LGFA

Started by Truth hurts, March 21, 2023, 10:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

When will the GAA integrate with the LGFA?
The numbers in the LGFA are huge and they need a place at the top table soon.

Captain Scarlet

Ask them and the Camogie crew too!

It makes sense but is it not the case that there is some pushback from the top tables in their organisations? Sure the Camogie and LGFA actively try to mess each other around at various levels constantly.

Then the GAA gets the bad press anyway, as the Twitter heads don't even know that they have no sway over it.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

JimStynes

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 21, 2023, 10:56:13 AM
When will the GAA integrate with the LGFA?
The numbers in the LGFA are huge and they need a place at the top table soon.

They don't want to join in many cases!!

imtommygunn

Listen to Jarlath Burns on that GAA social podcast. They do want to but many things to iron out too.

thewobbler

The more likely this becomes the more I'm thinking the GAA needs a bloody big "pre nup" as part of the merger.

Let's call a spade a spade. This would not be a partnership of equals. One organisation brings all the grounds and premises, the long-standing  tradition of volunteerism, the sponsorship, the media, the political influence, and the majority of players. The other organisations bring a minority of players.

The current hierarchy whereby men's football and hurling are pegged above their female counterparts in terms of importance is owed most significantly to the ownership of grounds. Currently one sport can call the tune ahead of the others. The other sports then set their schedules in and around what's left.

For everyone's sanity it has to stay that way. When the availability of facilities cannot keep up with demand, absolutely no good can come from an equal balance of power.

Equality yes. Egalitarianism, no. That's not going to work.

dec

Are there any stand alone camogie or ladies football clubs? Any teams that I am aware of are part of GAA clubs.

rosnarun

Quote from: thewobbler on March 21, 2023, 12:43:50 PM
The more likely this becomes the more I'm thinking the GAA needs a bloody big "pre nup" as part of the merger.

Let's call a spade a spade. This would not be a partnership of equals. One organisation brings all the grounds and premises, the long-standing  tradition of volunteerism, the sponsorship, the media, the political influence, and the majority of players. The other organisations bring a minority of players.

The current hierarchy whereby men's football and hurling are pegged above their female counterparts in terms of importance is owed most significantly to the ownership of grounds. Currently one sport can call the tune ahead of the others. The other sports then set their schedules in and around what's left.

For everyone's sanity it has to stay that way. When the availability of facilities cannot keep up with demand, absolutely no good can come from an equal balance of power.

thet should of course be free to join as 100% menbers but before signing up they should sake the Government down for pitches and funding s least at the level of Rugby/
I only know 2 'lsdird' pitches both in offaly one for county teans and one for Tullamore
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

trailer

Yes the "Men's GAA" bring the infrastructure and why wouldn't they, they've had a 130 or 40 year head start. The LGFA and Camogie will bring a lot of things. I know in my own local club where it is basically run as one, the Ladies bring a whole different dimension to fundraising, coaching, and lots more.
The ladies are afraid it will be a take over. I think we take our time and get it right for all parties. One thing is for sure we could learn a lot from them, even in how their All Ireland competitions are run, with Senior, Intermediate and Junior all Irelands.

Truth hurts

Quote from: trailer on March 21, 2023, 04:10:57 PM

Yes the "Men's GAA" bring the infrastructure and why wouldn't they, they've had a 130 or 40 year head start. The LGFA and Camogie will bring a lot of things. I know in my own local club where it is basically run as one, the Ladies bring a whole different dimension to fundraising, coaching, and lots more.
The ladies are afraid it will be a take over. I think we take our time and get it right for all parties. One thing is for sure we could learn a lot from them, even in how their All Ireland competitions are run, with Senior, Intermediate and Junior all Irelands.

A gripe I have with the LGFA is that there are too many competitions. Last year in Down there were 9 championships played for at senior level.

Itchy

Quote from: dec on March 21, 2023, 12:51:19 PM
Are there any stand alone camogie or ladies football clubs? Any teams that I am aware of are part of GAA clubs.

I can think of 2 or 3 close to me.

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on March 21, 2023, 06:57:39 PM

With their own pitch?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Cavan19

Quote from: armaghniac on March 21, 2023, 08:01:03 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 21, 2023, 06:57:39 PM

With their own pitch?

There is none in Cavan that are stand alone.

thewobbler

FWIW I reckon the main problems aren't going to appear at club level, but at county board level.

For a county board to be able to function after the merger, then all four sports will need representation. And that'll be immediately followed by the requirement for a voice in most decisions. Such as in CCC and what nights are allocated for which sports in the county.

Here's how this will go down in some county boards. LGFA or camogie reps will kick up a fuss about football and hurling having the plum slots; and batter the equality drum to death. Football and hurling will ignore them and hope they go away. In some counties there'll be a perennial stand off. In other counties, members of  LGFA or camogie will hatch a plan to slowly take control of CCC. They'll get there after a few years and will fulfll their plan. The following year, football or hurling people will retake CCC, and will be painted as some bad guys from a prehistoric age, just for re-registering the status quo. And then there'll be holy war for a few years as both sides dig in.

All it takes for this scenario is a couple of rabble rousers to stoke the flames. All it takes to stop it is a pre nup that says something along the lines of "men's sport built the facilities in this county, so when nobody can agree anything, they get first dibs.... But to try to ensure it doesn't come to this".

Eire90

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 21, 2023, 04:22:00 PM

A gripe I have with the LGFA is that there are too many competitions. Last year in Down there were 9 championships played for at senior level.

what do you mean by 9 championships do you mean there was like 9   different tournaments  like league knockout cups  etc

Mourne Red

Quote from: Eire90 on March 22, 2023, 04:51:30 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on March 21, 2023, 04:22:00 PM

what do you mean by 9 championships do you mean there was like 9   different tournaments  like league knockout cups  etc

Best way to describe it is.. Champions League (A Championship) if you lose you went into Europa (B Championship) then if you lost again you went into Euro Conference league (C Championship).

This was for all grades Senior, Intermediate and Junior