China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Where can we see a list of essential services that should remain open

JohnDenver

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 24, 2020, 07:03:16 AM

I would say that's the question on thousands of people's lips this morning. Apparently Sports Direct deem themselves as essential and are staying open. Shower of c***ts.

You'd wonder does Boris intentionally be so vague in his address? Or is he just the complete buffoon that we think he is.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: JohnDenver on March 24, 2020, 07:14:34 AM

I would say that's the question on thousands of people's lips this morning. Apparently Sports Direct deem themselves as essential and are staying open. Shower of c***ts.

You'd wonder does Boris intentionally be so vague in his address? Or is he just the complete buffoon that we think he is.

I could not believe how vague it was, so so weak

screenexile

Quote from: Solo_run on March 24, 2020, 12:19:48 AM
I work in pharmaceutical industry and my employer turns over 20+ billion a year (correction: it is valued at 20+ billion). They won't fork out on licenses for us to use software at home on our computers. Instead, they are willing to let us go into work and get the virus and spread it.

The other week a colleague that works opposite me went to Portugal. He has since been diagnosed with Covid 19. I have seen this colleague since he returned but was on holiday last week. Bearing in mind someone can be contagious upto 14 days before showing symptoms my work haven't bothered telling me I could be infected.

A colleagues dad died at the weekend and they are waiting on post mortem results and I suspect it's from Covid 19. My managers have not told anyone in the office what has happened. They havent even said why the person is off work.

I find my workplace incredibly stupid, negligent and ignorant towards this virus and they have put me at risk of passing on the virus to my elderly parents and my family.

I'm due back in to work in Wednesday and I have given them an ultimatum. Either they sort out a way for me to work from home or I will leave with immediate effect. I appreciate not everyone can do this but i'm angry with how tight the company is, how piss poor the management is and how they are not telling us about people in the office being off sick.

I don't think they can afford to lose 2 workers for the next two weeks but I think losing our jobs is inevitable with the looming recession that will hit.

From what I can see pharmaceutical companies are really busy right now is that not the case for you??

Regardless of that you're right if it's possible for you to work from home they should be doing everything they can to accommodate that most Pharma companies are big on "social responsibility" etc it seems strange that your company would do something so negligent with this.

I'd say a few well aimed tweets would help things as they don't like negative publicity if they can avoid it... unless day for price fixing they don't seem mind that!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on March 24, 2020, 07:32:58 AM
I work in pharmaceutical industry and my employer turns over 20+ billion a year (correction: it is valued at 20+ billion). They won't fork out on licenses for us to use software at home on our computers. Instead, they are willing to let us go into work and get the virus and spread it.

The other week a colleague that works opposite me went to Portugal. He has since been diagnosed with Covid 19. I have seen this colleague since he returned but was on holiday last week. Bearing in mind someone can be contagious upto 14 days before showing symptoms my work haven't bothered telling me I could be infected.

A colleagues dad died at the weekend and they are waiting on post mortem results and I suspect it's from Covid 19. My managers have not told anyone in the office what has happened. They havent even said why the person is off work.

I find my workplace incredibly stupid, negligent and ignorant towards this virus and they have put me at risk of passing on the virus to my elderly parents and my family.

I'm due back in to work in Wednesday and I have given them an ultimatum. Either they sort out a way for me to work from home or I will leave with immediate effect. I appreciate not everyone can do this but i'm angry with how tight the company is, how piss poor the management is and how they are not telling us about people in the office being off sick.

I don't think they can afford to lose 2 workers for the next two weeks but I think losing our jobs is inevitable with the looming recession that will hit.

From what I can see pharmaceutical companies are really busy right now is that not the case for you??

Regardless of that you're right if it's possible for you to work from home they should be doing everything they can to accommodate that most Pharma companies are big on "social responsibility" etc it seems strange that your company would do something so negligent with this.

I'd say a few well aimed tweets would help things as they don't like negative publicity if they can avoid it... unless day for price fixing they don't seem mind that!
Could be one in the Newry area...

Itchy

There is a company in Mayo doing something similar, and wait for it, paying people €40 extra a day to come to work. A totally reckless thing to do as it is basically tempting people who may be sick to come to work for extra money. Same company have been shockingly poor in getting themselves set up for this crisis. Poor leadership in a plant can have terrible outcomes.

Tony Baloney

Pure madness that there are big Pharma companies without the infrastructure to be capable of employees home working. Unfortunately everyone can't work from home so if you have manufacturing or labs people are going to be needed, however these areas should be cleaner than anywhere with people wearing gloves, hand-washing, HEPA filtered air etc.

Taylor

Quote from: JohnDenver on March 24, 2020, 07:14:34 AM

Backtracking from Fat Mike........now they are closing  ::)

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 23, 2020, 10:50:33 PM
That's our northern department closed.. not back till 13/4/20 at a minimum!

Crazy times

Full salary or 80% MR2?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 23, 2020, 10:48:29 PM
Don't know about anyone else but I don't see the need to have a dig at a display of emotion at this time. Have a go at their decision making by all means. No need for the cheap digs.

Ever hear of the expression - "crocodile tears"?
i usse an speelchekor

johnnycool

Quote from: johnnycool on March 20, 2020, 11:56:13 AM
Quote from: naka on March 20, 2020, 11:39:47 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 20, 2020, 10:55:24 AM
Quote from: naka on March 20, 2020, 10:44:59 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2020, 09:41:52 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 20, 2020, 09:12:38 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2020, 12:07:42 AM
Once the job crisis hits in the next few days it will cause a huge ripple effect across families, once the pressures start hitting everyone  then the cracks will appear.

The panic will be crazy. The GB government all talk about timing and ensuring that they have a handle on it. No country will or has in Europe until they lock down properly, when will the south do that? If they do the North needs to follow.

The vast majority of people are now aware of what we need to do. Should we not as a collective be a bit more sensible with the rhetoric we use though.
milltown
tbf i normally take 70 minutes to get to work in the city
today it took me 44
m1 from sprucefield was 8 minutes to grosvenor so the place is quiet
in my own offices we have 15 in
reality we need cash collection to pay the wages next week.
tonights statement by the chancellor will explain if the collective is ever going to happen

I'm in my place of work in Belfast watching people go about their day, things not overly busy for a Friday but no fear or worried conversations, I'm in a very controlled environment using best  practices based on information from our head office in Dublin, no one is really going to change unless the government steps in and forcefully orders it! People are still passing it on. I haven't asked anyone to be  shot, yet

Naka,
   As a business owner what's the feeling in relation to the loans on offer from the UK Government?

I thought it was a bit of a cop out TBH as it's not their money and will need paid back with interest no matter how low that is.
johnny
reality is a loan is no good
as it has an interest rate and all i would be doing is kicking the can down the road so effectively working to pay bills for the next couple of years
our work has dropped off a cliff
i like the idea of say 50% contribution through paye which will actually help the guys who do things right and pay their taxes properly .
it costs £250k a month to run my business with wages at circa 160k inclusive of paye/nic
so in lockdown there is no money to pay.
i can cover april but after that  well  its lay offs etc

teh small business relief only covers small firms. most sme don`t qualify

That's the other side of it as an employer that an employee like me probably doesn't see.

The haste of the decision by O'Neills whilst understandable to an extent is poor short termism IMO. Yes there's a good chance some clubs have pushed orders out but they'll still need the stuff come July/August hopefully.

They'll lose out in the cancellations of Feile ok, but will need to ramp up for the Christmas market.

That's different than losing business that you'll never get back like hotels, pubs, airlines and the supply chain in such industries.

Could O'Neiils not have offered to make hazmat suits?

So they finally realised their skillset was useful, thank god for that!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/sportswear-company-o-neills-to-make-hospital-scrubs-1.4210035

Armamike

Quote from: johnnycool on March 24, 2020, 09:24:33 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 20, 2020, 11:56:13 AM
Quote from: naka on March 20, 2020, 11:39:47 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 20, 2020, 10:55:24 AM
Quote from: naka on March 20, 2020, 10:44:59 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2020, 09:41:52 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 20, 2020, 09:12:38 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2020, 12:07:42 AM
Once the job crisis hits in the next few days it will cause a huge ripple effect across families, once the pressures start hitting everyone  then the cracks will appear.

The panic will be crazy. The GB government all talk about timing and ensuring that they have a handle on it. No country will or has in Europe until they lock down properly, when will the south do that? If they do the North needs to follow.

The vast majority of people are now aware of what we need to do. Should we not as a collective be a bit more sensible with the rhetoric we use though.
milltown
tbf i normally take 70 minutes to get to work in the city
today it took me 44
m1 from sprucefield was 8 minutes to grosvenor so the place is quiet
in my own offices we have 15 in
reality we need cash collection to pay the wages next week.
tonights statement by the chancellor will explain if the collective is ever going to happen

I'm in my place of work in Belfast watching people go about their day, things not overly busy for a Friday but no fear or worried conversations, I'm in a very controlled environment using best  practices based on information from our head office in Dublin, no one is really going to change unless the government steps in and forcefully orders it! People are still passing it on. I haven't asked anyone to be  shot, yet

Naka,
   As a business owner what's the feeling in relation to the loans on offer from the UK Government?

I thought it was a bit of a cop out TBH as it's not their money and will need paid back with interest no matter how low that is.
johnny
reality is a loan is no good
as it has an interest rate and all i would be doing is kicking the can down the road so effectively working to pay bills for the next couple of years
our work has dropped off a cliff
i like the idea of say 50% contribution through paye which will actually help the guys who do things right and pay their taxes properly .
it costs £250k a month to run my business with wages at circa 160k inclusive of paye/nic
so in lockdown there is no money to pay.
i can cover april but after that  well  its lay offs etc

teh small business relief only covers small firms. most sme don`t qualify

That's the other side of it as an employer that an employee like me probably doesn't see.

The haste of the decision by O'Neills whilst understandable to an extent is poor short termism IMO. Yes there's a good chance some clubs have pushed orders out but they'll still need the stuff come July/August hopefully.

They'll lose out in the cancellations of Feile ok, but will need to ramp up for the Christmas market.

That's different than losing business that you'll never get back like hotels, pubs, airlines and the supply chain in such industries.

Could O'Neiils not have offered to make hazmat suits?

So they finally realised their skillset was useful, thank god for that!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/sportswear-company-o-neills-to-make-hospital-scrubs-1.4210035

Good to see this.  A no brainer.
That's just, like your opinion man.

lurganblue

I was on the train this morning (have to as I'm a key worker they say).  Must say that I was glad to see that the train was basically empty.  There wasn't even many cars in the carpark either.

trueblue1234

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 24, 2020, 09:09:19 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 23, 2020, 10:48:29 PM
Don't know about anyone else but I don't see the need to have a dig at a display of emotion at this time. Have a go at their decision making by all means. No need for the cheap digs.

Ever hear of the expression - "crocodile tears"?
Yes
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit