Autism in adults

Started by AustinPowers, November 18, 2023, 02:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

I was doing a bit of research recently about  this , particularly since the likes of James McClean  spoke of his own autism diagnosis.

Im sure we all have  our own traits, habits, ways of  communicating,  doing things etc,  and if you look at the  autistic symptoms listed in the articles, you could probably make a case  for a lot of  people being on the spectrum (although that might not mean they are)

https://www.additudemag.com/autism-spectrum-disorder-in-adults/

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/autism/signs/adults/

Anyway, I just  thought I'd start the ball  rolling.

Maybe you've had your own diagnosis, in childhood or adulthood, or a family  member has.  Maybe you   think you, or someone you know,  might be  on the spectrum.

Feel free to share your experiences.

burdizzo

I never, ever, thought about this - basically I assumed everyone was normal, apart from the real nutters - until my wife did a Masters some way related, and it seems nearly everyone is on the 'spectrum' one way or another. Even her! (But not me, of course!) Just from my own circle, and being told by the missus who is, and who isn't, it seems the autistics are generally more intelligent, fastidious, don't really like being around people, find it hard to hold onto relationships (except w/ other autists), and commonly change jobs a fair bit. Also, very sensory, so might be well into music, or similar. Never really seem to be into team sports, either as a participant or spectator, so I guess there'll be hardly any on this board!

quit yo jibbajabba

Be fairly sure I'm on the spectrum to a degree and after reading the nhs link pretty much all to an extent lol. Wife has some experience in this field and agreed. But same time not a major issue.

Got the young boy checked while back as he still school age but no he's fine. Just a cheeky wee fcuker then is my conclusion lolol

Think for me I don't really worry as even if I had it what really could you do, other than being more aware etc.

Tony Baloney

A good few of the scientists in work would definitely be on the spectrum. Very intelligent and obviously high functioning but would also be considered "a bit odd" in old terminology. It's called a spectrum for a reason.

marty34

I'd say everyone, to a greater or lesser extent, is on the spectrum.

AustinPowers

What's the deal  with an autism diagnosis  in adulthood then?   Does it change  things for the person?  For the better.... or the worse? Is it liberating in a  sense or  a burden to declare it?

Would it  have implications regarding  employment/employers or the workplace , for example?

Main Street

An autism diagnosis in itself does not define the experience of autism,  depends where on the autism spectrum it is -  from mild to wild. Generally adult diagnosis is at the lowest level. if it were more serious in all probability it would have been noted earlier, would have had more effect on the person
Why would a diagnosis  change anything for the adult?   none at all but perhaps just an explanation for certain traits.