Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Godsown

The whole thing will get very messy. This particular brand of conservatism will plumb any depths for their own agenda and know they will get away with it. None of them are held to account and no doubt Cummings and his like are in the background.

Main Street

So far, everything Johnson has done has boosted the drive in support for independence.  Appointing Cummings, the brains behind the Brexit campaign,  into a  save the union campaign in a country which has voted 62% to remain,  would likely inspire a particular revolting effect. Recent polls in Scotland indicate that a solid 63% would vote in a referendum  to return to the EU. 

five points

Quote from: Main Street on February 24, 2021, 11:27:10 AM
So far, everything Johnson has done has boosted the drive in support for independence.  Appointing Cummings, the brains behind the Brexit campaign,  into a  save the union campaign in a country which has voted 62% to remain,  would likely inspire a particular revolting effect. Recent polls in Scotland indicate that a solid 63% would vote in a referendum  to return to the EU.

Before or after the vaccine fiasco?

bennydorano

johnnycool

Quote from: bennydorano on February 25, 2021, 08:02:29 AM
Andrew Neil Opinion piece in the Mail about the current shenanigans

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1364823729704951810?s=09

The ministerial code is now sacrosanct but when Hancock and the crony contract culture was exposed as being illegal it wasn't so.

The SNP may have been in coverup mode but the London based media are out to get them in a big way no more so that Uncle Toms Andrew Neil and his Spectator editor..

Double standards.

Godsown

Quote from: Main Street on February 24, 2021, 11:27:10 AM

Certainly wouldn't see Cummings as the Face of anti independence campaign, but it is the work that the likes of him and the Steve Bannons of the world do in the dark recesses and with manipulation of the media and social media that has proved to be so effective in championing division and lies that would be of concern

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

pbat

I think MI5 or MI6 are all over Scottish politics

Main Street

Quote from: johnnycool on February 25, 2021, 09:21:56 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 25, 2021, 08:02:29 AM
Andrew Neil Opinion piece in the Mail about the current shenanigans

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1364823729704951810?s=09

The ministerial code is now sacrosanct but when Hancock and the crony contract culture was exposed as being illegal it wasn't so.

The SNP may have been in coverup mode but the London based media are out to get them in a big way no more so that Uncle Toms Andrew Neil and his Spectator editor..

Double standards.

The Tory media appear to be very exercised by affairs in Scotland. In the Spectator there's 3 of the top 5 articles about the troublesome rebellious Scots, giving account to Machiavellian Nicola and the support machinations of the SNP.   Neil et al must get paid by the word.

Unfortunately for them, Salmond's  presenting a Trudy and Sid line of attack, that it was all a conspiracy,  Nicola, her husband, SNP, the crown prosecution and the 14 women, all conspiring together to get Salmond locked away and nothing of substance offered to support except for the unbelievable conspiracy tale itself.

bennydorano

It's the independence of the Crown Service, that's really being questioned, there's a view that they are working hand in glove with the SNP Government on this, when they are supposedly an Independent Judiciary.

Andrew Neil is one of the best interviewers I have ever seen, he scares the shite out of left & right and holds them all to account - this however appears personal to me, he's an unabashed Scottish Unionist and despises the SNP with a passion. He's convinced if they bring Nicola down the notion of Independence is over for a long time.

It is of course all a bit rich considering what the Tories get away with in national Government.

Rossfan

Independence us hardly depending on 1 person.
Are the Greens not also in "Government" in Scotland or do they just support the SNP in votes?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bennydorano

Think it's officially a minority government. The Greens are pro-Independence bedfellows anyway, so probably an unwritten agreement.

The SNP have had 2 great leaders in Salmond & Nicola, I dunno much about the talent in the Holyrood tbh, but Ian Blackford the leader in the HOC doesn't impress me. I think Andrew Neil & co think if she goes the Independence movement is badly damaged.

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on February 25, 2021, 05:44:06 PM
It's the independence of the Crown Service, that's really being questioned, there's a view that they are working hand in glove with the SNP Government on this, when they are supposedly an Independent Judiciary.

Andrew Neil is one of the best interviewers I have ever seen, he scares the shite out of left & right and holds them all to account - this however appears personal to me, he's an unabashed Scottish Unionist and despises the SNP with a passion. He's convinced if they bring Nicola down the notion of Independence is over for a long time.

It is of course all a bit rich considering what the Tories get away with in national Government.
Regardless who was authorized to investigate, the allegations were so serious it was imperative to investigate them and when you read the witness statements of the women  it was a rational choice  to prosecute. Salmond is claiming conspiracy with not a morsel of evidence to support his claim, and  it follows that his claims of prosecution conspiracy imply the women were in on the conspiracy from the beginning. The Crown/SNP conspiracy would not be complete unless the women were a part of it.

balladmaker

Quote from: pbat on February 25, 2021, 03:35:31 PM

Guaranteed.  Anything which threatens England's interests will ensure their security services are unleashed, there'll be all sorts of black arts and dirty tricks perpetrated in the near future.

sid waddell

Quote from: pbat on February 25, 2021, 03:35:31 PM
Well Alex Salmond does work for RT, which is a bit of a red flag