Mattie Murphy gets fired..

Started by GY Joe, November 15, 2006, 08:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GY Joe

From the indo:

Mattie has paid the price for his mismanagement of the minors this year..
I thought his attitude stank to be honest and his treatment of young lads was less than smart.. :(

Murphy sacking shocks Galway
Wednesday November 15th 2006

MATTIE MURPHY has vowed to continue in team management despite Galway's shock decision not to re-appoint him as the county's minor team boss.

"It's a bit too early yet to write my obituary," said Murphy yesterday as he came to terms with the hurling board's decision to get rid of him despite having led the county minor hurlers to four successive All-Ireland finals, winning two.

Ardrahan's Sean Connolly, the manager of the Galway vocational schools' team, was installed as the new minor boss. Connolly pipped Murphy for the job when delegates voted by a 29-23 margin at this week's meeting of the county hurling board.

"Any time you get beaten, it's disappointing, but life goes on, and you have got to accept the result," said Murphy, who has spent a total of seven years as the minor manager, steering them to four All-Ireland titles - 1992, '94, '04 and '05 - and to three finals - 1993, '03 and '06.

The fact that Galway lost this year's All-Ireland decider to Tipperary obviously cost Murphy the position, with his earlier successes being overlooked by delegates.

Murphy - who managed Galway seniors in 1996 and '97, and 1999 and 2000, leading them to two league titles - was one of the candidates for the Galway senior post last month, but agreed to withdraw when Ger Loughnane was parachuted in by the hurling board.

liihb

His record seems fairly impressive, what do you mean by "his attitude stank to be honest and his treatment of young lads was less than smart.. "
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

GY Joe

Quote from: liihb on November 15, 2006, 08:48:11 AM
His record seems fairly impressive, what do you mean by "his attitude stank to be honest and his treatment of young lads was less than smart.. "

Oh his record is impressive, its  stellar in fact.. But what I mean is that his attitude this year was that this team was not as good as last years and he just didn't seem interested. He also said it publicly that they weren't a patch on last years team of all stars. What away to motivate them huh?
Cant shake the feeling that they could have won the 3 in a row if they had a better coach and motivator thats all.. Mattie was not savvy enough..

Other than that, 4 minor titles makes him a legend in Galway Hurling circles..

liihb

Not the best motivation tactics, I would  agree with you. >:(
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

tayto

dosent sound great but i supoose it depends on what the context was and how accurate the quote.

tipp were really impressive in the final, hopefully some of those lads will come good for them. What was the corner forwards name, he was really sharp.

GalwayBayBoy

To be honest this year's minor team wasn't as talented as previous years but Mattie probably shouldn't have been in the papers every second week saying how they weren't a patch on the other teams he had. He was probably right and only being honest but it can't have done the players any good to hear their coach coming out with that stuff.

Pity really as Mattie is great with the underage coaching but he's rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way in his time.

theskull1

Pity really as Mattie is great with the underage coaching but he's rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way in his time.

Mabye the rest of us are too nice or too soft to handle reality being thrown at us? The players could have done their upmost to prove him wrong could they not? If they were the right sort of player(s) it would have put a bit of fire in their bellies...you know ...."I'll prove that (unt wrong".
Players do need to be questioned from time to time...
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

belleaqua

In fairness to Murphy (I wouldnt be a massive fan of the man) his constant declaration that they werent a patch on the 05 team was an attempt to play down the hype of 3 in a row and take attention off Canning's historing making attempts.

it was a weak team, that was evident against Antrim the first day. Alot of annoyance over the amount of players he selected from the South Galway area, maybe this had something to do with it. 7 gort minors, and they didnt make the club co.final

Never heard much about this Sean Connolly, interesting to see how he gets on.

Guillem2

Hard luck on the fella. Expectations must be very high if he was sacked because of his record.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

slow corner back

Tell him to come up to antrim and manage our minors now woody and  sambo have their eye on the seniors