10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

howlongref

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 03, 2020, 07:57:51 PM
Slaughtneil by 7
Greenlough by 5
Serious disrespect being shown to the county champions. This board under estimates a team that has improved on last year. Kick of a ball will decide it.

theticklemister

Quote from: howlongref on October 03, 2020, 08:36:05 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 03, 2020, 07:57:51 PM
Slaughtneil by 7
Greenlough by 5
Serious disrespect being shown to the county champions. This board under estimates a team that has improved on last year. Kick of a ball will decide it.

Just that Slaughtneil have played such majestic football this year, they look favourites. Magherafelt will close down everything tomorrow but.

Bronco

Ye couldn't watch that Magherafelt team,horrible style of football. Slaughtneil aren't as strong as they were but in McGuigan they have the best forward in Derry which could make the difference.

theticklemister

Quote from: Bronco on October 04, 2020, 09:30:50 AM
Ye couldn't watch that Magherafelt team,horrible style of football. Slaughtneil aren't as strong as they were but in McGuigan they have the best forward in Derry which could make the difference.

Jesus I don't know about that. I haven't seen this Slaughtneil team in the flesh this year, but from the tv they look bigger and stronger. The appetite is definitely there and the best thing about it, they have really advanced their ways of scoring. They can mix it up and their long balls into the full forward line have been a joy to watch. Pinpoint accuracy. We haven't even seen the best of Chrissy or Brendan this year either. Sean Cassidy has been brilliant at wing forward but it's the improvements of the likes of Brian Cassidy in the corner which has really impressed me.

Bronco

The standard overall in Derry has dropped over the last few years. Slaughtneil imo have also gone backwards a wee bit.

It speaks volumes about where Derry are that the current county champions play 14 men behind the ball even against weaker sides.

Will it ever end

Interested to hear how you feel Derry club football has regressed?

oakleaflad

Looking forward to today. It doesn't always happen but it feels like this year we have the 2 best teams in the final at Senior, Intermediate and Junior level. That should make for good games.

I'll say Slaughtneil by 3, Greenlough by 2.

Will it ever end

Agree on best teams in all 3 finals which is quite rare.

Bronco

Just my opinion based on watching games over the last few years. The quality has decreased, the defensive tactics have increased to an extent that the current champions play a style you'd expect from a relegation battling side. Throw in the fact that brilliant footballers like Gilligan,Muldoon, Bradley, etc have retired and apart from McGuigan there's very little sign of similarly talented players to replace them.

Quote from: Will it ever end on October 04, 2020, 10:06:50 AM

restorepride

Quote from: Bronco on October 04, 2020, 11:19:25 AM
Just my opinion based on watching games over the last few years. The quality has decreased, the defensive tactics have increased to an extent that the current champions play a style you'd expect from a relegation battling side. Throw in the fact that brilliant footballers like Gilligan,Muldoon, Bradley, etc have retired and apart from McGuigan there's very little sign of similarly talented players to replace them.

I would agree with Bronco.  The club championship is, of course, very intense and competitive but that does not necessarily mean quality football.  I think that the sharp edge of local/parish rivalry can mask an underlying lack of top talent.  Hence Division 4.  But that is not to take away from Magherafelt and Sleacht NĂ©ill today - 2 best teams are in the final, weather will be a equaliser - draw?!!  Extra time, penalties?!!!!

Will it ever end

Slaughtneil when they went on the first of their 4 in a row played a similar style? Gweedore similar style / Kilcoo similar style

Are you saying the standard of Derry club football is not as competitive in Ulster - Gilligan / Muldoon & Bradley are all either 40 or over 40 in Enda's case - outstanding players but hardly seen to their greatest in the last 3 / 4 years

I just wouldn't accept that Derry club football has regressed in the overall standards in the province.

restorepride

Quote from: Will it ever end on October 04, 2020, 12:59:05 PM
Slaughtneil when they went on the first of their 4 in a row played a similar style? Gweedore similar style / Kilcoo similar style

Are you saying the standard of Derry club football is not as competitive in Ulster - Gilligan / Muldoon & Bradley are all either 40 or over 40 in Enda's case - outstanding players but hardly seen to their greatest in the last 3 / 4 years

I just wouldn't accept that Derry club football has regressed in the overall standards in the province.

County champions do not represent the standard of a county championship.

Will it ever end

Bronco made two points:

Style of play by MFelt - I just alluded to recent examples of other teams - it's unfair to say that's a reflection of the County situation.

Retirees - They've retired a few years & with the exception of Gilligan were seeing less & less game time.

Derry club football & the top 4 / 5 would rank highly in Ulster - it would be again unfair to suggest otherwise

restorepride

Congratulations to Greenlough, worthy winners.  Their big players brought their influence to bear when needed.  Steelstown had a great chance today and the chances to win it - maybe a mixture of inexperience and poor decision making cost them - both on the field and off.  Easy with hindsight, but when you go 4 points up and are on top, making 2 substitutions seems crazy, whether pre-planned or not. 

As a matter of interest, do some umpires never go to Specsavers?!!!  Fair play to the ref for making the decisions for them.  Time though to bring in that white spray stuff so that frees are taken from the correct spot!

restorepride

Must be near the snore break now!