Author Topic: Getting TV3 or RTE on freeview in North?  (Read 5739 times)

Fionntamhnach

• "It's a shame..."
    • View Profile
Re: Getting TV3 or RTE on freeview in North?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2022, 07:28:30 PM »
For anyone receiving BBC TV services via satellite, there's going to be some changes coming...

* All BBC One & Two regional SD channels (inc. NI versions) will be removed and replaced with a single UK-wide channel from April next year. This will mean no local news/programming in SD. All other BBC SD TV channels & radio services will continue from that date.

*At some point in the first quarter of next year, BBC Two NI will be available on Sky & Freesat in HD on channel 102 or 142.

* From April 2024 the BBC are planning to shut down all its SD channels on satellite - from that point on you'll need a HD-capable satellite receiver to view them.

If you already have a Sky HD or Sky Q receiver, a Freesat HD receiver or a FTA HD satellite receiver and you already have BBC One NI HD on channel 101 or 141, then other than BBC 2 NI HD eventually appearing on channel 102/142 nothing much will affect you though there might be some changes in frequencies as services get shuffled around which may effect those with FTA HD receivers the most as well as those with Sky receivers watching BBC channels that aren't on their EPG via "Other Channels". The changes are scheduled to start in mid-January next year.

(The reason for all of this is that the BBC are wanting to launch their BBC One English regional channels in HD on satellite, but need to reallocate their current capacity by closing down in a phased pattern their SD BBC one & Two services in order to create space for them - a side effect from this is that all BBC TV services on satellite by this coming April will be available in HD, so in addition to BBC Two NI mentioned above also coming soon in HD is BBC Parliament, BBC Alba & BBC Red Button).

Just thought this would be worth a heads up - while I suspect most on here that receive BBC via satellite already view it in HD where possible, there might be some (particularly in the Republic) that might still be using either very old Sky Digital receivers that are SD only or are using a basic Free-to-air SD satellite receiver to watch the BBC channels. These will need to be changed out by April 2024 at the latest to continue viewing the Beeb via sat.

Website for this switchover is https://www.hdsatelliteupgrade.co.uk
"That's not a photocopier, that's a shredder! And what have you done to your arse?"

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
Re: Getting TV3 or RTE on freeview in North?
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2022, 11:43:22 PM »
I just switch on the TV with a wee table top aeriel and I have it , but I live in Derry so more or less Donegal