East Belfast GAA

Started by nearlymad, June 02, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2022, 11:30:43 AM
Quote from: tiempo on August 05, 2022, 11:12:49 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2022, 10:55:12 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on August 05, 2022, 10:42:46 AM
There is a concerted effort by him and his handlers to go after the GAA since the OO were caught out displaying their vile hatred towards the nationalist community.

And we shouldn't be giving him any fuel to light the fires... The police thing should have not been a issue but its created something to beat the GAA local with, having 2 St Michaels on the list of teams isnt unusual and didn't need to be highlighted, at the same time they didn't need to make a fuss out of it..

Hopefully lessons learned and move on from it

Please tell me there isn't a whiff of even 1% of the 'blame' being apportioned to CNB

So you're running a 7s competition with entries from St Endas (Ballyboden), St Endas (Omagh) and St Endas (Glengormley), surely its prudent for each of the Endas and the teams playing against them to know which is which?

I've ran or been involved in multiple competitions, I've never seen the need for it, if you are involved in GAA and don't know the difference between the teams you mentioned then I question your background in GAA...

I didnt blame anyone, I said we don't help ourselves when we leave ourselves open for people to have a pop at our association.

You suggested it didn't need to be highlighted, the difference between the teams is geography, if they all entered a competition together it would be prudent to name them appropriately so as to avoid confusion, the CNB officers clearly felt this in relation to having more than one St Michaels, naming the team correctly is not opening ourselves up, the fault for this storm in a teacup lies squarely with the PSNI and their apologists

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2022, 11:35:01 AM
I really think that was completely innocent.

There is a large effort to tarnish the Gaa which from what I can see is just an agenda to detract from the orange order and to normalise it saying the other side do this too.

The people who do this have nothing positive to offer society and thrive on division. They should not be given a voice in the media.

I agree, and these people will look at anything we do and put it down, I'm just saying don't give them a reason. People would have know which team was which and who'd have cared they are part of the GAA and that is that..

They will struggle to get any invitation to tournaments going forward because realistically who'd have the hassle? What they might end up doing is entering a league, do the Guards play in a league?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardtole

I agree 100% Tommy. If you were running an underage tournament and you had 2 teams, usually they would be A and B.

These tournaments are usually on multiple pitches, so it's common sense to have st johns drumnaquoile or St John's belfast identified.

It was a mountain made out of a molehill and to have the likes of Sean Kelly mep, ex gaa president, jumping in with 2 feet before he was made aware of the facts was even more sickening.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tiempo on August 05, 2022, 11:38:15 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2022, 11:30:43 AM
Quote from: tiempo on August 05, 2022, 11:12:49 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2022, 10:55:12 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on August 05, 2022, 10:42:46 AM
There is a concerted effort by him and his handlers to go after the GAA since the OO were caught out displaying their vile hatred towards the nationalist community.

And we shouldn't be giving him any fuel to light the fires... The police thing should have not been a issue but its created something to beat the GAA local with, having 2 St Michaels on the list of teams isnt unusual and didn't need to be highlighted, at the same time they didn't need to make a fuss out of it..

Hopefully lessons learned and move on from it

Please tell me there isn't a whiff of even 1% of the 'blame' being apportioned to CNB

So you're running a 7s competition with entries from St Endas (Ballyboden), St Endas (Omagh) and St Endas (Glengormley), surely its prudent for each of the Endas and the teams playing against them to know which is which?

I've ran or been involved in multiple competitions, I've never seen the need for it, if you are involved in GAA and don't know the difference between the teams you mentioned then I question your background in GAA...

I didnt blame anyone, I said we don't help ourselves when we leave ourselves open for people to have a pop at our association.

You suggested it didn't need to be highlighted, the difference between the teams is geography, if they all entered a competition together it would be prudent to name them appropriately so as to avoid confusion, the CNB officers clearly felt this in relation to having more than one St Michaels, naming the team correctly is not opening ourselves up, the fault for this storm in a teacup lies squarely with the PSNI and their apologists

I'm not sure where the PSNI team would be labeled geography wise seeing as they are all over the 6 counties... St Michaels Belfast? I'm not sure, I didn't even know till this came up that they changed their name.  I suggested it didn't need highlighted because I've never highlighted such things before when organising tournaments..

So the question would be, if CNB had the chance to do it again would they have named them any different ?.

Those that see the GAA as the IRA at play will never be turned in fairness, the hate in social media is tragic, that would if I was young enough be a good reason to get out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ardtole on August 05, 2022, 11:42:56 AM
I agree 100% Tommy. If you were running an underage tournament and you had 2 teams, usually they would be A and B.

These tournaments are usually on multiple pitches, so it's common sense to have st johns drumnaquoile or St John's belfast identified.

It was a mountain made out of a molehill and to have the likes of Sean Kelly mep, ex gaa president, jumping in with 2 feet before he was made aware of the facts was even more sickening.

Yes I agree if they were in the the same group possibly but if you know teams, and in this case it wouldn't have needed anything other than St Michaels Belfast and St Michaels Omah or whatever, you'd have known full well you were playing the peelers  ;)

imtommygunn

Not giving a chance would be something like carefully naming grounds. You can't second guess every innocent thing you do. It wasn't well handled but it wasn't malicious.

tiempo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2022, 11:48:06 AM
I'm not sure where the PSNI team would be labeled geography wise seeing as they are all over the 6 counties

Isn't the answer painfully self-evident... 'St Michaels PSNI' - which correctly differentiates them from the other St Michaels taking part and provides clarity

Its a crying shame here that CNB were progressive enough to invite them, and progressive enough to list them clearly and correctly, and its being construed in some way that they shouldn't have named them accordingly and with the benefit of hindsight they wouldn't have

marty34

There is a large effort to tarnish the Gaa which from what I can see is just an agenda to detract from the orange order and to normalise it saying the other side do this too.

The people who do this have nothing positive to offer society and thrive on division. They should not be given a voice in the media.

I said it before.

There's a concerted effort against anything Irish in general society, all driven by Bryson and his cohorts.

Bryson picks a topic and then there's a pile on by the DUP and TUV etc. A pattern.

Bryson is dictating and driving the agenda.

Eg. he's gone after nationalist parties, then academics, business people, Irish language and now, it's the GAA.

This is a campaign.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2022, 12:03:14 PM
Not giving a chance would be something like carefully naming grounds. You can't second guess every innocent thing you do. It wasn't well handled but it wasn't malicious.

There just might be issues with some ground names but there is no possible insult in describing a team by its own name.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Taylor

Quote from: marty34 on August 05, 2022, 12:29:38 PM

I said it before.

There's a concerted effort against anything Irish in general society, all driven by Bryson and his cohorts.

Bryson picks a topic and then there's a pile on by the DUP and TUV etc. A pattern.

Bryson is dictating and driving the agenda.

Eg. he's gone after nationalist parties, then academics, business people, Irish language and now, it's the GAA.

This is a campaign.

But it is the people who disagree with him that are giving him the oxygen he needs to survive and stay relevant.

He thrives on the attention which leads to newspaper columns/TV appearances etc

Anyone who interacts with him on Twitter have to take responsibility for part of this

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tiempo on August 05, 2022, 12:05:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2022, 11:48:06 AM
I'm not sure where the PSNI team would be labeled geography wise seeing as they are all over the 6 counties

Isn't the answer painfully self-evident... 'St Michaels PSNI' - which correctly differentiates them from the other St Michaels taking part and provides clarity

Its a crying shame here that CNB were progressive enough to invite them, and progressive enough to list them clearly and correctly, and its being construed in some way that they shouldn't have named them accordingly and with the benefit of hindsight they wouldn't have

Again I lay no blame at CNB at all, I'm looking at the likes of Jamie and the Newsletter BT also for stirring up shit when its not there. All I said was we can take away that opportunity and have our association not looked at like the OO..

Bad headlines makes better news, I'm flat out involved with gaa for best part of 40 years, it's been my life and will continue to be, its annoying that people will stick the boot in when they can.

sam03/05

The GAA should give this club millions, purchase them a ground and let them grow

ardtole

Quote from: sam03/05 on August 06, 2022, 08:48:51 AM
The GAA should give this club millions, purchase them a ground and let them grow

Why??
Surely their neighbours Bredagh would be equally as deserving of financial backing to secure their own club grounds. East Belfast are no more inclusive than any other gaa club.

Kidder81

Quote from: ardtole on August 06, 2022, 09:19:30 AM

Why??
Surely their neighbours Bredagh would be equally as deserving of financial backing to secure their own club grounds. East Belfast are no more inclusive than any other gaa club.

100%

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: ardtole on August 06, 2022, 09:19:30 AM

Why??

For the same reason they backwd the likes of Cuala. Big untapped catchment area and important symbolism