omaghjoe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2017, 11:34:28 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on January 11, 2017, 10:32:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2017, 09:59:14 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on January 11, 2017, 09:14:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2017, 09:09:29 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on January 11, 2017, 08:57:09 PM
Kinda illogical reasoning from Rory
Hundreds of Olympians compete for countries that they arent attached to for various reasons, he could have competed for himself, the sport or whatever. A half decent interviewer could have put that to him but I suspect that he hasn't really thought it through that much.

By trying to not being political he is ironically being political. Now he may feel no attachment to either flag or state or whatever that's fair enough but it isnt really a reason not to compete in a competition.

I suspect that the real reason was he didnt want to offend his mates and/or in his circle of friends its the vogue thing to be unattached to either flag and the more unattached you are the cooler you are so he's just going with that.

His mates?? The guy lives in the states ffs!! His friends would mainly be people on his team! Other golfers on the circuit and his girlfriend! He's here maybe 3/4 times a year I'd imagine and golfing the rest of the year

thatd be the wans he flew over to France for the NI matches and or down to Ravenhill with

Well that's what ya would do with friends.... and when you're a multi millionaire you can do that...

thats right....and so those are the same mates in my point....

Look the guy seems very self assured and intelligent.... confidence isn't a problem so I'd assume peer pressure isn't an issue either... do you feel the need to keep your friends happy all the time? Or do you feel the need to be yourself? Maybe just maybe he does things he wants to do because that's what he wants, I know that's a crazy thought, I mean what dick would do that eh?

Peer pressure?? Huh?
I was talking about social norms within his social group, we all adhere even strive to attain those to gain social status no matter how intelligent or how confident we are, in fact it probably feeds confidence rather than vise versa.

Anyway as I said Im guessing that its a social norm within his group of friends (like a lot of middle class North Down as you point out) to appear apathetic to the constitutional question and the more apathetic you are the better. But Rory has now trumped the lot with the ultimate in sovereign apathy, he turned down a place at the Olympics because he doesn't identify with it.... ;D ;D ;D. Its just smacks of trying to hard to be honest.

Puckoon

Hold on... he didn't wanna go to the Olympics cause he's scared of offending his mates? His mates like?

He's in a position to be the fuckin Mufasa of ALL his (real) mates. Unless you meant he was worried about annoying Niall Horan? Then I'd buy it.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Puckoon on January 12, 2017, 05:25:49 AM
Hold on... he didn't wanna go to the Olympics cause he's scared of offending his mates? His mates like?

He's in a position to be the fuckin Mufasa of ALL his (real) mates. Unless you meant he was worried about annoying Niall Horan? Then I'd buy it.

They're hardly gonna be mates if he offends them now are they no matter how many private jets he flys them about in? Besides Id already clarified that its the fashionable thing to be in North Down social circles

Im open to other suggestions as to why he really decided not to go to the Olympics, but this latest attachment thing is about as unbelievable as his Zika excuse

Orior

Will he also turn down the envitable nomination for an MBE?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 12, 2017, 05:43:47 AM

They're hardly gonna be mates if he offends them now are they no matter how many private jets he flys them about in? Besides Id already clarified that its the fashionable thing to be in North Down social circles

Im open to other suggestions as to why he really decided not to go to the Olympics, but this latest attachment thing is about as unbelievable as his Zika excuse

I would think him turning down the Olympics was a combination of things including the flag issue, the fact the Olympics really doesn't mean anything in golf, the zika issue and contract problems with him being a Nike ambassador and not being able to wear their gear when he was competing!!

All those things add up to a lot of hassle which he didn't really need so he pulled the pin. Who could argue with him either the way he finished off last season? Would you not rather have €10m in your sky rocket than an Olynpic medal in a sport that shouldn't be near the Olympics!

Applesisapples

Quote from: AQMP on January 12, 2017, 10:11:58 AM
Quote from: Orior on January 12, 2017, 07:52:45 AM
Will he also turn down the envitable nomination for an MBE?

To be fair to McIlroy he could just follow Paddy Barnes' example!
I couldn't fathom Barnes decision given his background. Seems like Nationalists like the gongs now more than ever. I personally wouldn't bow to any manor woman, unless they were Japanese and bowing back. Did Mc Ilroy not get a gong last year?

Applesisapples

Quote from: AQMP on January 12, 2017, 10:21:16 AM
Quote from: screenexile on January 12, 2017, 09:58:14 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on January 12, 2017, 05:43:47 AM

I would think him turning down the Olympics was a combination of things including the flag issue, the fact the Olympics really doesn't mean anything in golf, the zika issue and contract problems with him being a Nike ambassador and not being able to wear their gear when he was competing!!

All those things add up to a lot of hassle which he didn't really need so he pulled the pin. Who could argue with him either the way he finished off last season? Would you not rather have €10m in your sky rocket than an Olynpic medal in a sport that shouldn't be near the Olympics!

I think this is a pretty fair summation screenexile.  As I posted earlier had he come out a couple of years ago and said I'm not comfortable with representing either team so I'm not going - fair enough, in fact that would show a bit of balls, and he's basically said this is now his position for 2020.  I would think there'll hardly be a word about it for the foreseeable.

However while it doesn't offend me, the sight of him with the symbol of a one party,sectarian, tinpot dictatorship, police state (rant over!) wrapped round his shoulders, does grate with me.
Thats exactly right, at least McGuigan wrapped a white flag around himself or was it a dove?

Orior

Good start be Rory - new clubs must be working okay

Boycey

Most of yis that get annoyed about him probably don't know but hes been playing golf this morning.....

Decent start one off the lead currently after shooting a 67. He threatened a better round but showed signs of rustiness in the back nine.

screenexile

Quote from: Boycey on January 12, 2017, 10:50:17 AM
Most of yis that get annoyed about him probably don't know but hes been playing golf this morning.....

Decent start one off the lead currently after shooting a 67. He threatened a better round but showed signs of rustiness in the back nine.

Something like 7 of the last 8 years he's been in the top 5 for his first tournament outing of the year!!

Pity his odds are shocking!!

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: screenexile on January 12, 2017, 11:00:18 AM

Something like 7 of the last 8 years he's been in the top 5 for his first tournament outing of the year!!

Here what are you talking about golf for back to slegging Rory. I reckon his big worry is if the DUP feck things up any more by the time Tokyo 2020 comes round representing GB wont even be an option lol

Minder

Yeah odds are low as it's a fairly weak field, the big names are playing in Hawaii
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Orior

I think you've hit the nail on the head. He's brought up in a culture of supporting OWC and Ulster Rugby and his mates would all be british passport holders. (They're the people that want to know why they cannot vote Tory or Labour in local elections). So clearly in that environment Rory will have no affiliation whatsoever with Ireland or being Irish.

Which makes his delight at winning the Irish Open rather puzzling. His celebration looked pretty genuine to me.

laoislad

Quote from: Minder on January 12, 2017, 01:41:45 PM

Yeah odds are low as it's a fairly weak field, the big names are playing in Hawaii
Any random Yanks to cheer for?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JoG2

Quote from: Orior on January 13, 2017, 11:20:36 AM

I think you've hit the nail on the head. He's brought up in a culture of supporting OWC and Ulster Rugby and his mates would all be british passport holders. (They're the people that want to know why they cannot vote Tory or Labour in local elections). So clearly in that environment Rory will have no affiliation whatsoever with Ireland or being Irish.

Which makes his delight at winning the Irish Open rather puzzling. His celebration looked pretty genuine to me.

I'd say there's a big number of nationalists / republicans on this board carrying British passports (though few would admit to it)