Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

I see it different to you tbh. Huge strides is far too liberal....that's something Derry have done, from division four to within touching distance of division one. Or Clare, div 4 to seven completed years now in ultra competitive div 2. You talk of a team making huge strides then it's Louth, not us.

We are making "solid" progress, but we were made to look very ordinary during periods of our last two games. We conceded 9 points on the trot to Westmeath, and had no answer to their direct play when the chips were down. Too many missed tackles, and their men had space everywhere.

We are going "okay"...there's a lot of work still to be done. A victory against Cavan would change the narrative from solid to good in fairness.

Saffrongael

The Laois result also looks poor in hindsight, they would have been considered a threat for promotion at the time but end up relegated.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

JimStynes

I don't think Antrim have the players or panel to make these huge strides people are hoping for.

barnish oggie

Quote from: JimStynes on March 29, 2022, 01:08:09 PM
I don't think Antrim have the players or panel to make these huge strides people are hoping for.

Unfortunately i have to agree with you.

We are getting there but are still 2 or 3 top quality players away from being able to compete at the top level, especially up front.

We don't have close to the likes of a McCurry, Rian O'Neill, McBrearty etc, that one star forward who is a match winner consistently and unfortunately I think that will always be our downfall.

Caesar

IMO the best forward we have in Antrim is Matty Fitz who isn't even part of the panel

barnish oggie

Quote from: Caesar on March 29, 2022, 02:34:57 PM
IMO the best forward we have in Antrim is Matty Fitz who isn't even part of the panel

And hopefully get Adam Loughran back on the panel too when his studies are finished.

bannside

Fitzy a class act - we might have borrowed him from that other code from May to July in the old calendar and got some value from a great talent. But not going to happen, his soccer committments don't end until 29th April.

I wouldn't close the door on Eamon Fyfe or Dominic Mc Enhill. Two good talents still young enough.

Adam a certain starter for me, and then add the creativity of Jamie G pulling strings, surrounded by busy Liam Quinn and recognised scoring forward Conor Small. Michael Hagan shaping up really well for us too. These guys all early twenties.

No we are not blessed with marquee forwards but we should be doing better with what we have if a few injuries can clear up for next year.

barnish oggie

Quote from: bannside on March 29, 2022, 02:49:56 PM
Fitzy a class act - we might have borrowed him from that other code from May to July in the old calendar and got some value from a great talent. But not going to happen, his soccer committments don't end until 29th April.

I wouldn't close the door on Eamon Fyfe or Dominic Mc Enhill. Two good talents still young enough.

Adam a certain starter for me, and then add the creativity of Jamie G pulling strings, surrounded by busy Liam Quinn and recognised scoring forward Conor Small. Michael Hagan shaping up really well for us too. These guys all early twenties.

No we are not blessed with marquee forwards but we should be doing better with what we have if a few injuries can clear up for next year.

Good point BS on those injured players, I had never considered them hopefully coming back into the fold as well.

Maybe another year in Div 3 and being able to bring some of those lads in won't be a bad thing to develop them as a team and then maybe the likes of Fitzy will see what is coming together and make a return as well.

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on March 29, 2022, 02:49:56 PM

Have you seen Liam Quinn starring BS, even at club level or what brings you to the above conclusion?

imtommygunn

Quinn and Small have spent significant periods of time out injured.

bannside

Yes EOC, I've seen Liam quite a few times and have always been impressed as I know have club and county underage coaches who have worked with him. Isn't he a McRory cup medal winner too, in fact one of the stars of the convent team. Definitely prone to injuries but still young enough to feature if the right breaks go his way. IMO.

EOC1923

He is definitely a good prospect, but I think would need to show a bit more a club senior level before we rely on him for the county senior team. Horrible injuries he has had. Maybe this will be his year

bannside

A year can make a big difference and there's going to be a few pop up from below the radar during club championships.

I thought Aghagallons Ruairi Mc Cann got a bit of a raw deal, he would be higher up my ratings than a few who were retained by county management. Is he another Mc Rory Cup winner for St Ronan's... honesty not sure, but he is dangerous when in the mood!

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on March 29, 2022, 04:39:44 PM
A year can make a big difference and there's going to be a few pop up from below the radar during club championships.

I thought Aghagallons Ruairi Mc Cann got a bit of a raw deal, he would be higher up my ratings than a few who were retained by county management. Is he another Mc Rory Cup winner for St Ronan's... honesty not sure, but he is dangerous when in the mood!
You're a good man for taking in games BS, did you watch the county final last year? Would you of gave Adam Loughran or Ruairi McCann any more than 3 or 4 out of 10? They're undoubted good players but are they ready to lead the line in intercounty senior football?

bannside

There's no doubt those two were very quiet in the final, can't argue with that. There have been plenty of days when they haven't been though. Those two in particular did most of the damage against Portglenone in the elongated semi final. Their mountain had been climbed I think.