2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on March 30, 2018, 11:24:57 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on March 30, 2018, 11:19:45 PM
He was suspended for a breach of the teams COC. It is what it is. He'll be back, with fire in his veins. The birds love a bad boy too.

1) We are now going down the route of players signing contracts of behaviour?

2) Would he have breached the rules if people hadn't kicked off complaining about it?
You realise the laois players some years ago famously had a COC? Most clubs have one in fact.

High Fielder

There were incidents around the Adam Johnson case where bans were imposed for inappropriate tweets. Andre Gray of Burnley was banned for comments made on Twitter long before he played for them. Very many people have been sacked worldwide for comments made on Twitter, and some not in any way related to their workplace. My point is this. When you are a part of a club, organisation or workplace, you have a duty of care to them and they to you. You cannot expect their loyalty and support when you make an ill timed and ill judged remark because they mightn't want to be perceived in that way. Its fine to debate how long the ban should be, but we cannot expect sponsors and Laois to just allow this to happen without sanction. We do after all have many ladies teams at all levels, and I'm sure many of them were disgusted by the remarks. I was too. They weren't one bit nice.

I wish the team well today. It won't be easy after everything that has happened this week. It was a difficult enough assignment anyway.

Giovanni

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on March 31, 2018, 12:55:32 AM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on March 30, 2018, 11:11:06 PM

I don't agree with the decision to "suspend" him and more importantly I don't agree with WHY he was suspended. Laois GAA and John Sugrue didn't suspend him because of the tweet, they suspended him because of the grief they were getting about it.
Hounded into a decision by people on social media is not a correct basis for making a decision.

Given the circumstances (Gary Walsh would never have foreseen the furore that his tweet caused) I think that Laois Co Board could have been more protective of the player and arranged his temporary withdrawal from the panel rather than a suspension. Yes, his tweet was very foolish but it was probably a bravado outburst for the benefit of his friends and certainly not intended for a nationwide audience. The vitriolic abuse he had suffered plus missing out on the Div 4 Final is more than enough punishment.

This is the thing that really gets me about it. It seems that he DID know that it would be likely to cause a furore because the tweet itself said that he was going to throw the kitchen sink at the feminists that would attack him about it. My view is that his wearing of the Laois jersey in the Twitter profile is not the issue - the issue is that he's a clearly recognizable member of the Laois senior squad. Could you ever imagine Ross or JOL or Mark Timmons carrying on like that?

recyclebin

He is awful eejit with no cop on at all. He already had one famous tweet about putting someone in hospital and now this.

Then he goes and blurs out the sponsors name. I wonder will he be back at all this season.

If he wants to spout sh1te on the internet why doesn't he just do it under a false name. The reason he won't do that is that he loves the attention and he wouldn't get any on twitter if he was some nobody on Twitter.

What a clown! Right before a league final too. Makes the blood boil....

ILikeStrawberryJam

Good intelligent post high fielder. I think any manager/county board would have done the same.
Hes a big loss. As is evan. Especially against such a defensive side. We still might do it if donie and ross
have a good game but i put carlow as favourites now.
As Don says we just cant help ourselves in this county. There always seems to be some bullshit.

Anyways best of luck to the lads.

The PRO

Best of luck to the team today.
As for our top scorer.
First off, if i was him I'd be doing a James McClean on it and deleting my Twitter account.
Why he's no going on to make things even worse by blurring the sponsors name on his jersey is beyond me. That man, Martin Walsh has been very good to Laois GAA and is ultimately responsible for Gary's gear, meals after games and training etc.
Even the apology was a bit half assed.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: High Fielder on March 31, 2018, 09:00:16 AM
There were incidents around the Adam Johnson case where bans were imposed for inappropriate tweets. Andre Gray of Burnley was banned for comments made on Twitter long before he played for them. Very many people have been sacked worldwide for comments made on Twitter, and some not in any way related to their workplace. My point is this. When you are a part of a club, organisation or workplace, you have a duty of care to them and they to you. You cannot expect their loyalty and support when you make an ill timed and ill judged remark because they mightn't want to be perceived in that way. Its fine to debate how long the ban should be, but we cannot expect sponsors and Laois to just allow this to happen without sanction. We do after all have many ladies teams at all levels, and I'm sure many of them were disgusted by the remarks. I was too. They weren't one bit nice.

I wish the team well today. It won't be easy after everything that has happened this week. It was a difficult enough assignment anyway.

You do realise that two lads named above are professional players? And employees of their clubs? Gary Walsh, to the best of my knowledge, is neither an employee of Laois GAA or paid to play for them. It is absolutely not the same thing.

On the COC, posting on social media (even if reckless) is not connected to performance on the field of the play, or ability to prepare. It is not an element of the players life that should be controlled to this degree, in my opinion. You cannot liken this to drinking prior to games, non attendance at training or participation in games/activities while not permitted. These are what should be covered in a COC (not that one should be needed).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Unison

GO ON LAOIS. Best performance in years.

ILikeStrawberryJam

Very much a work in progress but fair play they got the win. They look united and buying into the mgmt. Kick outs were killing us and donie had an awful 2nd half after a brilliant 1st. Defensively still porous but all in all great to get the win without 3 of our starting forwards .. LAOIS LAOIS LAOIS

town1980

You couldnt say best performance in years jeez if Carlow could score we were in deep trouble ... this idea of letting Carlow run down the sideline baffled me but like I said I rated noone in this league and it warranted that statement... I'm very happy for John and his team as they had to deal with a stupid situation this week we looked excellent first half but our legs went at 45/46 minute stage that allowed Carlow Hilda's they missed woeful scores and Brendan Murphy for his hype is a poor footballer who just wants to try get his own scores and it cost Carlow... Brody v good John o loughlin very good lilies first half donie first half Ross was super defying his age ... job done work extra hard on fitness over next few weeks.. we'll done John and all involved

BallyroanAbu

High Fielder

It probably was our best in recent times. That isn't saying much because the last few years have been tripe. We played as a team today and it was nice to see. Ross was exceptional. Our defensive frailties are obvious for all to see but our options are limited in that regard. We had no midfield platform either and this allowed Carlow easy possession. But the forwards caused nightmares for Carlow. They couldn't commit in large numbers because our movement and work rate in the forwards was so much better than it has been. A work in progress for sure but at least there were things to like about the performance. Well done to all involved and that includes Gary Walsh whose scores got us there

Don Draper

Job done, f**k the begrudgers. Thanks john and team. Great to see Psycho there too, hope this can all be put behind him now.

And a word for Ross, god bless you. To think people wanted that man to retire 2 years ago. A genius.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great win and nice to get out of div4 at the first attempt. Ross really came good today and it was a blessing in disguise that Gary didn't play. Good all round team performance but we'll have to improve our kickout strategy, could have cost us the game today.
Well done all concerned....
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Unison

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on March 31, 2018, 06:16:29 PM
Quote from: Unison on March 31, 2018, 04:41:51 PM
GO ON LAOIS. Best performance in years.

Seriously ?

Initial euphoric reaction. In fairness, they played very well in the first half.

Ross is something else.