Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteHe is entitled to believe he is from Northern Ireland.

Quite. Indeed he is not entitled to believe that he is from anywhere else.

Especially in the GAA we expect people to be proud of where they are from.

None of this excuses using divisive political symbols.

Anyhow you believe that he should do what he likes, whether or not this is right and damn the consequences. I believe that he has politicised golf in a way that was not necessary. He stirs the shit and yet I am the one who should be banned from the Internet.   :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thebigfella

Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2012, 05:19:17 PM
QuoteI wish there was a ban list for the internet, I'd certainly be nominating you for inclusion.

So if I believe that it would have been less divisive if Rory McIlroy had used an Ulster flag instead of a NI one, then I should be banned from the Internet. One suspects that the Internet would have many bans if such an opinion warrants censorship. The intolerance of some people is mind boggling.

If you choose to be offended that's your choice. People trying to paint McIroy as some sort a traitor/sell out/Loyalist Paramilitary Supporter/billy wright's love child etc..... over a f**king flag is pathetic. People must have little to worry about if it upsets them that much.

Puckoon

Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2012, 06:15:49 PM
QuoteHe is entitled to believe he is from Northern Ireland.

Especially in the GAA we expect people to be proud of where they are from.

None of this excuses using divisive political symbols.

Anyhow you believe that he should do what he likes, whether or not this is right and damn the consequences. I believe that he has politicised golf in a way that was not necessary. He stirs the shit and yet I am the one who should be banned from the Internet.   :-\

He is not a member of the GAA (AFAIK) so even if the expectation you listed above is a provision for membership, or affiliation with the GAA, or even acceptance by members of the GAA (which is another thing altogether) - it cannot be leveled at him.

"He has politicised golf" and he "stirs the shit"? Sweet mother of Jesus is it draughty in there much? Such nonsense.

As an aside - the flag with which you take such umbrage is assigned to Rory, and G-Mac and Darren Clarke on the leaderboard of every tournament they take part in. They do not play under the tri-colour. I appreciated the efforts G-MAC made to wear the European flag, and he has posted a link on his FB page in which Winker Watson interviews him afterwards and you can see a man stick a NI flag in his hand and he neither puts it on nor waves it. He almost hides it.

These boys are under tremendous pressure to please everyone and I've never understood the pressure they talk about, as I always considered those who would find offence (on either side of whatever decision they eventually make) to be neanderthalic eejits with chips on all shoulders.

I never suggested you should be banned from the internet.

Milltown Row2

QuoteI wish there was a ban list for the internet, I'd certainly be nominating you for inclusion.

So if I believe that it would have been less divisive if Rory McIlroy had used an Ulster flag instead of a NI one, then I should be banned from the Internet. One suspects that the Internet would have many bans if such an opinion warrants censorship. The intolerance of some people is mind boggling.

Is this you trying to be funny?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Toby Lerone

Hi everyone 1st post.  I'd like to stir the pot a little , if i may.  The problem for me was not Rory McIroy wearing the northern Ireland flag but Stephen Watson rushing over to put it round his shoulders.  Given the whole British/Irish argument and his subsequent statement, i would image that the last thing he would have wanted was another controversy to arise.  I would like to give the lad the benefit of the doubt and hope that he didn't realise what the flag actually signified but Stephen Watson should have known better,  but then again maybe he did.

Bearly on loose

Good to have you on board Jerome.....sorry Toby!  ;)

Toby Lerone

Puckoon

To borrow a phrase from Armaniac - Stephen Watson is nortorious for politicising sport. This is neither a surprise nor a shock. It is his MO.

Newbridge Exile

W*nkerWatson  an  even bigger tool with a few jars in him as well, my brother was a barman in a well known watering hole up in the Port, and had to put up with him at the North West weekend , obnoxious is how he used to describe him

dillinger

Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2012, 02:27:30 PM
QuoteBut if he wore a tri colour you'd be happy?

Of course we'd be happy, the tricolour has both orange and green.

McIlroy has stirred this up himself. If he had any sense he would not have pontificated on the issue. One thing most people from NI are good at doing is keep politics out of it if there is no need for it.
If another guy from Northern Ireland, any sport, had wrapped an Irish flag around him when celebrating because he seen him-self as Irish,would people be making as much fuss?

I bet the Protestants and Unionists would not be near as bothered.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hardy on October 04, 2012, 05:11:43 PM
There is absolutely no hope. It's sad to see the ageing generation set in their bunkers and unable to learn the lessons of the history they've lived through. But it is absolutely desperate, and I use the word carefully, to see so many of the next generation here, not only mired, but revelling in the same cess that brought previous generations to the edge of perdition.
Nice golf reference in there Hardy.

michaelg

Quote from: dillinger on October 04, 2012, 08:44:41 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2012, 02:27:30 PM
QuoteBut if he wore a tri colour you'd be happy?

Of course we'd be happy, the tricolour has both orange and green.

McIlroy has stirred this up himself. If he had any sense he would not have pontificated on the issue. One thing most people from NI are good at doing is keep politics out of it if there is no need for it.
If another guy from Northern Ireland, any sport, had wrapped an Irish flag around him when celebrating because he seen him-self as Irish,would people be making as much fuss?

I bet the Protestants and Unionists would not be near as bothered.
Plenty of huffy, pedantic, petty Prods too.  To be fair though, no-one really gives a f**k when big Darrren gets draped in the tricolour, and people generally not overly arsed about use of tricolour for rugby team either. 

thewobbler

So you reckon it would be less devisive if a man from the six counties made a public show of being from the nine counties? You are aware that the meaning of divisive is not 'my preference', aren't you?

Orior

The sentiment is this thread would suggest that some people would be happy to see NI flags at Gaelic matches in the six counties.

Hmmmm.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Orior on October 04, 2012, 11:27:26 PM
The sentiment is this thread would suggest that some people would be happy to see NI flags at Gaelic matches in the six counties.

Hmmmm.

Never thought of it to be honest, but could we get more Unionists to join the GAA if we flew the Nothern Irish Banner, Ulster Flag and Ireland flags side by side in the North!
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.