Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

johnnycool

Quote from: Franko on November 24, 2022, 05:53:38 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 24, 2022, 03:05:52 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 24, 2022, 09:04:01 AM
Quote from: Franko on November 23, 2022, 10:26:57 PM
This is not a blow for the SNP

Sturgeon knew exactly how this was going to play out - any fool getting legal advice should've known that the devolved administrations can't just call a referendum and leave of their own accord - the decision was always going go be this way

Hence the UK Govt requested that the Supreme Court decline to rule on the matter at all

She asked the question to demonstrate exactly what someone said earlier - that the way things are is akin to a hostage situation

Except that nobody's really sure if the hostage wants to leave it's captor

They asked him a few years ago but Stockholm Syndrome meant that he didn't want to go.

But now they've cut him to one meal a day and gagged him so he can't be asked the question again

Today's ruling was a boost for the independence campaign

Exactly this.

If the UKSC had ruled in favour of the SNP they'd have been like a dog chasing a car, and finally getting caught up with it, not knowing what to do. The SNP knew they needed another "wedge" issue and the UKSC have handed them one, the denial of democracy to the Scottish voter, so it will be interesting how the next GE goes north of the GB border.

Does it though? If the SNP pick up every single seat north of the border does it actually make them more powerful? The power ultimately resides with Westminster.

It definitely does

But Sturgeon's strategy here is to present a case that the Scots want away, but London won't let them

She wants to destroy the whole 'voluntary union of equals' nonsense

The SNP (hypothetically) winning every seat in Scotland on an independence manifesto would a clear demonstration of this and would make it very difficult politically for Westminster to deny a referendum

There nothing that makes you want to do something more than some superior cnut telling you that you can't

Especially in a Rees Mogg accent..

Eire90

The scots wont do anything but moan online

Armagh18

Quote from: Eire90 on November 25, 2022, 10:12:46 AM
The scots wont do anything but moan online
seemed to be a right few on the streets the other day.

bennydorano

With Nicola going, what does the future hold for Scotland & the SNP? I don't know much about the leading lights behind the scene, is there any charismatic unknown waiting to take the place by storm?? Will Blackford be parachuted in from Westminster?

I thought Sturgeon was reading the room very badly in the whole transgender / self identification scenario and then your rapist (wo)man trying to self id as female was the final nail in the coffin.

Armagh18

Quote from: bennydorano on February 15, 2023, 01:41:06 PM
With Nicola going, what does the future hold for Scotland & the SNP? I don't know much about the leading lights behind the scene, is there any charismatic unknown waiting to take the place by storm?? Will Blackford be parachuted in from Westminster?

I thought Sturgeon was reading the room very badly in the whole transgender / self identification scenario and then your rapist (wo)man trying to self id as female was the final nail in the coffin.
Yeah that stuff was all madness. Apparently some financial irregularities involving the snp and her husband are going to come out so maybe that is part of the reason. I think she said lately that she had plenty left to give so wouldn't be surprised if she's being pushed out.

imtommygunn

Yeah I think there are maybe skeletons in the closet here. It just seems too quick.

trailer

This will end many many careers. Dogmatic support for Transgender people without a care for others will be many peoples downfall. The vast majority don't support Men who are transitioning to women with unfettered access to toilets, sports, changing rooms and prisons!

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 15, 2023, 02:25:26 PM
Yeah I think there are maybe skeletons in the closet here. It just seems too quick.

The London media were always going to be digging very deep to discredit here although they don't seem overly bothered by the shítshow going on in Westminster

Armagh18

Quote from: johnnycool on February 15, 2023, 02:32:20 PM

The London media were always going to be digging very deep to discredit here although they don't seem overly bothered by the shítshow going on in Westminster
Yeah whatever scandal they dig up about Sturgeon it'll be half as bad and get twice the coverage and outrage that the Tories scandals get!

imtommygunn

There are that many scandals they're not scandals any more in the tory party. It's nigh impossible for the media, or anyone else, to keep up.

Kidder81

Quote from: johnnycool on February 15, 2023, 02:32:20 PM

Sturgeon fucked it up all by herself, nothing to do with the media

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on February 15, 2023, 02:31:49 PM

This will end many many careers. Dogmatic support for Transgender people without a care for others will be many peoples downfall. The vast majority don't support Men who are transitioning to women with unfettered access to toilets, sports, changing rooms and prisons!
The tide seems to be turning alright. Especially given the very poor trans quality control.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RedHand88

Quote from: seafoid on February 16, 2023, 05:57:14 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 15, 2023, 02:31:49 PM

The tide seems to be turning alright. Especially given the very poor trans quality control.

I agree. I've noticed a few things in the last while that make me think this is a phase as opposed to the new norm. The Tavistock clinic being shut down, the women's rugby union banning it, as well as people I know who would have supported them vehemently in the past now accepting there are issues that need to be considered.

I think there is a cultural shift slowly happening. They tried to get everyone to boycott the new Harry Potter game because of JK Rowling.
It's becoming one of the highest selling games ever.

Having the Sam Smiths of this world as their poster person does them no favours.

imtommygunn

The sport argument is a big thing in it which will impact it greatly and JK Rowling's views on it I would say are huge too because she can't exactly be accused of being a big right winger etc.