Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Hardy on June 24, 2014, 04:23:37 PM

a lot of it includes Church of Ireland people, by virtue of a particular concentration of them where I live. Popular prejudice would presume a high level of pro-British feeling among people of that background. I don't know one of them who considers himself/herself anything but Irish, never mind "more British than Irish".

My Protestant in laws ( 2 different sets) certainly don't consider themselves to be anything other than Irish and have no particular pro Britishness about them at all.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 24, 2014, 04:34:05 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 24, 2014, 03:51:05 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 24, 2014, 03:39:35 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 24, 2014, 03:37:20 PM
I'm not a McIlroy fan. However as a nordie there is a conflict in all of us when it comes to idenity, although I don't like admitting it. I see no problem with his support for Ulster Rugby. I don't really have an issue with his thinking of himself as more British than Irish, it is probably true of a lot of people in the south as well. The only real issue I have and it is not his fault is the use of that loyalist rag to represent people from the North. I also feel that in an all Ireland sport we need an agreed neutral flag. But there is an Irish tendancy and not just in people from Hollywood to lick arse, be it British, European or American arse. Rory's not on his own.

I don't know anyone (Irish) in the south who thinks this way.
Dosen't say much for your social circle. I'd say there are still a fair few West Brits out there!

My social circle is grand. As it happens, a lot of it includes Church of Ireland people, by virtue of a particular concentration of them where I live. Popular prejudice would presume a high level of pro-British feeling among people of that background. I don't know one of them who considers himself/herself anything but Irish, never mind "more British than Irish".

I mean no reflection on yourself, Applesisapples. I find that a lot of Northerners harbour this misconception about us Irish down here. It's just not true.
You Irish down there as opposed to us brits? There are many prods in border counties who would be more British than Irish. Take Basil McCrea and WIllie Hay as examples both prominent Unionist Politicians, both born in Donegal.

No. We Irish down here as perceived by you Irish up there. Stop looking for offence where none exists. As regards, Donegal, I haven't a clue. I was just responding to your statement that "a lot of people in the south" probably think of themselves as more British than Irish and giving you my perception from my experience.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Hardy on June 24, 2014, 04:37:42 PM
I'm not a McIlroy fan. However as a nordie there is a conflict in all of us when it comes to idenity, although I don't like admitting it. I see no problem with his support for Ulster Rugby. I don't really have an issue with his thinking of himself as more British than Irish, it is probably true of a lot of people in the south as well. The only real issue I have and it is not his fault is the use of that loyalist rag to represent people from the North. I also feel that in an all Ireland sport we need an agreed neutral flag. But there is an Irish tendancy and not just in people from Hollywood to lick arse, be it British, European or American arse. Rory's not on his own.

Dosen't say much for your social circle. I'd say there are still a fair few West Brits out there!

My social circle is grand. As it happens, a lot of it includes Church of Ireland people, by virtue of a particular concentration of them where I live. Popular prejudice would presume a high level of pro-British feeling among people of that background. I don't know one of them who considers himself/herself anything but Irish, never mind "more British than Irish".

I mean no reflection on yourself, Applesisapples. I find that a lot of Northerners harbour this misconception about us Irish down here. It's just not true.
You Irish down there as opposed to us brits? There are many prods in border counties who would be more British than Irish. Take Basil McCrea and WIllie Hay as examples both prominent Unionist Politicians, both born in Donegal.

No. We Irish down here as perceived by you Irish up there. Stop looking for offence where none exists. As regards, Donegal, I haven't a clue. I was just responding to your statement that "a lot of people in the south" probably think of themselves as more British than Irish and giving you my perception from my experience.
I knew what you meant, I'm not in the least offended you will no doubt be glad to here.

stephenite

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 25, 2014, 10:12:14 AM
Quote from: Hardy on June 24, 2014, 04:37:42 PM

I knew what you meant, I'm not in the least offended you will no doubt be glad to here.

Hear

Hardy

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

EC Unique

New Bird 8)

Model Sasha Gale.

sensethetone

WT4E

mmmmmmm is that not a picture of nadia forde the other gal he's linked with?

screenexile

Always good when lads remember the rules!!

haranguerer

Great looking girl, but shes no model. Same goes for the other one.

Aristo 60

10/1 he'll be back with the Sweeney doll by the turn of the decade.

Any golfer will tell you the first (hole in one) is the sweetest.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: WT4E on July 23, 2014, 01:26:30 PM
mmmmmmm is that not a picture of nadia forde the other gal he's linked with?
It is. EC got his source wrong. The wee curly hoor must have the pick of them now.