GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 19, 2015, 01:43:53 PM
Quote from: Pascal Brennan on September 22, 2015, 06:11:25 AM
Smoke and mirrors gentlemen. I live in Australia along with a huge diaspora. For years we were able to access the GAA and some other Irish sports through Setanta. Didnt have much build up or analysis but had the Live Games including some National League with repeats and highlights during the week. More than enough to keep the interest alive though. Next came the SKY deal at home and Setanta lost the rights to show games in OZ. GAA reasoned this as they were bringing the games to their people around the World and allowing games to be shown Free-to-Air on Channel 7. This lasted all of one year and included missing starts and finishes of some Games. Channel 7 proceeded to dump coverage alltogether and only access now in the home is GAAGO. Surprise surprise all money now goes to HQ

Sure isn't that better? What do you think the GAA HQ does with the money? By subscribing to GAA Go you are actually helping the GAA as an organisation. How is that a bad thing?
This is the bit I don't get.

There are valid arguments for and against the Sky deal but what do people have against money going to GAA HQ? Where do they think this money goes and where else would they like it to go? Do people have an image of men in suits with notes falling out of their pockets?

"The fat cats in Croke Park" is a phrase commonly read. Who are these overweight felines and what are they doing with our money?

Beffs

Any money that these "fat cats" make for the GAA, gets redistributed down thru the clubs, capital grants etc etc. It's not like Padraig Duffy and Aodhan O'Fearail are heading off to the South of France in a private jet, for a knees up in Monte Carlo, all funded by broadcast rights dosh.

I have mixed feelings about the SKY deal, but surely its better for the GAA to be getting the profits for broadcasting their own games, than the likes of Setanta or Channel 7? I lived in the US for nearly 20 years. I had to drive 20 miles to the nearest Fado Irish bar to watch matches & cough up $20 for the privilege when I got there. GAAGO would have been brilliant for me, if was around then

Esmarelda

Quote from: Beffs on October 19, 2015, 03:13:51 PM
Any money that these "fat cats" make for the GAA, gets redistributed down thru the clubs, capital grants etc etc. It's not like Padraig Duffy and Aodhan O'Fearail are heading off to the South of France in a private jet, for a knees up in Monte Carlo, all funded by broadcast rights dosh.

I have mixed feelings about the SKY deal, but surely its better for the GAA to be getting the profits for broadcasting their own games, than the likes of Setanta or Channel 7? I lived in the US for nearly 20 years. I had to drive 20 miles to the nearest Fado Irish bar to watch matches & cough up $20 for the privilege when I got there. GAAGO would have been brilliant for me, if was around then
In case it wasn't clear, that's what I was getting at.

Kickham csc

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 19, 2015, 03:59:54 PM
Quote from: Beffs on October 19, 2015, 03:13:51 PM

In case it wasn't clear, that's what I was getting at.

Same story for me, except the bar stopped showing the games. Why? because the bar paid setanta 200k for the rights to show the games, for setanta to turn up and take a "gate" at the door!!!!!

The Gaa should give SKY / Fox sports the full international rights.... then watch the sport grow

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 19, 2015, 02:04:36 PM

"The fat cats in Croke Park" is a phrase commonly read. Who are these overweight felines and what are they doing with our money?

Grinds my gears, that. It always comes from people who haven't a clue how the GAA works, but they're quick to come out with the typical Irish begrudgery about any person or organization that might actually be doing something positive.

thejuice

Bumping this up again as this season is winding down.

Any indication of a growing interest in GAA within Britain as we were told was the main purpose of this little venture. I live in the UK and I can't see any evidence myself but I havent looked under every rock and behind every door.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

trileacman

I was heavily against this move but I must say it's an absolute pleasure to avoid the shite talk of Ger Canning, Pat Spillane and Brolly. f**k it actually makes my day to hear some positive contributions at half-time.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BennyHarp

Quote from: thejuice on August 29, 2016, 09:31:45 PM

Any indication of a growing interest in GAA within Britain as we were told was the main purpose of this little venture. I live in the UK and I can't see any evidence myself but I havent looked under every rock and behind every door.

A possible positive side effect of it forcing RTE to up their game hasn't materialised either.
That was never a square ball!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 29, 2016, 10:35:56 PM

A possible positive side effect of it forcing RTE to up their game hasn't materialised either.

Yes same OLD sorry faces with the same themes. Presenters are even getting worse. Used to like Lyster, but he's as bad as the rest.

Jinxy

We're not being bombarded with reports of the British 'reaction' on Twitter anymore either.
"Cor blimey, it's like a cross between quidditch and volleyball guv'nor! (Fackin paddies)."
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: trileacman on August 29, 2016, 10:18:33 PM
it's an absolute pleasure to avoid the shite talk of Ger Canning, Pat Spillane and Brolly. f**k it actually makes my day to hear some positive contributions at half-time.
+1.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

A change from Ger Canning might be welcome,  but how much better was Sky than TV3?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

glens73

https://switcher.ie/blog/broadband-tv-home-phone/sky-launch-sky-sports-mix-free-for-all-sky-tv-customers/

If you're a sky customer you can watch the hurling final for free via this (and I would think the football final too)

vallankumous

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 23, 2015, 08:04:08 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 19, 2015, 02:04:36 PM

Grinds my gears, that. It always comes from people who haven't a clue how the GAA works, but they're quick to come out with the typical Irish begrudgery about any person or organization that might actually be doing something positive.

Big problems with this attitude in Ireland.

You have the 'they're fat cats' view and the 'they're begrudgers' view.
It seems these are the only two options. You can't have a rational debate or raise important questions without being boxed into one of these categories.

Applesisapples

Sky has been my default platform for both hurling and football this year. As I have said before you get a commentator and analyst that actually call what is happening and without the verbal diarrhoea you get from Canning and Morrissey as they attempt to be poor mens Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh. The half time analysis is pretty good too.