Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 27, 2019, 10:09:18 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2019, 09:40:18 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 26, 2019, 05:35:28 PM

Given that the spread of jobs and population is not going to happen, why not try the split, even for a few years?

As blewuporstuffed says, what happens when the effects of the funding DOES kick in?

The likelihood is that Dublin will continue to win most, if not all, All Irelands for the next five years, at minimum. When does it become a problem?

At least with Kerry and Kilkenny and their periods of dominance, those extreme population and logistical advantages that Dublin have were not a factor. There was always going to be a period where they dropped back into the pack.

Yep, nobody wants a routine All Irelands where 30 counties think they've no chance.

I wrote a post earlier this week, saying that I'd have no problem if the split of Dublin was looked into. So long as at the sametime, there was also looked into the alternative of the merger of counties, so we'd have maybe 12 counties or merged counties in the championship. And people could analyze the two proposals and vote accordingly.

The benefit of the latter being that every player in every county would have a realistic ambition of playing in an All Ireland final. The splitting of Dublin wouldn't do anything to the 15-20 counties that would still have absolutely no chance of All Ireland success, even in their children's lifetime. And I'd say it's closer to 25.

I think we've come to the point in your first paragraph this year. Does that mean you don't want this all Ireland?
Ah, there's still at least one team in each of the other provinces who'll have a go if/when they face us

armaghniac

Yep, nobody wants a routine All Irelands where 30 counties think they've no chance.

I wrote a post earlier this week, saying that I'd have no problem if the split of Dublin was looked into. So long as at the sametime, there was also looked into the alternative of the merger of counties, so we'd have maybe 12 counties or merged counties in the championship. And people could analyze the two proposals and vote accordingly.

The benefit of the latter being that every player in every county would have a realistic ambition of playing in an All Ireland final. The splitting of Dublin wouldn't do anything to the 15-20 counties that would still have absolutely no chance of All Ireland success, even in their children's lifetime. And I'd say it's closer to 25.

Merger is another issue. Perhaps a situation like the Kerry county championship is needed, with some amalgamations. The unamalgamated counties would also play in the league etc. But just as other counties rarely copy this model for their clubs, counties will not merge.
The point is, and I've said this before, if two counties refuse to merge they are mainly hurting the prospects of their own players, not anyone else.
Were Dublin split, it would then come into useful competition with a dozen teams, even if you feel another cohort of teams are below that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 29, 2019, 02:25:59 PM
But what about the money.......

https://www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/dublin-finances-argument-413086?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web&__twitter_impression=true

Just goes to show, it's more about the money that's given/granted/doped in order for the team to get there, and not the actual money spent on that team to field year on year.

Talking about shooting oneself in one's foot... I give you this piece of self-serving straw-man delusional dross, seriously.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hawkeye9212

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 29, 2019, 02:25:59 PM
But what about the money.......

https://www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/dublin-finances-argument-413086?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web&__twitter_impression=true

The money helps though. He mentioned counties which have wealthy sponsors. Kerry has the Kerry Group. Cork has Chill Insurance. Kilkenny has Glanbia.

priceyreilly

The games up. This is now all over the media and on the terraces. For years it was silenced but now it's common knowledge. Dublin have doped their way to a huge number of titles since 2005. The counts up to 55 titles I believe. There's an asterisk beside every single one of these titles. Everyone knows it, even the Dubs. It really was a dark period in the history of the GAA. It's coming to an end though. The split is very near.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: priceyreilly on June 29, 2019, 03:49:23 PM
The games up. This is now all over the media and on the terraces. For years it was silenced but now it's common knowledge. Dublin have doped their way to a huge number of titles since 2005. The counts up to 55 titles I believe. There's an asterisk beside every single one of these titles. Everyone knows it, even the Dubs. It really was a dark period in the history of the GAA. It's coming to an end though. The split is very near.
poor snowflake.

You would swear the Dubs broke up an equal field where Longford, Sligo and Antrim were pushing for national titles. 25 counties have always been rubbish at any given time. Its an odd coincidence that the rest of Leinster independently went through a phase of being cat at the same time Dublin pushed on. Not our fault.

The idea that there has been suppression of talk about Dublins funding is laughable.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2019, 03:01:34 PM

Merger is another issue. Perhaps a situation like the Kerry county championship is needed, with some amalgamations. The unamalgamated counties would also play in the league etc. But just as other counties rarely copy this model for their clubs, counties will not merge.
The point is, and I've said this before, if two counties refuse to merge they are mainly hurting the prospects of their own players, not anyone else.
Were Dublin split, it would then come into useful competition with a dozen teams, even if you feel another cohort of teams are below that.

Do you really think the Dublin crowd of today will neatly break into 4 crowds and follow the new franchises? Will they fock, it will kill football in the capital.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 30, 2019, 10:34:05 PM

Do you really think the Dublin crowd of today will neatly break into 4 crowds and follow the new franchises? Will they fock, it will kill football in the capital.

It's either that or you hold onto what you have at the moment. Dublin beating everyone in second gear and the fans will stop going and it will kill inter-county football in the capital. You are damned if you do and you are damned if you don't!

Dinny Breen

Dublin win their 8th in a row Ladies Leinster Title.

Amazing that two golden generations of different genders from the same county are in existence at the same time.

What are the odds?
#newbridgeornowhere

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 01, 2019, 09:15:34 AM

Amazing that two golden generations of different genders from the same county are in existence at the same time.

What are the odds?

Longford women need to pull their socks up
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dinny Breen

I see Kilmacud Crokes won Feile u14 Division 1. Another golden generation although funny enough the senior football coach in Kilmacud Shane Smith, who as an aside has a masters in Sports Science signals out their GDO Pauric McDonald on twitter for his great coaching foundations.

But according to Hound these guys just go to schools, I am confused and probably just mean spirited.
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote from: trileacman on July 01, 2019, 09:32:39 AM

What are the odds?

They will need to be able to afford socks first. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

RedHand88

Quote from: trileacman on July 01, 2019, 09:32:39 AM

What are the odds?

They're too busy going on Love Island.