Our girleens had a better day in Kiltoom on Saturday than ye're oul women ;D

What's Kiltoom, a mart?
MWWSI 2017

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Rossfan on May 11, 2009, 07:43:03 PM

Mayo plays in the Division 1 Final

Roscommon plays in the Division 3 Final

Sums up the differences between the officially most boring town in Ireland (the entire County of Roscommon was voted!!! - too many Ross towns on the list to choose which) & the beautifull sparkling jewel of mountains (3 tallest in Connacht), cliffs, lakes (2 biggest in Connacht & 2+3 on Island), castles, beautiful boglands, fertile stone walled grasslands, bays, islands(biggest in Ireland), golden beachs, fjiords (Only one in Ireland) abbeys, sea stacks, beautiful tourist towns, vibrant shopping/business towns, O YEA & GOOD FOOTBALL to your West.

RedandGreenSniper

I've always marvelled at how on the drive from Dublin to Castlebar the only bad road you hit is the part of the N5 that goes through Roscommon (Tarmonnbarry to Strokestown excepted). While everyone else is trying to get with the 21st century programme, the Rossies are still happy with cattle tracks for roads. Raize the county to the ground, we might get to Dublin in a half decent time then :P.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on May 11, 2009, 11:35:07 PM

Sums up the differences between the officially most boring town in Ireland (the entire County of Roscommon was voted!!! - too many Ross towns on the list to choose which) & the beautifull sparkling jewel of mountains (3 tallest in Connacht), cliffs, lakes (2 biggest in Connacht & 2+3 on Island), castles, beautiful boglands, fertile stone walled grasslands, bays, islands(biggest in Ireland), golden beachs, fjiords (Only one in Ireland) abbeys, sea stacks, beautiful tourist towns, vibrant shopping/business towns, O YEA & GOOD FOOTBALL to your West.

Son of Sam, we should get you working for the Mayo tourism board!!

Rossfan

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 11, 2009, 11:40:57 PM
I've always marvelled at how on the drive from Dublin to Castlebar the only bad road you hit is the part of the N5 that goes through Roscommon (Tarmonnbarry to Strokestown excepted). While everyone else is trying to get with the 21st century programme, the Rossies are still happy with cattle tracks for roads. Raize the county to the ground, we might get to Dublin in a half decent time then :P.

The N5 is a National Road and comes under the authority of the NRA so Ros Co Council have no say in it.
Mind you if it stopped ye hoors driving through and defiling our County it might be worth asking the NRA not to improve it. :D

I wonder where son of Sam saw those "walled fertile grasslands" ? It certainly wasnt in the snipe grassed county of Mayo anyway ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

You have to admire the pride SOS has for his county even if it is mayo.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 11, 2009, 11:40:57 PM

And nearly every house along that strech of road put up a Mayo flag and well wishes on yer way up in '06. Ye forget quick enough. Sure ye boys are usually in no hurry home anyway ;)

weareros

Aragh will you stop talking shite. Roscommon is famous for its ancient castles, abbeys and pristine lakes. The clans who built those castles also protected your Mayo hides for thousands of years and if you knew your history young garsun you'd know the O'Connors of Roscommon built many of the great abbeys in Mayo too. The only thing ye have over us is the mountains. I'll grant ye that. But it was a sorry day some of ye Mayo lads came down those swampy slopes because ye have been speaking some awful nonsense ever since mostly directed at unfortunate Roscommon ears.

To bring this back on topic , I was in the vicinity of Gaelic Park on Sunday and decided to check out Johno's Mayo in the off chance Ros would be meeting them in June, although that will be some turf skirmish in Carrick and M&M will be gunning for a chance to meet Mayo. Mayo won't have learned much after Sunday's match because New York's challenge was harmless enough although fair play they never stopped trying till the end. They were a very small team New York and the missus thought they were one of those underage teams that kick the ball around before a game starts. Despite that they went 4 points up after only a few minutes  while Mayo were still getting used to the astoturf, it not being the usual wet bogs they are accustomed to back home. New York actually should have went 1-5 to - 0-3 up after 10 mins missing an open goal chance after a deperate safe by Mayo keeper, that swiped the legs from under the New York lad. Had that gone in the Gaelic Park burgers would have took a bit longer to settle in the stomachs of the travelling support. A crumb of comfort for Ros or Leitrim is the fact that Mayo's defence when put under pressure still look shakey enough. Ronan McGarrity was my man of the match, fetching some great balls out of the sky. I was interested to see how Aodan O'Shea would fair and he's an 18 or 19 year old that has the gimp of a much older player. The Kerry blood ensures that there is a football brain in him. But if Fergal or M&M had any scout watching him at all, he can be marked easily enough due to his lack of mobility, but give him space and he can do damage, kick a nice point, or as a target man can bust up the play. I'd say putting someone tight and fast on Alan Dillon, keeping tight on O'Shea and beating him for speed, and somoneone to counteract McGarrity's fielding would allow Ros or Leitrm to make things difficult for Mayo. Have they the players is the question. Mayo have an experienced, settled look about them and with Conor Mortimor to come back will be confident enough of a Connacht crown and who knows what after that.

For the history buffs, the New York team of 1984 that beat a strong Mayo team in the Gael Linn tournament was honored at half-time. It was a pity Ros legend Jigger O'Connor was not there, but a look at the program showed he played his part in beating Mayo that day as he had always done in his all too short career for Ros.The crowd was tame enough on Sunday despite the efforts of that St. Patrick fella to get them going. Have seen him at a couple of Mayo matches against Ros teams in Castlebar. Do ye Mayo lads find him inspirational or a bit of a headcase. Another one who came down from the mountains I'm thinking myself.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: weareros on May 12, 2009, 01:28:21 PM
Do ye Mayo lads find him inspirational or a bit of a headcase. Another one who came down from the mountains I'm thinking myself.

personally i'd say the latter
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

SLIGONIAN

Aragh will you stop talking shite. Roscommon is famous for its ancient castles, abbeys and pristine lakes. The clans who built those castles also protected your Mayo hides for thousands of years and if you knew your history young garsun you'd know the O'Connors of Roscommon built many of the great abbeys in Mayo too. The only thing ye have over us is the mountains. I'll grant ye that. But it was a sorry day some of ye Mayo lads came down those swampy slopes because ye have been speaking some awful nonsense ever since mostly directed at unfortunate Roscommon ears.

To bring this back on topic , I was in the vicinity of Gaelic Park on Sunday and decided to check out Johno's Mayo in the off chance Ros would be meeting them in June, although that will be some turf skirmish in Carrick and M&M will be gunning for a chance to meet Mayo. Mayo won't have learned much after Sunday's match because New York's challenge was harmless enough although fair play they never stopped trying till the end. They were a very small team New York and the missus thought they were one of those underage teams that kick the ball around before a game starts. Despite that they went 4 points up after only a few minutes  while Mayo were still getting used to the astoturf, it not being the usual wet bogs they are accustomed to back home. New York actually should have went 1-5 to - 0-3 up after 10 mins missing an open goal chance after a deperate safe by Mayo keeper, that swiped the legs from under the New York lad. Had that gone in the Gaelic Park burgers would have took a bit longer to settle in the stomachs of the travelling support. A crumb of comfort for Ros or Leitrim is the fact that Mayo's defence when put under pressure still look shakey enough. Ronan McGarrity was my man of the match, fetching some great balls out of the sky. I was interested to see how Aodan O'Shea would fair and he's an 18 or 19 year old that has the gimp of a much older player. The Kerry blood ensures that there is a football brain in him. But if Fergal or M&M had any scout watching him at all, he can be marked easily enough due to his lack of mobility, but give him space and he can do damage, kick a nice point, or as a target man can bust up the play. I'd say putting someone tight and fast on Alan Dillon, keeping tight on O'Shea and beating him for speed, and somoneone to counteract McGarrity's fielding would allow Ros or Leitrm to make things difficult for Mayo. Have they the players is the question. Mayo have an experienced, settled look about them and with Conor Mortimor to come back will be confident enough of a Connacht crown and who knows what after that.

For the history buffs, the New York team of 1984 that beat a strong Mayo team in the Gael Linn tournament was honored at half-time. It was a pity Ros legend Jigger O'Connor was not there, but a look at the program showed he played his part in beating Mayo that day as he had always done in his all too short career for Ros.The crowd was tame enough on Sunday despite the efforts of that St. Patrick fella to get them going. Have seen him at a couple of Mayo matches against Ros teams in Castlebar. Do ye Mayo lads find him inspirational or a bit of a headcase. Another one who came down from the mountains I'm thinking myself.

Best newbie post ever :D welcome weareros
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Tubberman

:D :D Some first post - you're not shy and polite for a newcomer anyway!

Quoteif you knew your history young garsun you'd know the O'Connors of Roscommon built many of the great abbeys in Mayo too

A lot of truth to what you say as well. It was Cathal O'Connor who was responsible for building Ballintubber Abbey. A family in Ballintubber had fostered him and reared him for a few years when his own crowd in Ros were trying to murder him  ::)
Anyway, the Mayo decency must have rubbed off on him because he sent his men to build an abbey as thanks to the people of Ballintubber.
But the Rossie builders weren't the brightest (a trait that can be seen to this very day), and they built it in the wrong Ballintubber - they went to the one in Ros.
So O'Connor had one built 4 times bigger in the real Ballintubber.  ;D  
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Quote from: Tubberman on May 12, 2009, 01:56:44 PM
[
But the Rossie builders .... built it in the wrong Ballintubber - they went to the one in Ros.
So O'Connor had one built 4 times bigger in the real Ballintubber.  ;D  

Was there a Galway Tent in them days I wonder ? how else could they have got the land re zoned ?

By the way a great post by Weareros . Good to have another member of the master race on board. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

OirthearMhaigheo

Good post weareros, good to have another neighbour to have the banter with! Still I think you're leaving out the lakes, the Islands and the amazing coastline, I believe we also have an international airport and first world roads but maybe ye have them too?  ;D Being in the near vicinity to Ross I can confirm it is indeed famous for being a kip but then again most rossies don't deny that, it's part of the 'charm' of the place! Maybe this summer I'll open my mind a little and take a holiday in the beautiful town of Elphin or maybe push the boat out and enjoy the delights of Castlrea and take in the boglands of Loughlynn en route, oh yes, Ross has lots of bog too, that's one thing we don't have on ye!!