Quote from: Look-Up! on March 16, 2023, 05:17:39 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 16, 2023, 02:31:51 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on March 11, 2023, 06:08:49 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on March 11, 2023, 05:35:48 PM
Quote from: Mike Tyson on March 11, 2023, 02:28:47 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 11, 2023, 02:19:58 PM
Quote from: Mike Tyson on March 11, 2023, 01:34:13 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 10, 2023, 08:35:32 PM
So do you think there should be any actions available for landlords in cases where tenants don't pay rent? Or just tough sh!t and they should absorb the cost?

Yes there should.

What would it look like? It has to be enough of a deterrent to prevent widespread abuse of the rental system by tenants.

No idea, I don't set policy or have any plans to do so. Just absolutely zero sympathy for someone who buys a second property without affordability to repay the mortgage, then complains when it doesn't go according to plan!
The rent is the affordability. Handy enough to get tenants, if you've some bum refusing to pay rent out to f**k
I understand how some people see that as cold and callous and "throwing families on the side of the road" but that is the failure of government and social housing. People on the waiting list for over 10yrs! It really boils my piss when politicians try to lay that at the door of private individuals. They need to stop sniping and vote fishing and work together to come up with a solution. They literally found housing for thousands of Ukranians at the drop of a hat.

Landlords will generally work with tenants where there is good will and genuine effort. There are a lot of things to happen before someone gets turfed out. Hard to have sympathy for someone absolutely refusing to pay rent. There are welfare payments, HAP schemes, family supports, rent supplements etc readily available so sure, paying the full rent might be difficult but to pay the sum total of SFA, yes, you're a bum and a fraud. Literally.

Just wondering then do you think it is ok for a landlord to knowingly evict someone who is paying their rent knowing that there is no accommodation elsewhere that they can afford, thus making them homeless - just because it is not the landlords fault that there isn't other property available. Not saying landlords created the problem (that would be FFG) but unfortunately you are part of the solution and until housing is available, the state has a duty to do whatever has to be done to keep a roof over the heads of Irish Citizens.
Impossible to answer.

You'd have to be a heartless p***k to make someone homeless, someone who has been good to you for many years, if it was purely a means to put up your rent. Conversely it's equally heartless to deny someone access to their property if they or theirs are in danger of being homeless. Landlords fall under the category of Irish Citizens too.

End of the day it is the governments problem and they need to sort out social housing. Private rental market should be separate and there needs to be fluidity when it comes to leases and competition in it same as any healthy market.

Maybe you can answer your question with two scenarios.
1. You have a rental property 200 miles away well below market rent. Your daughter/son is starting university beside it in 6 months. Main reason you bought it in first place was with your kids in mind. They have no where else to stay. You happy to have them commuting for hours because someone else doesn't want to move 30 mins?
2. Your daughter/son has kid on the way. You'd like to rent them your spare property. Tenant is a decent person but there's nowhere else available at anything close to what you're charging. They don't want to move into their parent's garage. Do you move yours into your garage even though that's beneath other people. Again the main reason you bought rental in first place was with your kids in mind.

How do you legislate for situations like that or where the landlord is being a completely greedy heartless p***k? Government are totally to blame. One thing that people tend to overlook in homeless situation, and it is maybe one of the biggest factors to the crux of the issue where supply is static, falling occupancy rates increase homelessness. It's been an easy pitch lazy politicians been selling for years, promising more private ownership and running the nasty landlords out of town, all while sitting on their hands or being downright aggressive against new developments. That is always going to push people out on the street.
There needs to be incentives to get occupancy up. Funnily enough one of them is having a mortgage and needing rent and not leaving it idle. Someone else on here disgusted at someone having multiple properties and renting them out but said someone having 2 was a perfectly natural human need (I'm guessing holiday home) and no harm done. That's literally dropping occupancy rate to 50% at best, but probably much much less.

You can only legislate for the majority issue and this is a short term (hopefully) issue. The 2 examples you gave are understandable and if each case could be looked at individually then those would be allowed to evict. But I doubt those are the majority. More likely its big business and vulture funds that want to evict and this is what government is pandering too. FFG dont care about you or your kid in college or the family going onto the street. They care about the money. I totally agree those two parties especially are to blame for the situation the country is in and they are two parties I will never give any sort of a vote to personally.

Of course it's their fault.

This housing issie has been going on for 10 years and they've been in total government for all this time and they're just papering over the cracks.

As I said before, they're a housing crisis BUT the current government are not treating it like a crisis e.g. Covid, where everything was thrown at Covid.  This is what a lecturer said on a debate about the housing situation last week on a tv debate.

He's totally right.

This current government doesn't have the will, for whatever reason, to deal with the housing issue.
At the risk of sounding over cynical, COVID effected everyone so it was in everyone's interest, government and opposition, to get it sorted ASAP.

I don't think it's possible for a government, whoever they are that are in power, to get the full backing of everyone to go an a full on offensive to sort the homeless situation out. Would take some amount of co-operation on everything from budgets to emergency legislation for planning etc for it to work.

armaghniac

If people are not happy with the politicians representing them then they can sack them every 5 years. It is an insecure job.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Look-Up!

Show me a politician that can build the housing that needs to be built and they'll have my vote.

Anyone pushing any other policy is a charlatan selling the story of the loaves and fishes.

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on March 19, 2023, 11:51:23 AM
Show me a politician that can build the housing that needs to be built and they'll have my vote.

Anyone pushing any other policy is a charlatan selling the story of the loaves and fishes.

A cynic might ask why would a landlord want housing built, wouldn't it bring rents down?

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on March 19, 2023, 12:05:04 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on March 19, 2023, 11:51:23 AM

A cynic might ask why would a landlord want housing built, wouldn't it bring rents down?
Rents are far too high. Should be affordable. Affects everyone from their work choices to education. Landlords have families and friends too. Once the yields are realistic and stable, it's your choice to be a landlord or not. Better keep the get rich quick merchants out of it. Better keep it separate from social housing market too. Landlords in general prefer to avoid HAP but can end up in front of a judge for refusing. Plus a property is a huge asset and commitment with risk. So fluidity of leases suits everyone. If a landlord needs to get out of the game for whatever reason, being able to do so quickly reduces the risk.

Itchy

A day of Shame in the Dail but the silver lining is that many of these TDs will not serve another term, although I'm not sure the people being made newly homeless will see it like that.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/03/23/government-faces-further-pressure-over-evictions-ban-despite-dail-vote-win/

The Department of Tourism confirmed that changes to legislation to restrict Airbnb tenancies are to be delayed after the European Commission extended a "standstill period" for another nine months while the new law is considered until December 22nd.
Strengthened regulations, the Government believes, could cause 12,000 homes to come back into the rental market.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

general_lee

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 24, 2023, 02:18:36 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/caulmick/status/1639175657245507584?s=48&t=RYtl0Il2l5K_ejkHKyVHiA

Pretty shocking stuff.
Disgrace. Some crowd called Greendrive Asset Holdings. I wonder what the political affiliations of the directors are.

marty34

That's a joke and is just an example of what is happening in the south.

This FFG government is a joke. It's just getting worse.

armaghniac

marty34

armaghniac

Quote from: marty34 on March 24, 2023, 06:37:44 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 24, 2023, 06:15:39 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/caulmick/status/1639175657245507584?s=48&t=RYtl0Il2l5K_ejkHKyVHiA

Pretty shocking stuff.

Perhaps. But the new buyers will probably rent out these houses, is that not what people want?

Wtf?

They want to buy them.

Those people want to buy them, someone else wants to rent them. It is a game of musical chairs.

marty34

Quote from: armaghniac on March 24, 2023, 06:42:07 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 24, 2023, 06:37:44 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 24, 2023, 06:15:39 PM

Pretty shocking stuff.

Perhaps. But the new buyers will probably rent out these houses, is that not what people want?

Wtf?

They want to buy them.

Those people want to buy them, someone else wants to rent them. It is a game of musical chairs.

Is it not a vulture fund?

gallsman

Greendrive Asset Holdings with a registered address in Kilmaine doesn't quite sound like your typical vulture fund. Much more small time and with local knowledge I imagine.