The enemy of our enemy is our friend

Started by Smokin Joe, December 11, 2008, 12:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Anyone guess (or know) where this picture was taken?

ludermor

They do realise they are using a hunger striker to advertise a cafe?

armaghniac

There is a Bobby Sands street in Tehran.

Your man with the cafe will probably show "Hunger" on the big screen.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Smokin Joe

Quote from: armaghniac on December 11, 2008, 12:34:29 PM

Tehran it is.

5 Sams

There sure is...I have been there. Very close to the British Embassy...

The Aristocrat Years

corn02

Pretty certain that the British embassy use to be on the strett but moved because of the name?

youngfella

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 11, 2008, 12:43:06 PM

There sure is...I have been there. Very close to the British Embassy...

infidels have defaced our sign posts with western symbols!
Pull hard and early

Evil Genius

Quote from: Smokin Joe on December 11, 2008, 12:12:40 PM

Please Sir, me Sir, pick me, I know this one, Sir:

Apparently it is in the Darband area of Tehran.

Tbf, the cafe seems to take its name from the street, which was renamed in honour of Sands by the Iranian Government, as a gesture of solidarity with their Revolutionary Brothers in Ireland etc.

As such, the cafe owner has more of an excuse than e.g. those foine Oirish Patriots in Noraid in NJ, who came out with the following tasteful tribute:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/may/14/northernireland.henrymcdonald

As the unknown Shankill Road graffiti artist once declared, in a rare moment of Hunnish wit:
"We'll never forget you, Jimmy Sands!"  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 11, 2008, 01:05:16 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on December 11, 2008, 12:12:40 PM

Please Sir, me Sir, pick me, I know this one, Sir:

Apparently it is in the Darband area of Tehran.

Tbf, the cafe seems to take its name from the street, which was renamed in honour of Sands by the Iranian Government, as a gesture of solidarity with their Revolutionary Brothers in Ireland etc.

As such, the cafe owner has more of an excuse than e.g. those foine Oirish Patriots in Noraid in NJ, who came out with the following tasteful tribute:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/may/14/northernireland.henrymcdonald

As the unknown Shankill Road graffiti artist once declared, in a rare moment of Hunnish wit:
"We'll never forget you, Jimmy Sands!"  ;)
getting soundbiites from orawe is like getting gregory cambell to issue comment on behalf of the GAA  !
O'Hara is unhappy because the INLA people were never included by noraid before.
Noraid were a great group in the times that no one else had the bottle to stand up and help the victimised nationalist community.

anyhow, sure commemorative plates are not supposed to be used to eat food from....or does the orange half of the six counties regularly have their spam and beans lifted off lizzie windsor (saxen-gottberg etc) every 6pm unwittingly !  :D

Zapatista

I think the embassy is still in the corner of the same street. AFAIK they switched the enterance to the embassy from Bobby Sands street to the adjoining street.

As I understood it, during the Hungerstrike as a form of protest Iranian gathered outside the embassy and put Bobby Sands name on all the signs so his name could always be seen by those entering and leaving the embassy. Rather than have the signs removed the Irainian officals just renamed the street.

I'd say like everting else it is no more than the name of a street at this stage. I don't expect the Irianian think about it to much and I'd say the Brits couldn't care less.

Evil Genius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 11, 2008, 01:26:16 PM
anyhow, sure commemorative plates are not supposed to be used to eat food from....or does the orange half of the six counties regularly have their spam and beans lifted off lizzie windsor (saxen-gottberg etc) every 6pm unwittingly !  :D

Ah right, so a Hunger Strikers Commemorative Dinner Plate is (ahem) tasteful, after all. Righto so, my Order is winging its way to NJ via Cyberspace as we speak.

P.S. When was Her Majesty on Hunger Strike? Did I miss something? You'd have thought it would have been in the papers... ???
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ildanach

the street was previously known as winton churchill st. but it was changed in 1981.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Evil Genius

Quote from: corn02 on December 11, 2008, 12:45:19 PM
Pretty certain that the British embassy use to be on the strett but moved because of the name?
Not so. Apparently the Iranians named a street running behind/alongside? the British Embassy after Sands, in order to p1ss them off. However, those invidious Brits just ignored it*.
Whereas the naming of a Tehran street after the guy who assassinated Anwar Sadat continues to prevent the re-establishment of diplomatic relations between Egypt and Iran, it seems.

* - Which would make sense, since if they moved the Embassy to another location (something which could cost millions, btw), there would be nothing to stop the Iranians from renaming the new street address, either.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 11, 2008, 01:37:55 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 11, 2008, 01:26:16 PM

Ah right, so a Hunger Strikers Commemorative Dinner Plate is (ahem) tasteful, after all. Righto so, my Order is winging its way to NJ via Cyberspace as we speak.

P.S. When was Her Majesty on Hunger Strike? Did I miss something? You'd have thought it would have been in the papers... ???
not much of a comeback was it !
neither funny or intelligent.
No surprise there !
::)

nifan

Commemorative Dinner plates are for aul women anyway.
They are generally tacky, no matter what is being commemorated.