players expect the worst and go and put on a performance against Tyrone to leave the result of that match an irrelevance. A draw will guarantee safety and our own match against Tyrone has to be the focus this week. Despite our form and playing style this season I would still expect some sort of a reaction from Armagh next week but whether it is enough to get a result in Omagh remains to be seen.

From the Bunker

Contrast this with Mayo who have been the best team to watch during the entire League to date. I would have thought that they were entering a transition phase having lost so many players in the last few years so I'm not sure how they produce a new batch while still competing at the top level. 

The last decent group from Mayo was 2013-2017. Since 2017 that group of players have been retiring/dropped. That's 6 years ago. Seems like a short time to auld bucks like us.

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on March 19, 2023, 05:21:05 PM
Am I right in thinking Tyrone are now safe? Monaghan can catch us but we've the head to head plus a +17 point difference.

So am I.

Yes, Armagh will steam through Tyrone, probably by about 15 points, but 18+ might be a bit of a stretch 🙂
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

nrico2006

Quote from: Orior on March 19, 2023, 05:48:38 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 19, 2023, 05:21:05 PM

So am I.

Yes, Armagh will steam through Tyrone, probably by about 15 points, but 18+ might be a bit of a stretch 🙂

Is head to head not over scoring difference, therefore it won't matter how many Armagh win by.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 19, 2023, 05:53:22 PM
Is head to head not over scoring difference, therefore it won't matter how many Armagh win by.

Head to head, only if two teams on same points.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

seafoid

Chips or pizza ?
Monaghan have no motivation. Even half a team would beat them. They need a spell in rehab playing teams like Meath.
The Cóiste Bodhar will be waiting for them outside the ground after the match.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU