Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

BennyCake

I said all along it would be No. This latest scaremongering confirms it.

johnneycool

Quote from: BennyCake on September 15, 2014, 08:52:52 PM
I said all along it would be No. This latest scaremongering confirms it.

As much as the yes campaign have done a pretty decent job I still think most Scots with vote for the status quo and No will win out

keep her low this half

I think Yes will sneak it but it will be tight. If you look at the last Scottish elections the SNP were trailing until about 1 month before the election then surged to gain an outright majority that was meant to be impossible under the election system for the Scottish parliment. They seem to be timing their surge exactly once again. There strongest card is the NO camp who have a basic argument that Scots are too stupid to run an economy. If anything was guaranteed to annoy voters it is telling them they are stupid

Kidder81

armaghniac

I'd say no by a clear 4-5%. I put a few quid on this, but if I lose my money it will be worth it just to see the consternation!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 15, 2014, 08:24:42 PM
I have a feeling the Yes campaign will sneak it. Bet Cameron's sorry he didn't let Salmond have Devo Max on the ballot paper... and Salmond delighted that he was denied this.

Some rumours that Murdoch will come out in support of Yes. Would be very interesting if that happened.

I've been wondering about Murdoch myself. Seems to have been a bit quiet on this one.

orangeman

No 1-4 yes 3-1

Bookies don't often get it wrong.

Ulick

Speculation was Murdoch would support it but after his 'tour' around Scotland he seems to have changed his mind - he's since been Tweeting stuff about SNP welfare giveaways, commies and Greens. Of course that could be a ploy as well as he maybe knows he could do Salmond more harm by supporting him than not.

My head still says No will eke it out in the end. As an anecdotal observer it seems that Yes gain most momentum at weekends but fall off again during the week as the daily papers and media hit them with a relentless stream of scaremongering. Yes would need to be clearly ahead by about 5% to counter that come Thursday as there'll be all sorts of doomsday predictions between now and then. I don't think they're that far ahead yet even though they're clearly on the side of the angels.

Zip Code

I will say unfortunately NO will romp it, over 60%.

armaghniac

Quote from: Ulick on September 16, 2014, 09:51:05 AM
My head still says No will eke it out in the end. As an anecdotal observer it seems that Yes gain most momentum at weekends but fall off again during the week as the daily papers and media hit them with a relentless stream of scaremongering. Yes would need to be clearly ahead by about 5% to counter that come Thursday as there'll be all sorts of doomsday predictions between now and then. I don't think they're that far ahead yet even though they're clearly on the side of the angels.

In Quebec the "Oui" was 54% in the polls but couldn't make it in the end. In this case the polls are 50/50 at best.

As for "The Vow" that is worth less than the 55p it costs to buy the Daily Unionist Record,  the UK has no proper constitution and the government in London will do what it likes  Not that everything there isn't also some puff on the independence side, but the Scottish people can at least vote for what they want there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Zip Code

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/09/12/backtrack-on-yes-vote-as-buckfast-threatens-to-pull-distributation-in-scotland/

PRO-INDEPENDENCE voters were thrown into turmoil this morning after tonic wine makers, Buckfast, announced it would be pulling its Scottish distribution if there was a 'yes vote' majority in next week's referendum.
Buckfast or Buckie, a fortified wine licensed from Buckfast Abbey in British ruled Devon, is one of the most sought after drinks in the highland state, with over 20 billion bottles sold every week.
A spokesperson for the company said it would discontinue its current distribution of the popular beverage due to financial reasons and a 'conflict of interest' with the British Parliament.
"We cannot see a future for Buckfast in an Independent Scotland," said CEO Brent Traynor, who coincidentally met with David Cameron yesterday afternoon. "Scotland will not be able to afford our product if they vote yes, so we have no other option but to cease trading there".
Since the devastating news, thousands of angry protesters have taken to the streets in every major Scottish town and city to voice their concerns over the move.
"I cannae vote yes if ders ne bucky," voiced one man, who was wearing an unrecognisable Scottish football jersey. "You'd wanna be aff yer heid to vote after tha' news. Ah dinnae how ye Irish bouys would feel about losing Guinness, but this is a huge blow for us ere and the aye vote".
Meanwhile in Edinburgh, riot Police are currently dealing with hundreds of youths 'panic looting' local shops and warehouses for the tonic wine.
"This is the British government's doing," said first minister Alex Salmond. "David Cameron struck a deal with Buckfast knowing the implications it would cause. This is an act of war and we are going to respond accordingly".
Following the first minister's statement, Scottish band 'The Proclaimers' announced they would be cancelling their 2015 UK tour, with absolute no reaction whatsoever.

;D ;D ;D

deiseach

Free milk! Truly Thatcherism is dead. Vote NAE!

passedit

Quote from: armaghniac on September 16, 2014, 10:20:37 AM
Quote from: Ulick on September 16, 2014, 09:51:05 AM

In Quebec the "Oui" was 54% in the polls but couldn't make it in the end. In this case the polls are 50/50 at best.

As for "The Vow" that is worth less than the 55p it costs to buy the Daily Unionist Record,  the UK has no proper constitution and the government in London will do what it likes  Not that everything there isn't also some puff on the independence side, but the Scottish people can at least vote for what they want there.

My head says the Scots will bottle it as well but the sheer panic in the No camp suggests that they're further ahead than the polls suggest. Rumours that Salmond's own polls are consistently 60% yes and the high number of new voter registrations are not being mainsteam polled. (calling electoral register and landlines only). Projections of a very high turnout would also point to change rather than status quo. Hope they do it but reckon they'll just fall short. Then again many stranger things have happened.
Don't Panic

Rossfan

Be great if they do it.
Cmon Scots - time to join the rest of the civilised world.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM