Commonwealth Games

Started by Eamonnca1, August 02, 2022, 11:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: marty34 on August 07, 2022, 11:01:28 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on August 07, 2022, 10:52:35 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 07, 2022, 10:24:36 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 07, 2022, 10:02:32 PM
Some gold haul from the boxers. They're doing something right. Pity Gallagher didn't get the chance to show his talent.

Why did the lads not fight him?
The other finalist did not make the weight this morning, not sure about the semifinal opponent.

Ok, thanks.

You'd think making the weight shouldn't be a problem if he fought a day or two before.

Probably harder to keep the weight down for the duration of a tournament.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

marty34

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 07, 2022, 11:08:11 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 07, 2022, 11:01:28 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on August 07, 2022, 10:52:35 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 07, 2022, 10:24:36 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 07, 2022, 10:02:32 PM
Some gold haul from the boxers. They're doing something right. Pity Gallagher didn't get the chance to show his talent.

Why did the lads not fight him?
The other finalist did not make the weight this morning, not sure about the semifinal opponent.

Ok, thanks.

You'd think making the weight shouldn't be a problem if he fought a day or two before.

Probably harder to keep the weight down for the duration of a tournament.

Fair enough but all lads in the same boat.

Plus you'd think they'd be experienced enough at this stage of the game.

Norf Tyrone

His opponent was medically unfit so was not allowed to compete.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Evil Genius

Burn her, she's a witch...

P.S. She's holding it up, not just happened to be standing in front of it.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

quit yo jibbajabba

First post in over 3 months.....

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Honestly I'm astounded at the croppies on here, and a lot of lads who spend their time slagging off SDLP. Gobsmacked

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 08, 2022, 08:22:08 AM
Honestly I'm astounded at the croppies on here, and a lot of lads who spend their time slagging off SDLP. Gobsmacked

Please just admit that's why you have this post?  You get annoyed because people give off about SDLP taking seats in London? They aint the same and not even close...

Deal with each issues for what it is, there is no crossover.. Sports people don't give a flying f**k, they are only there for the sport, that may be difficult for you to understand but it is...

Photo's of flegs must really get on peoples tits
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2022, 12:51:27 AM
Burn her, she's a witch...

P.S. She's holding it up, not just happened to be standing in front of it.

I'll need to get this printed out for her Da  ;D

and while I'm at it, I'll explain the history of this discredited, defunct flag..

Thanks EG.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 08, 2022, 08:53:54 AM

Please just admit that's why you have this post?  You get annoyed because people give off about SDLP taking seats in London? They aint the same and not even close...

Deal with each issues for what it is, there is no crossover.. Sports people don't give a flying f**k, they are only there for the sport, that may be difficult for you to understand but it is...

It's absolutely 2 cheeks of the same arse, it's the most un Irish thing you can do, head off to a games celebrating servitude and slavery under the banner of the crown . There are loads of other competitions, this one is poor standard anyhow . As you said maybe a chance for people that aren't up to world standard to wrap a flag around them

general_lee

Hound

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 08, 2022, 09:59:19 AM

It's absolutely 2 cheeks of the same arse, it's the most un Irish thing you can do, head off to a games celebrating servitude and slavery under the banner of the crown . There are loads of other competitions, this one is poor standard anyhow . As you said maybe a chance for people that aren't up to world standard to wrap a flag around them
Are the Aussies, Canadians, Kenyans, Sri Lankas, etc etc also celebrating servitude and slavery under the banner of the crown, or is it just the Irish?

Milltown Row2

As I said before you'll never understand the effort that these athletes go to, and for you to be all political about it is a bit childish

Again you seem hung up on flegs and politics and bringing sport into it to suit your argument or position.

Sport is sport, this championship is a big deal in the sporting calendar ... You said there are loads of competitions? Olympic, World, European and Commonwealth... There are various competitions but they don't have the collective atmosphere of a 'Games' 

There is no championships that are held really on a personal level, its about representation, the same competitors in gymnastics will be representing Ireland in November at the World championships
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Hound on August 08, 2022, 10:20:16 AM

Are the Aussies, Canadians, Kenyans, Sri Lankas, etc etc also celebrating servitude and slavery under the banner of the crown, or is it just the Irish?

Yes.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 08, 2022, 10:22:35 AM

As I said before you'll never understand the effort that these athletes go to, and for you to be all political about it is a bit childish

Again you seem hung up on flegs and politics and bringing sport into it to suit your argument or position.

Sport is sport, this championship is a big deal in the sporting calendar ... You said there are loads of competitions? Olympic, World, European and Commonwealth... There are various competitions but they don't have the collective atmosphere of a 'Games' 

There is no championships that are held really on a personal level, its about representation, the same competitors in gymnastics will be representing Ireland in November at the World championships

You will be up at Windsor park next

Evil Genius

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 08, 2022, 06:54:00 AM
First post in over 3 months.....
So you missed me enough to check?

Awwww, that's nice.  :-*

Anyhow, on a more serious note, here is what Ulster Boxing's high performance head coach John Conlan said earlier:

"We kind of get [young boxers] in there early and infect them with the seed of the Olympic Games.

"We sow the seed that the Olympic Games is the major tournament, and we say that this [the Commonwealth Games] is the best practice because it's a multi-sport event, and it kind of opens their eyes to what it's all about and gives them a little taste for it."

"[The boxers] committed completely to the training programme and under the big lights they performed."

"I think it says we're on the right track. We've great support from Antrim and Ulster Councils, and from the clubs. We've got really good youth and junior programmes and a coach development pathway for which Damian Kennedy is a prime example.

"This was Damian's first competition and he was absolutely phenomenal."

But, but, but, splutter, doesn't he know there's a crown on thon fleg?

If Patrick Pearse were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave, so he would.

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"