Milltown Row2

Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2014, 12:35:46 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on June 25, 2014, 09:17:04 AM
Eli Wallach - aged 98 - aka 'Tuco'

Legend!

RIP.

He stole the show in that film, which made him a legend

RIP 'Tuco'
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

Blondie you one dirty son of a bitch!!!!
Adios Tuco!!

give her dixie

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

T Fearon

John O'Neill, goalkeeper on Fermanagh's All Ireland Junior winning side and the 1959 Queen's Sigerson winning team, and for many years an eminent surgeon at Craigavon Hospital

AQMP

Footballer Alfredo Di Stefano aged 88

and Georgian/Soviet politician Eduard Shevarnadze aged 86

AZOffaly

ah poor auld Di Stefano. I heard today he was stable. Reminds me of the sketch in that old slapstick movie Top Secret.

RIP

AQMP

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 07, 2014, 04:40:01 PM
ah poor auld Di Stefano. I heard today he was stable. Reminds me of the sketch in that old slapstick movie Top Secret.

RIP

One of those great players who never played in the World Cup.  A native of Argentina he only played for them 6 times all in the Copa America of 1947, which Argentina won.  In the days before the hype Argentina actually didn't bother entering the World Cups of 1950 and 1954.  By 1958 Di Stefano, after a few games for Colombia, was playing for Spain but they failed to qualify.  He helped Spain qualify for 1962 and was in the squad but injury prevented him from playing any games.

Also scored in 5 European Cup Finals.

mouview

Indisputably one of the very greatest and most influential of all time. Perhaps the first great all-rounder and playmaker, architect of Real's first 5 European Cups, thus largely responsible for making them into the behemoth they are today. And to think Barce' came courting first, at a time he was painting a house back in Buenos Aires.

moysider

Quote from: mouview on July 07, 2014, 10:35:02 PM
Indisputably one of the very greatest and most influential of all time. Perhaps the first great all-rounder and playmaker, architect of Real's first 5 European Cups, thus largely responsible for making them into the behemoth they are today. And to think Barce' came courting first, at a time he was painting a house back in Buenos Aires.

Brian Glanville in the Sunday Times said that DeStefano was 'arguably' the second best footballer of all time. Then he pointedly made sure to nominate Pele to be the best ::)

Of course Pele was never a threat to the English and Gordon Banks became a legend saving that header in Mexico. Brazilians dont even rate Pele as the best Brazilian of all time. Unfortunately he became an 'Uncle Tom' figure for FIFA and the British media.

Not like the 'Argies' and their Rattins, Malvinas and hand s of god and Simione gettin 'golden balls' the line. And I m sure you re all familiar with Sir Alf. stopping his players swapping jersies with the Argies in '66.

But here s the thing. Glanville 'arguably' makes a case for the 3 best footballers of all time being Argentinian if he includes Stefano in the top 2! It will be no accident that DeStefano will be presented as a Real Madrid legend and his birthplace will be a footnote at best. That s easier to take. But he was born and raised in Buenos Aires, same as Maradonna.  That s where he learned to play football. Messi was born about 200 miles away. They re all Argies ;D

Sidney

Di Stefano is the only player ever to play international football for three different countries, as far as I know.

ziggy90

RIP Alfredo Di Stefano.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Sidney on July 08, 2014, 05:24:40 AM
Di Stefano is the only player ever to play international football for three different countries, as far as I know.

I think a few players have when countries have changed
A few played for CIS (Soviet Union), Ukraine/Uzbekistan/Tajikistan and Russia in the 90s

I think there were some with the split of Moravia / Checkslovakia too but not sure
Hasta la victoria siempre

ziggy90

Quote from: moysiderleft]link=topic=2372.msg1373232#msg1373232 date=1404777681]

Brian Glanville in the Sunday Times said that DeStefano was 'arguably' the second best footballer of all time. Then he pointedly made sure to nominate Pele to be the best ::)

Of course Pele was never a threat to the English and Gordon Banks became a legend saving that header in Mexico.[/left] Brazilians dont even rate Pele as the best Brazilian of all time. Unfortunately he became an 'Uncle Tom' figure for FIFA and the British media.

Not like the 'Argies' and their Rattins, Malvinas and hand s of god and Simione gettin 'golden balls' the line. And I m sure you re all familiar with Sir Alf. stopping his players swapping jersies with the Argies in '66.

But here s the thing. Glanville 'arguably' makes a case for the 3 best footballers of all time being Argentinian if he includes Stefano in the top 2! It will be no accident that DeStefano will be presented as a Real Madrid legend and his birthplace will be a footnote at best. That s easier to take. But he was born and raised in Buenos Aires, same as Maradonna.  That s where he learned to play football. Messi was born about 200 miles away. They re all Argies ;D
Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2014, 01:01:21 AM

Of course Pele was never a threat to the English and Gordon Banks became a legend saving that header in Mexico. Brazilians dont even rate Pele as the best Brazilian of all time. Unfortunately he became an 'Uncle Tom' figure for FIFA and the British media.

Who do Brazilians rate as the best Brazilian?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

moysider

Quote from: ziggy90 on July 08, 2014, 06:46:36 AM
Quote from: moysiderleft]link=topic=2372.msg1373232#msg1373232 date=1404777681]

Of course Pele was never a threat to the English and Gordon Banks became a legend saving that header in Mexico.[/left] Brazilians dont even rate Pele as the best Brazilian of all time. Unfortunately he became an 'Uncle Tom' figure for FIFA and the British media.

Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2014, 01:01:21 AM

Who do Brazilians rate as the best Brazilian?

Garrincha, without a doubt.

ONeill

That is incorrect. Pele, from what I can gather, is seen as their best ever all-round player. Garrincha was their best dribbler perhaps.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.