Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on March 29, 2022, 05:00:57 PM
There's no doubt those two were very quiet in the final, can't argue with that. There have been plenty of days when they haven't been though. Those two in particular did most of the damage against Portglenone in the elongated semi final. Their mountain had been climbed I think.
Loughran in particular a great player hopefully he pushes on and comes back in in 2023.

Spike

Quote from: JimStynes on March 29, 2022, 01:08:09 PM
I don't think Antrim have the players or panel to make these huge strides people are hoping for.

Just hit the nail on the head.

We're made good progress lads but need to build a foundation so that we can compete comfortably in Div 3 never mid Div 2. We need to stop the up and down from Div 3 to Div 4 and back again scenarios.  Get a good solid footing an d kick on again.

Think your optimism BS has got the better of you comparing us to Louth who are on a totally different trajectory to us.  We may have caught them cold last year but it is as obvious as the nose on your face they are operating at a higher level than us currently with more marquee forwards and obstinate defenders.  Physically we have catching up to do but we have made strides in that dept as well.

One of the problems we have in Antrim is looking for a quick fix or the easy route.  There is none. We have went too far down that road for a quick solution to work.        We tried a different approach with the management team and it has brought progress.  Time to address our longstanding underage issues, correct them and continue to advance in the long term, building a foundation for success and players equipped to deal with the higher divisions.    The crash and burn from our last exploits in Div 2 has taken a decade to recover from. New players will be blooded again next season and hungry for promotion but they need to believe in the project. 

Flanker

There's no doubt those two were very quiet in the final, can't argue with that. There have been plenty of days when they haven't been though. Those two in particular did most of the damage against Portglenone in the elongated semi final. Their mountain had been climbed I think.

BS to steal some words from a famous Tyrone manager The next time Antrim are playing PG1......

The guys have undoubted potential
Adam didn't get much of a look in last year and didn't start for a UCD sigerson team beaten by Letterkenny
An undoubted underage talent but yet to make the mark at the higher level. Could be injuries & studies that have stalled the progress. Time is on his side to kick on.

On Ruairi you may have hit the nail on the head.... When in the mood.... Unfortunately at the higher level when in the mood doesn't really do it. You need the 6/10 on a bad day.

Again has time to rectify and bring the consistency required at that level

EOC1923

Quote from: Flanker on March 29, 2022, 06:04:41 PM

BS to steal some words from a famous Tyrone manager The next time Antrim are playing PG1......

Adam didn't get much of a look in last year and didn't start for a UCD sigerson team beaten by Letterkenny
An undoubted underage talent but yet to make the mark at the higher level. Could be injuries & studies that have stalled the progress. Time is on his side to kick on.

On Ruairi you may have hit the nail on the head.... When in the mood.... Unfortunately at the higher level when in the mood doesn't really do it. You need the 6/10 on a bad day.

That was great quote, Art McCrory I think it was

Flanker

Quote from: EOC1923 on March 29, 2022, 06:09:50 PM
Quote from: Flanker on March 29, 2022, 06:04:41 PM

That was great quote, Art McCrory I think it was
It was  A confident lough shore forward supposedly on the receiving end

Milltown Row2

What would Louth be like in Leinster at underage and schools cup level?

Would Westmeath have a decent under age set up county and schools? I know they won I think a minor championship before, can't remember how long that was. In Football are Limerick doing well at under age for county or schools?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Next time Tyrone are playing the Rock lol.

Flanker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2022, 06:22:55 PM
What would Louth be like in Leinster at underage and schools cup level?

Would Westmeath have a decent under age set up county and schools? I know they won I think a minor championship before, can't remember how long that was. In Football are Limerick doing well at under age for county or schools?

Westmeath schools in 5 A finals between 2014 & 2020 + probably pupils going to. St Pats Navan

Louth 2 wins in A in last 20 years + probably pupils going to St Pats Navan & Gormanstown

Might be something in this Schools football after all

Munster dominated by Kerry so Limerick schools don't feature.

Strong sporting county Maybe JP throwing a few coppers behind it trying to follow the hurling model

bannside

Spike I must be missing something here. You say Louth are on a completely different projectory as if that's perfectly normal, like they are some superpower. We beat them three times in a row between 2019 and 2021, the latest being just over a year ago.

I'm hearing now oh theyve better players, and they've more experienced management and all that drivel. Well they hadn't up until very recently (eg 10 days ago) so for me that's a perfectly normal and acceptable benchmark to measure our own progress by.

If they're making much larger strides than us we should be asking why, not accepting that as some kind of norm.

Saffsof82

Quote from: bannside on March 29, 2022, 11:34:51 PM
Spike I must be missing something here. You say Louth are on a completely different projectory as if that's perfectly normal, like they are some superpower. We beat them three times in a row between 2019 and 2021, the latest being just over a year ago.

I'm hearing now oh theyve better players, and they've more experienced management and all that drivel. Well they hadn't up until very recently (eg 10 days ago) so for me that's a perfectly normal and acceptable benchmark to measure our own progress by.

If they're making much larger strides than us we should be asking why, not accepting that as some kind of norm.

Think it was the Irish Examiner that had an article a couple of weeks back about how poor juvenile football was in Louth after their minors were beat by 25 points in Leinster championship. I think they are very like us, produce some good juvenile teams every now and again and senior team medicore. Dont see them as any model to try to replicate.

imtommygunn

McGinley is doing great but Harte has three all irelands at senior, multiple at under 21, a minor, a provincial club and the list goes on. He has a lot of experience and McGinley is very new to the game. Also what would we give for a scoring forward like they have - tbh if we had a boy of that level we'd be a lot better too.

It would be nice to have done back to back like they did yes but not doing that doesn't make us a failure.

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on March 29, 2022, 11:34:51 PM

Perhaps if you consider the make up of the current Antrim team it does reveal that just two clubs make up about 60% of those who participated on Sunday.
And acknowledge the fact that despite being without '(county personnel) for the 2021 season Cargin who proceeded throughout without did win that competition.
Also consider that several players called refused to answer Mc Ginley's call (As you would say in the case of Pg1) to concentrate on our own affairs or something similar.

Is our county equipped with enough players to cross swords with the best?

The acid test is ahead when we reach championship.

Now although the 'seeded draw' did ensure PG1 and St Mary's look more than likely on course for a county final in a far from difficult route are either on course to meet up with the silverware?
I am sure those who will anticipate such a few pounds invested on such will receive  a handsome return.

I do consider the merits of those lads you are promoting to Saffron and am afraid some would struggle.

Caesar

Quote from: Spike on March 29, 2022, 05:28:03 PM
I don't think Antrim have the players or panel to make these huge strides people are hoping for.

One of the problems we have in Antrim is looking for a quick fix or the easy route.  There is none. We have went too far down that road for a quick solution to work.        We tried a different approach with the management team and it has brought progress.  Time to address our longstanding underage issues, correct them and continue to advance in the long term, building a foundation for success and players equipped to deal with the higher divisions.    The crash and burn from our last exploits in Div 2 has taken a decade to recover from. New players will be blooded again next season and hungry for promotion but they need to believe in the project.

This is the nail on the head. Our underage development structures are still miles away from where they need to be. Until we get that side of things right we are simply papering over the cracks.

So I will ask again, does anyone now what our Director Of Football has been up to? 6 months into the job and not a peep

general_lee

If Down can get to Division 2 then so can Antrim.

NatSoSaff

Quote from: Caesar on March 30, 2022, 09:35:12 AM
Quote from: Spike on March 29, 2022, 05:28:03 PM

This is the nail on the head. Our underage development structures are still miles away from where they need to be. Until we get that side of things right we are simply papering over the cracks.

So I will ask again, does anyone now what our Director Of Football has been up to? 6 months into the job and not a peep

I read somewhere, maybe The Gaelic Life, a snippet from him praising the work of the senior football management. I think it was only a sentence or two, but absolutely nothing about the targets for development within the county or any strategy to improve football. It's as strange as things get!