New Catholic Church/ DUP coalition! Is this they way forward?

Started by T Fearon, February 24, 2015, 05:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I am not advocating discrimination against anyone,but my religious beliefs mean that I preceive some practices to be sinful,and I am entitled to those beliefs and to have them taken into account if for example I go into business and am asked to provide a service which runs contrary to those beliefs.

T Fearon

Maguire there is increasing intolerance (which exceeds that shown to gay people) being shown to Christians in this Country today.Thats were the hypocrisy lies

imtommygunn

T Fearon

? I started the thread to point out the coming together of previous polar opposites

Tony Baloney

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 09:45:07 PM
I am not advocating discrimination against anyone,but my religious beliefs mean that I preceive some practices to be sinful,and I am entitled to those beliefs and to have them taken into account if for example I go into business and am asked to provide a service which runs contrary to those beliefs.
So would you do business with divorcees, adulterers, thieves, liars?

theticklemister

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 09:53:06 PM
? I started the thread to point out the coming together of previous polar opposites

The DUP may have been opposites of Catholic Church but i can't say it is vice versa

imtommygunn

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 09:53:06 PM

well it was that, attention seeking or using the subject matter or seeing this as a way to try to callout people as it was obvious you would see them as hypocrites?

T Fearon

I would do business with any person providing the goods or service requested is not in contradiction of my beliefs.Ashers I understand were perfectly happy to supply a cake but not to ice it with a design endorsing gay marriage

ONeill

How great would it be to live in a world without religion for a year?

In 200 years time they'll be laughing their balls off at us.

I'd say their balls will be massive. Maybe not. Were cavemen's balls bigger than ours?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 10:03:34 PM
I would do business with any person providing the goods or service requested is not in contradiction of my beliefs.Ashers I understand were perfectly happy to supply a cake but not to ice it with a design endorsing gay marriage
I think the Ashers case may be a bit of a red herring. I wouldn't be surprised if Ashers won this case on the basis of the very point you make. But it is being used as an excuse to introduce this legislation which would allow for wholesale discrimination.

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 09:47:15 PM
Maguire there is increasing intolerance (which exceeds that shown to gay people) being shown to Christians in this Country today.Thats were the hypocrisy lies
It's not intolerance of Christians practicing their religion, it's intolerance of attempts to discriminate or impose laws based on religious beliefs on wider society.

T Fearon

It boils down to personal belief.If a business person is asked to provide goods or services which directly and clearly contradict his or her beliefs then I see this as a case of conflicting rights.It is not discrimination (which in my opinion is simply treating someone or a group less favourably because they happen to belong to a body/group of which the person discriminating gratuitously opposes or doesn't like due to bog standard prejudice)

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 10:22:27 PM
It boils down to personal belief.If a business is asked to provide goods or services which contradict his or her beliefs then I see this as a case of conflicting rights.It is not discrimination (which in my opinion is simply treating someone or a group less favourably because they happen to belong to a body/group of which the person discriminating gratuitously opposes or doesn't like due to big standard prejudice)
So, you run a B&B and a gay couple ask to book a room... the same service as you're offering all customers, bed and board. Should you be able to use this 'conscience clause' to turn them away?

T Fearon

Most definitely.Why when you believe a practice to be sinful should you be compelled to facilitate it under your roof.

Eamonnca1

I would like to categorically state that William McCrea has never used rent boys when on business in London.

That is all.