2020/21 All Ireland Football Championship

Started by Angelo, June 06, 2020, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 24, 2020, 08:22:57 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on June 24, 2020, 07:42:55 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on June 24, 2020, 04:06:10 PM
why would you not be excited with limerick v wicklow a chance for both of them to advanced to the last 16 maybe potentially get a draw against another lower ranked team the way some fans go on you think they just want to see the same teams play each other over and over.

An open draw on a knock out basis could generate alot of novel draws like you suggest and could generate alot of interest. One thing the GAA isn't good at though is change so expect the same tired and out of date formula for the draw or championship

I doubt any other team sport in the world changes its formats, playing rules as much as GAA football has over that last two decades.

The hurling has changed in fairness, but what are the odds the football championship will still be based on a provincial basis in 20 years time? It's an outdated, unfair system and the only real positive to the provincial series at this stage is gate receipts it brings in for the provincial councils and even that has dropped in recent years

Captain Obvious

Quote from: dublin7 on June 25, 2020, 12:43:07 PM
why would you not be excited with limerick v wicklow a chance for both of them to advanced to the last 16 maybe potentially get a draw against another lower ranked team the way some fans go on you think they just want to see the same teams play each other over and over.

An open draw on a knock out basis could generate alot of novel draws like you suggest and could generate alot of interest. One thing the GAA isn't good at though is change so expect the same tired and out of date formula for the draw or championship

I doubt any other team sport in the world changes its formats, playing rules as much as GAA football has over that last two decades.

The hurling has changed in fairness, but what are the odds the football championship will still be based on a provincial basis in 20 years time? It's an outdated, unfair system and the only real positive to the provincial series at this stage is gate receipts it brings in for the provincial councils and even that has dropped in recent years

Short odds considering those at the top are pushing for it in the media the same way they did for the daftness of a group stage for the final 8 and the return of the Tommy Murphy cup.

Only natural gate receipts drop when one team is dominating its provincial championship, the cream rises to the top regardless of the format.

It's not all about who win a provincial title either. For example there was huge interest in Cavan and Fermanagh when they reached recent Ulster finals would they have the same interest for a knock out championship without the provincial championships included?

Orior

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 25, 2020, 03:45:40 PM

Short odds considering those at the top are pushing for it in the media the same way they did for the daftness of a group stage for the final 8 and the return of the Tommy Murphy cup.

Only natural gate receipts drop when one team is dominating its provincial championship, the cream rises to the top regardless of the format.

It's not all about who win a provincial title either. For example there was huge interest in Cavan and Fermanagh when they reached recent Ulster finals would they have the same interest for a knock out championship without the provincial championships included?

Yes.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Orior on June 25, 2020, 04:12:03 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 25, 2020, 03:45:40 PM

Yes.

I'd doubt say a round 16 knock out game would provide the same buzz in the towns throughout Cavan, Fermanagh as they did in the weeks build up towards the Ulster final did.

Derry Optimist

I see where, "according to informed RTE" sources, that there is going to be allowances made for a back door system in this years's All Ireland Senior Hurling championship.However the same sources indicate that there is no back door, just a straight knock out system, in this year's All Ireland Senior Football championship.

To me this is blatant discrimination  in favour of the hurling counties in  getting  preferential treatment. I thought the GAA prided itself in looking after both codes in a fair and straight forward manner. For example as Tyrone and Donegal are scheduled to meet in the first round of  the Ulster football championship, and if the RTE predictions are correct, that means that the loser of the Tyrone/Donegal game is eliminated from this year's competition.

On the contrary if the same fate were to happen in the Munster hurling championship the first round losers are allowed in again.Surely this is a patently  unfair scenario if it were allowed to happen. All our codes in all our provinces should receive equal treatment.It should be a back door for both or a back door for neither.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Derry Optimist on June 25, 2020, 06:43:53 PM
I see where, "according to informed RTE" sources, that there is going to be allowances made for a back door system in this years's All Ireland Senior Hurling championship.However the same sources indicate that there is no back door, just a straight knock out system, in this year's All Ireland Senior Football championship.

To me this is blatant discrimination  in favour of the hurling counties in  getting  preferential treatment. I thought the GAA prided itself in looking after both codes in a fair and straight forward manner. For example as Tyrone and Donegal are scheduled to meet in the first round of  the Ulster football championship, and if the RTE predictions are correct, that means that the loser of the Tyrone/Donegal game is eliminated from this year's competition.

On the contrary if the same fate were to happen in the Munster hurling championship the first round losers are allowed in again.Surely this is a patently  unfair scenario if it were allowed to happen. All our codes in all our provinces should receive equal treatment.It should be a back door for both or a back door for neither.

There are less teams competing in the Liam McCarthy cup, there are Over 32 Counties in the Sam Maguire for some reason.

The hurling is a smaller competition in fairness, easier to run off
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on June 25, 2020, 08:27:53 PM
Quote from: Derry Optimist on June 25, 2020, 06:43:53 PM

;D

Is this Derry man saying hurling is treated equally in Derry and Ulster?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

The reported proposed football Championship just suits Kerry and Dublin who will stroll to the All Ireland Semi Finals.
Up to the other 30 to spake up and stop it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

With Qualifiers good teams from Connacht and Ulster can still reach the closing stages.
This year only 1 of Ros/Galway/Rhubarbs will get through as will only 1 of Donegal/Tyrone/Monaghan.
The Connacht and Ulster Champions will be wrecked playing hard games while the other 2 will be nicely loosened up and fresh.
We're talking 7 rounds played over 8 weeks here so being nice and fresh for the last 2 is an enormous advantage.
Mind you Covid could scupper the whole shebang......

thewobbler

Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2020, 11:57:48 PM
With Qualifiers good teams from Connacht and Ulster can still reach the closing stages.
This year only 1 of Ros/Galway/Rhubarbs will get through as will only 1 of Donegal/Tyrone/Monaghan.
The Connacht and Ulster Champions will be wrecked playing hard games while the other 2 will be nicely loosened up and fresh.
We're talking 7 rounds played over 8 weeks here so being nice and fresh for the last 2 is an enormous advantage.
Mind you Covid could scupper the whole shebang......

"Wrecked"?

Watch while certain managers complain about how the imbalances give Ulster teams a chance to get battle hardened ahead of the semis. See people like complain.

——-

If it's less than a game a week, it's not a punishing schedule.

There's no great teams, 3 good teams, 5 mediocre teams and 1 poor team in Ulster.

Rossfan

Dublin could do a lot of things but they WILL be in the AI semis.
No team in Connacht or Ulster can say that.
Anyway all will be revealed today and 25 Counties can plan for the completion of their NFL campaign and begin preparations for the 21 League.

Rossfan

And the tear after we bet Mayowestros and Galway.
People are entitled to state their opinions no matter how good  or bad their County team is.
After all we need to hear from Antrim lads occasionally.

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on June 26, 2020, 09:53:40 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2020, 09:45:57 AM
Anyway all will be revealed today and 25 Counties can plan for the completion of their NFL campaign and begin preparations for the 21 League.
That's only because Dublin are better than everyone else. I've no doubt that teams can have easier routes through the championship but if my county was making the Super 8s by beating Leitrim and Armagh, I'd be keeping my head down on that one.

I think that if your county was to make the super 8s, even by beating Leitrim and Armagh, you'd be very surprised!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on June 26, 2020, 11:11:54 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 26, 2020, 11:05:21 AM
Quote from: hardstation on June 26, 2020, 09:53:40 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2020, 09:45:57 AM
That's only because Dublin are better than everyone else. I've no doubt that teams can have easier routes through the championship but if my county was making the Super 8s by beating Leitrim and Armagh, I'd be keeping my head down on that one.

I think that if your county was to make the super 8s, even by beating Leitrim and Armagh, you'd be very surprised!
The opportunity would be nice though.

Tiocfaidh do lá!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: hardstation on June 26, 2020, 11:11:20 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2020, 10:57:02 AM
And the tear after we bet Mayowestros and Galway.
People are entitled to state their opinions no matter how good  or bad their County team is.
After all we need to hear from Antrim lads occasionally.
And? It doesn't take away from the fact there are times where it is stacked in your favour and that due to you being from a small province you are afforded opportunities of progression in the championship that most other counties aren't. That is fine as far as I'm concerned. They're just the breaks. However, it becomes a bit of a joke when you start pointing the accusing finger at others. Indeed, at a county from the largest province who currently happen to be much better than the 10 other teams in their province and in fact the rest of Ireland.

How or why they are much better is a different conversation.

As is the fact that a County with a Nationalist population of around 250k consistently has the weakest football team of the 6 Cos.
Maybe you should concentrate on that instead of trying to put my opinion down.