Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Maguire01

Quote from: ziggysego on September 10, 2014, 11:47:11 AM
Quote from: orangeman on September 10, 2014, 09:58:14 AM
Is there a wee chance that the SNP leaders are privately shiting themselves at the prospect of them winning the vote, that they never really thought that they'd get this close and that being the opposition was nice and easy compared to actually governing ?.

If it is a Yes, it won't be until 2016 and there's be a fresh round of elections to elect new M(S)Ps. A sizeable amount of Yes voters said they aren't SNP voters and well, none of the No voters would be. Chances are, SNP won't be the largest party in the newly Independent Scotland and Alex probably expects this. Still, would there be any need for the SNP anymore?
The SNP has 65 MSPs,  Labour follows with 37. It would take some swing for the SNP to be overtaken as the largest party next time around.

BarryBreensBandage

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

T Fearon

On BBC radio ulster today Professor Tom Devine made a total arse out of Ruth Dudley Edwards,and in response to his aggressive attitude he explained that his tone softens according to the opposing intellect with whom he's debating ;D

BennyCake

More powers, me arse. Don't be fooled by fcukwit politicians. I'm always of the opinion that whatever a politician says, take the opposite meaning.

Unfortunately they'll do enough to make Scots fearful of independence and they'll vote no.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2014, 10:23:57 PM
On BBC radio ulster today Professor Tom Devine made a total arse out of Ruth Dudley Edwards,and in response to his aggressive attitude he explained that his tone softens according to the opposing intellect with whom he's debating ;D

Whatever happens, some good has been done.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

under the bar

Expect to see a red alert anytime re an Isis or Al Qaida plot to attack Edinburgh or Glasgow!   Of course it will be foiled in the nick of time due to Scotland Yard's union-enhanced intelligence-sharing with Strathclyde!!   

BennyCake

Quote from: under the bar on September 10, 2014, 11:08:16 PM
Expect to see a red alert anytime re an Isis or Al Qaida plot to attack Edinburgh or Glasgow!   Of course it will be foiled in the nick of time due to Scotland Yard's union-enhanced intelligence-sharing with Strathclyde!!   

I'll take that bet (or something similar).

AQMP

With the announcements from Standard Life, RBS and Lloyds in the last 24 hours, you wonder what price Cameron has paid/will pay for this "support", or maybe he's calling in a few favours.

As for additional powers to Scotland...what power has Gordon Broon to make this happen?  As I understand it there is no commitment to do this, all waffle and empty promises.

johnneycool

RBS, Standard Life all being lined up to say they'll move jobs out of Scotland to London, all the big shots are being fired now that its getting a bit too close for comfort for Cameron and Co.

naka

actually think when the voting is counted too many are scared of the change
to go for yes

its like in the 6 counties ( a lot of my mates are nationalists with a small n ) when the voting comes for unity we will all be surprised at how many will vote for the status quo to remain

theskull1

It just goes to show what happens when your getting too close to changing the status quo. As the saying goes ...feel the fear and do it anyway
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

magpie seanie

I don't get this "fear" thing. It's not as if things are good at present!

AZOffaly

The element of the 'Devil you know' is strong. One thing this referendum has proven to me is that the 'patriotic' bonds holding the UK together have never been weaker. The Scots have always had a bit of an oxymoronic outook on their relationship with England especially. Even Flower of Scotland has elements of it

"Those Days are Past now, and in the past they must remain,
But we will still rise now, and be a nation again that stood against them,
Proud Edward's Army, and sent them homewards tae think again".

If the No vote wins, it will probably be out of 'fear' of being a standalone country. It won't be because the bonds of Britishness as so strong.

armaghniac

If you propose change, it is easy for people to suggest all sorts of things will occur. In general, citizens understanding of the overall situation is limited, you only have to look at the trite sh|te spoken about in relation to Irish unity, and so they can't easily figure out the actual reality of the dire warnings, or indeed great promises.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnneycool

Oh, did anyone see the 'close to tears' David Cameron giving his heartfelt speech in Scotland yesterday.
The only way that man would have been in tears was if he was pulling his pubes out with the hand he'd jammed in his pocket...
Sure wouldn't the Tories be better off without Scotland, almost guaranteed house of Commons majority and no Scottish basket case to pump funds into it.