IRA Undefeated apparently and brits are bad drivers....

Started by An Fear Rua, July 06, 2007, 10:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26OC215p718&mode=related&search=

have to say Donagh
you and your cohorts are a wee bit too sdlp for our liking - way too middle of the road !
cant see why you would even want to answer these jaffas on this here board !

:D :D

Tonto

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 06, 2007, 09:52:35 PM
His repeated assertion that the IRA lost, which he knows will nettle many on this board

Why should such a view have the reaction to it that has been expressed by people.

I certainly believe the IRA were defeated.  Look at the facts:
-They did not achieve (or even nearly achieve) their ultimate aim.
-They have accepted the principle of consent.
-They supported an Agreement which relinquished the Irish Republic's claims to this part of the UK
-They have handed in all their weapons.
-Some of their most high profile members/ex members sit in Stormont, a partitionist parliament.
-They support a party which administers British rule in NI.
-They can no longer engage in violence.

Tell me again - where is the success in this story? :D

Undefeated my arse.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tonto on July 07, 2007, 01:05:15 AM
Quote from: Oraisteach on July 06, 2007, 09:52:35 PM
His repeated assertion that the IRA lost, which he knows will nettle many on this board

Why should such a view have the reaction to it that has been expressed by people.

-They supported an Agreement which relinquished the Irish Republic's claims to this part of the UK
-Some of their most high profile members/ex members sit in Stormont, a partitionist parliament.

Undefeated my arse.
yep you and the rest of the jaffas tell us what the objective of the IRA was

fcuk me
you lads still even now try to tell us whats what  :D :D

deiseach

Quote from: Tonto on July 07, 2007, 01:05:15 AM

Undefeated my arse.

All very true. But Unionism in its various guises, ranging from the Conservative & Unionist Party to Big Ian, fought the Troubles on the basis of 'not an inch'. While one could argue that barely two centimetres was ceded to Nationalism in its various guises, ranging from the Irish government to the Provos, I think several miles of concessions were made.

nifan

I agree Deiseach - both sides seem to be claiming victory and laughing at the others defeat, when in fact compromise seems to be the name of the game, as it should be.

deiseach

Quote from: nifan on July 07, 2007, 03:13:56 AM
I agree Deiseach - both sides seem to be claiming victory and laughing at the others defeat, when in fact compromise seems to be the name of the game, as it should be.

It's understandable that both sides would not want to admit that they didn't get what they wanted. They'd both be wrong though ;)

nifan

5times, that is a truly romantic look at the IRA.
For a start, as the report says they where professional and well trained. They had more than a few pitchforks and the odd rusty shotgun in the arsenal as well(pistols, rifles, semtex, RPGs etc). They had decent financial backing, and support from teh likes of Qaddafi.

A few farmers :o

Tonto

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tonto on July 06, 2007, 04:27:26 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 06, 2007, 02:50:43 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 06, 2007, 01:35:27 PM
Some serious double standards on the part of some northern members here:

Gweyltah's posts bring a hail of condemnation and statements of intent to filter out his contributions, while 5Times' wish that the IRA had not shown restraint and confined themselves to "legitimate" targets is ignored.

Well I have to admit, 5Time's comment did sit a little uneasy with me.

But yet you blocked GweylTah.

Just like other posters here.

It's OK to condone IRA violence, but not OK to say that they were defeated. >:(

Disgusting.

f**k me if this thread wasn't bad enough (I haven't even read to the end) we have you throwing in the token "disgusting".   ::)  ::)  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

deiseach

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 07, 2007, 11:24:05 AM
Compromise may be the name of the game but, the IRA were basically a bunch of farmers, brickies, teachers, young and old with poor equipment and poor training. They took on the British Army and although it would be going too far to say they won, they had a moral victory. Large parts of the Six Counties were no go areas for the army, their only means of transport was by helicopter. The army had satellites, listening devices, the most advanced security camera system in the world, helicopters, you name it they had it, they even tried to recruit people from within our own communities, people who had nothing, but still the British ended up around the negotiating table. Not bad for a few farmers, not bad at all.

The problem with that analysis is that the British, for political reasons, never unleashed their full might. Had the British adopted the tactics that the IRA were prone to using - planting bombs in the heart of Nationalist territory, executing anyone suspected of collaborating with the enemy, snipers, no-go areas - then things might have been very different. But British public opinion would never have tolerated its army operating in such a manner, just as it couldn't in less enlightened times in the 1920's.