Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

seafoid

Quote from: passedit on September 17, 2014, 08:53:51 AM
Quote from: Zip Code on September 17, 2014, 07:58:52 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on September 17, 2014, 07:56:16 AM
Eh? Simple majority required.

Good man benny - 60%+ No was my prediction.  ;)

The higher the turnout the more chance yes has. More panic from the tools of No.

The Mirror of all papers.

There appears to a typo there, Fighting Dictators should say Clearing Highlands.

No mention of Culloden either
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2014, 10:49:31 AM
Quote from: passedit on September 17, 2014, 08:53:51 AM
Quote from: Zip Code on September 17, 2014, 07:58:52 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on September 17, 2014, 07:56:16 AM
Eh? Simple majority required.

Good man benny - 60%+ No was my prediction.  ;)

The higher the turnout the more chance yes has. More panic from the tools of No.

The Mirror of all papers.

There appears to a typo there, Fighting Dictators should say Clearing Highlands.

No mention of Culloden either

Did they consider all meanings of the words 'We celebrate in this historic pullout'?
MWWSI 2017

Denn Forever

What is the name of the stone that symbolised the power of The King of Scotland that was removed?  Would it be given back?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

deiseach

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 17, 2014, 11:07:14 AM
What is the name of the stone that symbolised the power of The King of Scotland that was removed?  Would it be given back?

The Stone of Scone. It was returned to Scotland in 1996.

seafoid

The guff about saving the NHS is really over the top giving the Tories are slowly flogging off big chunks of it to the private sector.

Bord na Mona man

What side of the voters are motivated to get out and vote?
I'd guess the Yes ones are the more driven ones and slightly more likely to vote, while the No are happier with the status quo and might be more apathetic.
It could be worth a couple of % points in the end.
Opinion polls supposedly put a weighting on the likelihood of the person being polled actually voting. But it can hardly be scientific.

theskull1

Spotted the saltire flying from a house in a nationalist area near an interface area.  ::)

As much as it tells a tale about how we goad with flags in this country....I couldn't help but smile
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

weareros

This quote from Bill Clinton highlights all the BS the Yes side have to put up with.

"Because the independence vote is a decision for the Scots alone to make, and because Scots are already legendary for their independence of mind, I have been reluctant to express my views on the matter. I hope my decision to do so will be received in the spirit of friendship with which it is offered," Clinton said in a statement released through the Better Together campaign.

Oh yeah, not interfering in a statement released through Better Together Campaign.

Add to this the bias of the BBC, the British media at large, world politicians (Obama, Barrosa etc), the portrayals of Scottish Nationalism = bad, British Nationalism = Unity.

Hopefully, the younger generation of Scots will prevail tomorrow. And if they do, watch them become a modern and prosperous Northern European country.

AZOffaly

Why would anyone expect the BBC to even be remotely neutral in this? They are the 'British' Broadcasting Corporation, and receive significant License Fees from Scotland. I know they should be objective and unbiased, as part of their broadcasting remit, but Jaysus I'd be shocked if these turkeys didn't try and vote Christmas out.

deiseach

In fairness Bill Clinton is a private citizen these days. His intervention is far more appropriate than that of Barack Obama or Tony Abbott. And the latter would have succeeded in driving people into the Yes camp with his croppy-lie-down comments.

Zip Code

7am result will be known - some amount of Scots one way or the other pished by lunchtime on Friday.  ;D

armaghniac

At the bookies, the continuation of the UK is less certain than the outcome of the Armagh Championship with 3 games to go. This is a good day on 2 counts.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Zip Code

Is that the Armagh championship for the next decade!!

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on September 17, 2014, 02:14:24 PM
In fairness Bill Clinton is a private citizen these days. His intervention is far more appropriate than that of Barack Obama or Tony Abbott. And the latter would have succeeded in driving people into the Yes camp with his croppy-lie-down comments.

"Shadow international development secretary Jim Murphy played down Mr Abbott's remarks.
The Labour MP, who was campaigning for Better Together in Clydebank, told BBC Scotland that Australians were "famously outspoken and famously direct"

almost as bad as Dutch people but they kept their noses out of the debate

deiseach

Thursday night, Friday morning in my gaff:

(Be grateful there's no such thing as Smell-o-Gif)