Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Jeepers Creepers

thebigfella

Common sense prevails.

The yes campaign was a shambles; I would argue only Sinn Fein has less of an understanding on economics. They done nothing to convince the people with something to lose, they would not be worse off if they voted for independence.

It's easy to be patriotic when you have nothing to lose and fcuk all else to occupy yourself with. Calling the no campaign negative and scare mongering for pointing out uncertainties is just a way of detracting from the fact, the yes campaign was crap. They had 18 months to prepare answers to all the questions but still trotted out the same responses. Better to be ruled from Westminster and keep the status quo than ruled by a set of numpties.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: thebigfella on September 19, 2014, 11:52:40 AM
Common sense prevails.

The yes campaign was a shambles; I would argue only Sinn Fein has less of an understanding on economics. They done nothing to convince the people with something to lose, they would not be worse off if they voted for independence.

It's easy to be patriotic when you have nothing to lose and fcuk all else to occupy yourself with. Calling the no campaign negative and scare mongering for pointing out uncertainties is just a way of detracting from the fact, the yes campaign was crap. They had 18 months to prepare answers to all the questions but still trotted out the same responses. Better to be ruled from Westminster and keep the status quo than ruled by a set of numpties.

You mean better the numpty you know?

armaghniac

I think the SNP generally  are far ahead of SF in their understanding of economics, which isn't hard. However, it is difficult to put forward concrete proposals when the British government and the EU are basically saying that we are not going to talk about it until after the referendum. This means that there are many things which remain unclear.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

deiseach

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 19, 2014, 11:55:50 AM

If I'm being fair, I would admit to sympathy with the hundreds of thousands of Scots who share a country with people who look at David Cameron and think "better the numpty we know"...

thebigfella

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 19, 2014, 11:55:50 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on September 19, 2014, 11:52:40 AM
Common sense prevails.

Yes in a round about way  :P

Zip Code

Quote from: armaghniac on September 19, 2014, 11:57:18 AM
I think the SNP generally  are far ahead of SF in their understanding of economics, which isn't hard. However, it is difficult to put forward concrete proposals when the British government and the EU are basically saying that we are not going to talk about it until after the referendum. This means that there are many things which remain unclear.

There are school children far ahead of SF in their understanding of economics ffs.

thebigfella

Quote from: armaghniac on September 19, 2014, 11:57:18 AM

The British government categorically stated there would be no shared currency. The EU said they would not get automatic entry into the EU and no discussion until after the referendum (probably until independence). These are facts and not uncertainties which the yes campaign choose to ignore.

seafoid

It was a bit like Atletico vs Real in the CL final. 1-0 with 5 minutes left. . Gordy Brown as Ronaldo. It went to extra time and everything.
Will be interesting to see the age split of nos. Could be a generational thing. Beidh aris ann.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

The people spoke. Talk of chickening out etc.. is nonsense, everyone had their own decision to make & did so, reasons now are irrelevant.

weareros

Thought the Yes campaign started to lose the momentum they were rapidly gaining when RBS and Lloyds said they'd relocate to London. That was a spectacular missed opportunity by Yes to say "These are banks that failed and then even squandered the bailouts from the taxpayers... let's not take economic advice from these crowd of ganststers." Can you imagine Anglo Irish Bank having that effect in Ireland? Instead they turned on the BBC and were portrayed as fanatics. Even though they were 100% right about the BBC. And their coverage in the early hours of the morning put me to sleep.

But bottom line, the Scots are a spineless lot. They need to dump the Tartan Army, proud Celt, Scotland the Brave lark. Scotland the Brave was ripped off from O'Donnell Abu anyway. They will forever more be just known as a little piece of England. Such a parcel of rogues as Robbie Burns would say.

bennydorano

The EU referendum further down the line has a greater potential to derail the Union. It will make clear the differences in the regions, to make generalisations - England likely to have a majority vote to leave, Scotland & Wales unlikely, NI is debatable & could fall on largely Sectarian clones as Unionism has no love for the EU (quelle surprise). The Cities of London & Birmingham clubbed together have the population of the other 3 countries of the union put together & could in theory cast enough votes to outvote 3 'pro-EU' countries and the whole of the UK has to go.

deiseach

Quote from: bennydorano on September 19, 2014, 01:09:12 PM
The people spoke. Talk of chickening out etc.. is nonsense, everyone had their own decision to make & did so, reasons now are irrelevant.

So once a vote is over,  there's no point discussing the reasons the people spoke because, uh, the people spoke?

AQMP

Frankie Boyle:  "I should have expected this, for if you'd asked me to estimate how many cnuts there were in Scotland I'd have said about 2 million"

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe