?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

toby47

Quote from: Derry Optimist on October 07, 2020, 07:38:47 PM
I believe that there are 28 players in the Derry Senior football panel.Four players who started against Tyrone in last year's Ulster championship game have been omitted for this year's panel ie Niall Keenan,Ryan Bell,Liam McGoldrick and Conor McAtamney (Incidentally Paul McNeill was also a starter in that side but was missing for the league owing to an injury).It would appear that Rory Gallagher is placing a lot of emphasis on the younger talent within the county.Hence the inclusion of Paul Cassidy and Ethan Doherty.

The most surprising omission from that missing quartet is Niall Keenan who has been one of Derry's most consistent players for the last four years.Likewise the inclusion of the inexperienced Connlan Bradley as goalkeeping cover for Odhran Lynch is also a surprise.

Perhaps some poster could give us the names of the full panel as I feel there must be other omissions from last year's panel which was certainly much larger

I think Niall Kennan is away to England to study, also obvious reasons for McGoldrick to be omitted.
Paul Cassidy had a very poor season for Bellaghy IMO, I was really looking forward to seeing him this year however he doesn't seem to have taken to Senior football as well as I thought he would, albeit he's had his injury problems. I'd imagine he will be one for the future with little game time this season.
Paul McNeill is a very welcome addition, quality defender.
Connlan Bradley in nets is a strange one. This time last year he had never done nets in his life before. He has ended up doing OK but there are a lot of keepers ahead of him in the county.

lenny

Quote from: shawshank on October 06, 2020, 10:23:25 AM
'winning is everything' is the usual defence, and in general I won't disagree. However, when you have footballers on a team like Magherafelt I am inclined to say there has to be a better way for them. Look at their two wing backs, Heavron an attacking mf, at least two scoring forwards that you can depend on. they need to evolve their attacking play or they will under achieve. For a player like Murphy to be on the bench sums it up for me.

Cormac has an injury, otherwise he'd be starting. When I said slaughtneil were defensive and horrible to watch I was comparing them to how they used to play a few years ago. In the 2 games they were tested they only scored 11 points v us and 12 or 13 v glen. Rossa have a gameplan which is effective although not that exciting to watch. I think now that we're consistently winning championship matches that the plan will evolve and we'll start to attack a lot more.

restorepride

Quote from: lenny on October 08, 2020, 08:25:43 PM
'winning is everything' is the usual defence, and in general I won't disagree. However, when you have footballers on a team like Magherafelt I am inclined to say there has to be a better way for them. Look at their two wing backs, Heavron an attacking mf, at least two scoring forwards that you can depend on. they need to evolve their attacking play or they will under achieve. For a player like Murphy to be on the bench sums it up for me.

Cormac has an injury, otherwise he'd be starting. When I said slaughtneil were defensive and horrible to watch I was comparing them to how they used to play a few years ago. In the 2 games they were tested they only scored 11 points v us and 12 or 13 v glen. Rossa have a gameplan which is effective although not that exciting to watch. I think now that we're consistently winning championship matches that the plan will evolve and we'll start to attack a lot more.
I doubt that.  This year was the chance to evolve and throw the shackles off, having won the championship.  Management clearly not interested.  Sleacht Néill scored 11 times in the final, Machaire Fíolta scored 5 times - that is the true comparison.  As the Bomber Liston once famously said - try playing chess.   

theticklemister

Quote from: toby47 on October 08, 2020, 08:12:22 AM
I believe that there are 28 players in the Derry Senior football panel.Four players who started against Tyrone in last year's Ulster championship game have been omitted for this year's panel ie Niall Keenan,Ryan Bell,Liam McGoldrick and Conor McAtamney (Incidentally Paul McNeill was also a starter in that side but was missing for the league owing to an injury).It would appear that Rory Gallagher is placing a lot of emphasis on the younger talent within the county.Hence the inclusion of Paul Cassidy and Ethan Doherty.

The most surprising omission from that missing quartet is Niall Keenan who has been one of Derry's most consistent players for the last four years.Likewise the inclusion of the inexperienced Connlan Bradley as goalkeeping cover for Odhran Lynch is also a surprise.

Perhaps some poster could give us the names of the full panel as I feel there must be other omissions from last year's panel which was certainly much larger

I think Niall Kennan is away to England to study, also obvious reasons for McGoldrick to be omitted.
Paul Cassidy had a very poor season for Bellaghy IMO, I was really looking forward to seeing him this year however he doesn't seem to have taken to Senior football as well as I thought he would, albeit he's had his injury problems. I'd imagine he will be one for the future with little game time this season.
Connlan Bradley in nets is a strange one. This time last year he had never done nets in his life before. He has ended up doing OK but there are a lot of keepers ahead of him in the county.

Where in England is he

toby47

Quote from: theticklemister on October 09, 2020, 07:29:24 AM
Quote from: toby47 on October 08, 2020, 08:12:22 AM

Where in England is he

Not 100% sure, but I remember reading a while back (maybe in the Derry post) that he was going to do a 2 year course in England to become a chiropractor.

Link

Quote from: lenny on October 08, 2020, 08:25:43 PM

Quit trying to justify that absolute travesty of a performance at the weekend. Rossa didn't try to play football, slaughtneil adapted and won easy.

Slaughtneil had 4 defenders who scored, Rossa had defenders who wouldn't shoot/kick or even take a mark when 35 yards from goal.

Estimator

I have Slaughtneil, Loup, Glen and Ballinascreen all scoring more in the C'ship than the Rossa. Ballinderry are level with M'felt in the scoring charts.  However only Slaughtneil played the same amount of games as M'felt, the rest had fewer games:

Loup & Ballinderry (1)
Ballinascreen & Glen (2)

Newbridge had 3 fewer than M'felt and are only 10pts away from their overall total.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Derry Optimist

Next week,provided GAA intercounty matches  resume again,Derry will meet their bogey team of recent years, Longford, in the National Football League.Based on their  form in the club championships I would select the following 15.

Odhran Lynch
Carlus McWilliams                    Brendan Rogers            Paul McNeill
Conor McCluskey                      Chris McKaigue            Padraig McGrogan
                       Ciaran McFaul            Padraig Cassidy
Jack Doherty                            Emmett Bradley             Niall Loughlin
Enda Lynn                                Shane McGuigan          Christopher Bradley

Subs: Connlan Bradley,Shea Downey,Declan Cassidy,Conor Doherty,Michael McEvoy,Patrick Kearney,Benny Heron,Danny Tallon,Niall Toner,Ben McCarron,Alex Doherty.

P.S.Presumably all of the above were selected on the revamped panel! Unfortunately there appears to be a shortage of defenders and midfielders on the panel itself

lenny

Quote from: Estimator on October 10, 2020, 06:41:54 PM
I have Slaughtneil, Loup, Glen and Ballinascreen all scoring more in the C'ship than the Rossa. Ballinderry are level with M'felt in the scoring charts.  However only Slaughtneil played the same amount of games as M'felt, the rest had fewer games:

Loup & Ballinderry (1)
Ballinascreen & Glen (2)

Newbridge had 3 fewer than M'felt and are only 10pts away from their overall total.

Which team had the best defensive record?

Estimator

Quote from: lenny on October 10, 2020, 07:36:05 PM

Loup & Ballinderry (1)
Ballinascreen & Glen (2)

Looking at my totals: Slaughtneil

Slaughtneil
Scoring Average: 20pts (1st)
Conceding Average: 9pts (1st)

Magherafelt
Scoring Average: 12pts (Joint 13th)
Conceding Average: 10pts (2nd)

Loup
Scoring Average: 16pts (joint 5th)
Conceding Average: 14pts (Joint 5th)

Ballinderry
Scoring Average: 14pts (joint 7th)
Conceding Average:  16pts (11th)

Glen
Scoring Average: 19pts (2nd)
Conceding Average: 11pts (3rd)

Swatragh
Conceding Average: 12pts (4th)

Coleraine
Scoring Average: 13pts (joint 11th)
Conceding Average: 15pts (10th)

Ballinascreen
Scoring Average: 17pts (4th)

Newbridge
Scoring Average: 18pts (3rd)

Bellaghy

Lavey
Conceding Average: 17pts (joint 12th)

Dungiven

Claudy
Conceding Average: 15pts (9th)

Kilrea
Scoring Average: 11pts (joint 14th)
Conceding Average: 21pts (15th)

Foreglen
Scoring Average: 12pts (joint 13th)
Conceding Average: 25pts (16th)

Banagher
Conceding Average: 19pts (14th)
Ulster League Champions 2009

restorepride

Quote from: Derry Optimist on October 10, 2020, 06:48:56 PM
Next week,provided GAA intercounty matches  resume again,Derry will meet their bogey team of recent years, Longford, in the National Football League.Based on their  form in the club championships I would select the following 15.

Odhran Lynch
Jack Doherty                            Emmett Bradley             Niall Loughlin
Enda Lynn                                Shane McGuigan          Christopher Bradley

Subs: Connlan Bradley,Shea Downey,Declan Cassidy,Conor Doherty,Michael McEvoy,Patrick Kearney,Benny Heron,Danny Tallon,Niall Toner,Ben McCarron,Alex Doherty.

P.S.Presumably all of the above were selected on the revamped panel! Unfortunately there appears to be a shortage of defenders and midfielders on the panel itself
No room for Conor Glass, I note?!!! Ar ais in Éirinn Dé Sathairn!

oakleaflad

Quote from: restorepride on October 11, 2020, 11:06:04 PM

Odhran Lynch

Glass has to isolate when he arrives back and won't be available for Longford game. Not sure if you throw him straight in anyway? I wouldn't have too much expectations for this year, let him get back and used to the round ball again.

restorepride

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 12, 2020, 09:40:42 AM
Quote from: restorepride on October 11, 2020, 11:06:04 PM

Odhran Lynch

Glass has to isolate when he arrives back and won't be available for Longford game. Not sure if you throw him straight in anyway? I wouldn't have too much expectations for this year, let him get back and used to the round ball again.
Agree totally.  Although, if game is even played, 15 minutes against Ard Mhacha could help ease him back in!!!   This year or next, still a great addition and big lift for Doire.

Glenman93

Quote from: Estimator on October 10, 2020, 09:06:13 PM
Quote from: lenny on October 10, 2020, 07:36:05 PM

Loup & Ballinderry (1)
Ballinascreen & Glen (2)

Surely each team total for and against depends on the quality of opposition.
Your next step is to give a weighting to each team and factor it into your interim results.

Looking at my totals: Slaughtneil

Slaughtneil
Scoring Average: 20pts (1st)
Conceding Average: 9pts (1st)

Magherafelt
Scoring Average: 12pts (Joint 13th)
Conceding Average: 10pts (2nd)

Loup

Ballinderry
Conceding Average:  16pts (11th)

Glen
Scoring Average: 19pts (2nd)
Conceding Average: 11pts (3rd)

Swatragh
Conceding Average: 12pts (4th)

Coleraine
Conceding Average: 15pts (10th)

Ballinascreen
Scoring Average: 17pts (4th)

Newbridge
Scoring Average: 18pts (3rd)

Bellaghy

Lavey

Dungiven

Claudy
Conceding Average: 15pts (9th)

Kilrea
Conceding Average: 21pts (15th)

Foreglen
Scoring Average: 12pts (joint 13th)
Conceding Average: 25pts (16th)

Banagher
Conceding Average: 19pts (14th)

restorepride

Sleacht Néill won the Senior Football Championship and deservedly so, imo - it can be as simple as that!  You have to admire what they have achieved again this year - football, camogie and hurling.  Maith iad.