Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Draft Referendum Bill published and Nicola cleared of allegations of breaking Ministerial code.

sid waddell

Quote from: Rossfan on March 22, 2021, 04:57:30 PM
Draft Referendum Bill published and Nicola cleared of allegations of breaking Ministerial code.
Time for Priti Patel to resign so

Main Street

Nic was cleared by a neutral investigation.  It's the height of farce that any politician be investigated by a panel of  politicians, including opposition politicians who blatantly  put self intrest first and breach one of the the fundamental foundations of law and ethics, namely conflict of interest. When conflict of interest is breached, the ethics panel member should stand down immediately, yet this Scot parliament panel ploughed on with a blatantl overt bias against the accused and leaked documents to the  Brit government for crooked purposes. 

johnnycool

Quote from: Main Street on March 22, 2021, 10:38:54 PM
Nic was cleared by a neutral investigation.  It's the height of farce that any politician be investigated by a panel of  politicians, including opposition politicians who blatantly  put self intrest first and breach one of the the fundamental foundations of law and ethics, namely conflict of interest. When conflict of interest is breached, the ethics panel member should stand down immediately, yet this Scot parliament panel ploughed on with a blatantl overt bias against the accused and leaked documents to the  Brit government for crooked purposes.

Saw a few tweets from Andrew Neil. He must be gutted as he and the Spectator are gunning for Nicola for fear the SNP gain and outright majority in the Holyrood elections coming up.

bennydorano

The Unionist parties think Andrew Neil is an asset - I'd imagine the Nationalists think he's an asset for them too. Interesting Election ahead.

sid waddell

More than a bit hypocritical of Douglas Ross to reject the findings of the independent referee James Hamilton

Should be shown the red card for dissent

Andrew Neil is about as much of an asset to the Scottish Unionist campaign as Lord Haw Haw would be to a united Ireland campaign

bennydorano

Salmond must be getting money from MI5 or something.

BBC News - Former SNP leader Alex Salmond launches new political party
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56539696

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: bennydorano on March 26, 2021, 04:16:02 PM
Salmond must be getting money from MI5 or something.

BBC News - Former SNP leader Alex Salmond launches new political party
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56539696

It wont be a bad thing in the long run. It may split some votes and cost Westminster seats but for every other election including a Referendum it can only help get more votes out

Rossfan

I see they're only going to stand in the List oart of the election  so won't be splitting the votes in the Constituency part.

Hopefully things will go as per this Opinion poll
https://www.thenational.scot/news/19188728.snp-track-secure-majority-voters-put-trust-nicola-sturgeon/

bennydorano

Kenny MacAskill MP (East Lothian) has left the Scottish National Party and joined the Alba Party.

Twitter - Britain Elects

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on March 26, 2021, 04:53:08 PM
I see they're only going to stand in the List oart of the election  so won't be splitting the votes in the Constituency part.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19188728.snp-track-secure-majority-voters-put-trust-nicola-sturgeon/
Ross, I know as much about the Scottish referendum movement as sid does about the Irish Civil War so, as always, I turn to you for guidance.
List vs Constituency??
Can you please enlighten an ignoramus?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

armaghniac

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 27, 2021, 10:52:08 PM

Ross, I know as much about the Scottish referendum movement as sid does about the Irish Civil War so, as always, I turn to you for guidance.
List vs Constituency??

In Scotland they don't use STV multi-seat constituencies for the parliament although they do for the local councils.
The lists is a party list and is used to balance things up. So the Greens might not come first in any constituency, but a lot of people might support them and since they didn't win any constituency seats they would get a few on the list.

In the case of Salmond's new Alba party, if he ran in constituencies then he might split the nationalist vote and some Tory or Lib Dem might get in instead. But in the list it is multi seat and you could vote for the SNP guy in the constituency and plump for Alba on the list.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lar Naparka

Quote from: armaghniac on March 27, 2021, 11:16:43 PM

List vs Constituency??

In Scotland they don't use STV multi-seat constituencies for the parliament although they do for the local councils.
The lists is a party list and is used to balance things up. So the Greens might not come first in any constituency, but a lot of people might support them and since they didn't win any constituency seats they would get a few on the list.

In the case of Salmond's new Alba party, if he ran in constituencies then he might split the nationalist vote and some Tory or Lib Dem might get in instead. But in the list it is multi seat and you could vote for the SNP guy in the constituency and plump for Alba on the list.
Thanks very much. I get the idea now.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ned

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 27, 2021, 11:29:25 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 27, 2021, 11:16:43 PM

List vs Constituency??

Thanks very much. I get the idea now.

Although it is complicated further by splitting of the list vote, dependent on how many constituency MSPs are returned for that party. This means if a party sweeps the board in the constituency vote, their list vote may be diluted. Theory is this prevents one party winning a big majority unless they have a massive percentage of the vote. So in some areas, if you vote SNP, for example, it may be better giving your list vote to another party.