Faceplate on BT Master Socket

Started by Smokin Joe, July 24, 2010, 09:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Who is resposnsible for this?  Me or BT?

When using the BT Master Socket I cannot get broadband, however, when I unscrew the faceplate and connect straight into the engineer's test socket my broadband works.

Therefore I am pretty certain that there is a problem with the faceplate (I have an NTE5 socket).

I know that I am supposed to be repsonsible for all wiring from the master socket, but am I respsonsible for the actual wiring of the face plate in the NTE5?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 24, 2010, 09:00:46 AM
Who is resposnsible for this?  Me or BT?

When using the BT Master Socket I cannot get broadband, however, when I unscrew the faceplate and connect straight into the engineer's test socket my broadband works.

Therefore I am pretty certain that there is a problem with the faceplate (I have an NTE5 socket).

I know that I am supposed to be repsonsible for all wiring from the master socket, but am I respsonsible for the actual wiring of the face plate in the NTE5?
Would assume it is you as BT run their cable into the socket from outside. Making the connections from the faceplate to rest of house.

deiseach

The faceplate is your problem. Anything past the test socket is classified as internal wiring. The reason for this is because it's not just that the faceplate could be faulty, the faceplate could be facilitating a mass of sockets within the house which could be faulty and interfering with your broadband connection. Plugging in to the test socket eliminates those potential problems (if you have secondary sockets, they won't work when you're in the test socket).

Ask BT if they offer a service whereby an engineer will call to the property and fix the faceplate / internal wiring. You will be charged, but at least BT take on some element of responsibility for their actions.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: deiseach on July 24, 2010, 11:33:40 AM
The faceplate is your problem. Anything past the test socket is classified as internal wiring. The reason for this is because it's not just that the faceplate could be faulty, the faceplate could be facilitating a mass of sockets within the house which could be faulty and interfering with your broadband connection. Plugging in to the test socket eliminates those potential problems (if you have secondary sockets, they won't work when you're in the test socket).

Ask BT if they offer a service whereby an engineer will call to the property and fix the faceplate / internal wiring. You will be charged, but at least BT take on some element of responsibility for their actions.

I phoned BT explained the issue, and they said that the Faceplate was their responsibility  :o

I was surprised at that. But at engineer has been booked for next week.

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

offtheground

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25075&s_cid=btb_FURL_accelerator

Geting one of these might help...

I got one last year. I can't honestly say it made my broadband any quicker or not, but if I hadn't got it I'd always be wondering...and it didn't make it any slower!! I think it works by disconnecting some redundant connections in the older face-plates that can slow your broadband. Anyways it was really cheap, less than a fiver if i remember correctly.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: offtheground on July 26, 2010, 08:43:52 AM
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25075&s_cid=btb_FURL_accelerator

Geting one of these might help...

I got one last year. I can't honestly say it made my broadband any quicker or not, but if I hadn't got it I'd always be wondering...and it didn't make it any slower!! I think it works by disconnecting some redundant connections in the older face-plates that can slow your broadband. Anyways it was really cheap, less than a fiver if i remember correctly.

I already have one of those.  It didn't seem to make any difference to me as I am connecting at approx 200kbps - the vagaries of living in the sticks I guess.

Engineer coming out on Wednesday, will see what he says.