The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Roof deadly the lundy! Who'd have thought.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Smokin Joe

I do wonder how long the DUP will take to give their thoughts on the Framework.
Or indeed, how long they will be allowed to take by the UK govt.

Surely there isn't any logical reason why, more than a week later, they still haven't given their opinion on whether they can support it or not.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 09, 2023, 10:53:40 AM
I do wonder how long the DUP will take to give their thoughts on the Framework.
Or indeed, how long they will be allowed to take by the UK govt.

Surely there isn't any logical reason why, more than a week later, they still haven't given their opinion on whether they can support it or not.

They said by the end of the month, must be to piss people off but sure they'll still say no? Or must be gauging what's in it for them first from behind closed doors, all sorts of peerages being promised as sweeteners
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

They're  putting together a panel to assess it.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/windsor-framework-and-northern-ireland-protocol-who-is-who-on-dup-leader-sir-jeffrey-donaldsons-consultative-group-to-assess-eu-uk-agreement-and-what-have-they-said-about-the-protocol-4054064

I firmly believe they'll accept it (& have already come to that conclusion) this is all showboating for the bonehead elements. Also timed to run into Council election campaign.

Orior

Jim Alister feels his britishness is being eroded away bit by bit. Can we help him with a full list of that erosion?

1793 Penal Laws Removed (despite loyalist outrage)
1829 Catholic Emancipation (despite loyalist outrage)
1922 Ireland breaks free (despite loyalist outrage)
1973 Sunningdale Agreement (despite loyalist outrage)
1985 Anglo-Irish Agreement (despite loyalist outrage)
1998 Good Friday Agreement (loyalist outrage)
2016 Brexit Vote (loyalist jubilation)
2019 NI Protocol (loyalist outrage)
2023 Windsor Framework (loyalist outrage)
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Irish Church Act 1869 removed Protestantism as state religion in Ireland.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AustinPowers

Don't forget  about removing the fleg from  Belfast City Hall  ;)

weareros

Have to watch the Tories that to appease them they don't write something into NI Act that makes a border poll harder to achieve. That ultimately is what the DUP want out of this, a rewriting of the GFA to lock North into UK. They wouldn't care if every sausage was blocked at Larne and sent back to Cumberland if they achieved that.

marty34

Quote from: weareros on March 09, 2023, 01:32:59 PM
Have to watch the Tories that to appease them they don't write something into NI Act that makes a border poll harder to achieve. That ultimately is what the DUP want out of this, a rewriting of the GFA to lock North into UK. They wouldn't care if every sausage was blocked at Larne and sent back to Cumberland if they achieved that.

Yeah, I said that a while back, saying they're trying to re-write the GFA to say something similar.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on March 09, 2023, 02:33:59 PM

Yeah, I said that a while back, saying they're trying to re-write the GFA to say something similar.

Surely even this duplicitous shower of Tory scum couldn't try and do that in an international agreement OR could they?

NAG1

The mood music coming from the US was that this would be unacceptable and not tolerated.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on March 09, 2023, 02:38:54 PM

Surely even this duplicitous shower of Tory scum couldn't try and do that in an international agreement OR could they?

Why couldn't they? They could put in some wishy washy new act to get this protocol framework over the line.  Wouldn't surprise me.

The Torys don't care. It'll be a fudge, like the Windsor Framework - all smoke and mirrors.

bennydorano

Quote from: marty34 on March 09, 2023, 02:42:04 PM

Why couldn't they? They could put in some wishy washy new act to get this protocol framework over the line.  Wouldn't surprise me.

The Torys don't care. It'll be a fudge, like the Windsor Framework - all smoke and mirrors.
No chance. UK Government would just be swopping DUP outrage for Nationalist outrage

johnnycool

Quote from: bennydorano on March 09, 2023, 03:00:07 PM

No chance. UK Government would just be swopping DUP outrage for Nationalist outrage

Uncle Joe, oh Uncle Joe, those Brits are at it again!!!

marty34

Quote from: bennydorano on March 09, 2023, 03:00:07 PM

Probably not but what would nationalists do?

Can't see them out protesting alĂ  Bryson and the loyalists.

Even if the DUP got their way via the Windsor Framework a few weeks ago, what would nationalists do?