Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on January 28, 2013, 04:37:01 PM
Quote from: stibhan on January 28, 2013, 12:28:14 PM
Of course Sinn Féin represent two different things on each side of the border - ever since they decided to stand for elections and take their seats in both jurisdictions, they have had to formulate different strategies for each state because of the peculiar situation in which the north and south found themselves in. The fact that modern provisional Sinn Féin was founded in Belfast, and that the Official IRA from whom they split controlled major state media and broadcast institutions in the 1970's South had a large impact on their public and political image.

That is outwith the fact that they already had a solid nationalist base in the north as opposed to a more grass-roots, underground base in the south. The reality is that if you aren't actively campaigning for election and representation in a state, and instead are repudiating the means of representation, then unless there is a significant social factor to foster solidarity with your voters (Catholics being second class citizens in the north) you will find it difficult to retain interest.

Despite these differences, they still retain a more coherent political strategy in terms of the north than any other party you'd care to name in the south.

As a North of Ireland party I'd expect SF to have some sort of policy towards the North. They are as out of place in the politics of The Republic as the British Conservative Party or French Gaulists.
At first i thought you were a WUM. But your partionist insulting rubbish does not enhance debate. I would be as critical of SF as anyone but to say that they are out of place in southern politics is just pure nonsense, they have evry right as Irish people to stand for election and promote thier policies. You can challenge their politics and policies but you can't deny them thier right to seek support for them at the ballot box. Yes Nally and othe Sinn Fein people can be hypocritical, but show me a politician who isn't.

Applesisapples

Quote from: muppet on January 28, 2013, 05:15:48 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 28, 2013, 05:06:24 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 28, 2013, 04:47:51 PM
'Dig up'? You are having a laugh. This is SF hypocrisy in a nutshell. You attack me for misspelling his name. SF however will not condemn those who shot him dead. Which do you think is more damaging? There are many others that need to be dug up as well but SF would rather we forgot about them.
I'm not having a laugh at all. Just making a nod to the fact that when SF are spoken about in the 26 counties, at least one of the (seemingly) only two victims of the troubles will inevitably be dug up, and nine times out of ten, one of them will not even have their name spelt correctly by those that claim to care so much. As for it not being condemned, to quote Martin McGuinness "I unreservedly condemned the murder of Jerry McCabe."

Quote from: muppet on January 28, 2013, 04:47:51 PM
There are many others that need to be dug up as well but SF would rather we forgot about them.
Hypocritical, you say? The only time anyone in the south wants to dig up a few victims, is where SF are concerned. Could many of the people who gleefully dig up the usual two names, also name one person killed in the Dublin/Monaghan bombs? Nah. They're not interested enough. I'm sure when Queen Lizzy came over you weren't talking then about the need for victims names to be dug up. 'The past is the past' you'd have been saying.

Brits killing Irish is hideous, but still not as bad as people pretending to fight for Ireland killing Irish people.
Nally hasn't a monoply on Hypocrisy. Unionists conveniently forget that they used violence and murder to subvert the wishes of the majority in Ireland and not just in 1920 either they are still doing it. Non of the political paries in the South can claim to have clean hands, the only difference is that SF have left their campaign behind more recently than the other parties, that said it was 20 years ago.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 29, 2013, 09:48:03 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 29, 2013, 09:25:44 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 28, 2013, 03:39:32 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 28, 2013, 03:18:19 PM
Would they be implementing Tory cuts as part of a British administration then?

Well last I checked the Good Friday Agreement was being implemented alright, and I'm unaware of Ireland having been re-united overnight. As I mentioned earlier, the administration you speak of has no fiscal sovereignty.
So Sinn Fein have settled for British Rule then?
I remember people discussing this very question alright. Back in 1998.

Given that you are someone who believes Marian Price is not being interned but rather is being "illegally detained"  (???), and that you seem to believe these are somehow different, then I'll just let you believe whatever your logic tells you, if it makes you happy.
I didn't say she was illegally detained, what I did say was that if she is then the courts are the place to find a remedy.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 29, 2013, 10:03:53 AM

Well last I checked the Good Friday Agreement was being implemented alright, and I'm unaware of Ireland having been re-united overnight. As I mentioned earlier, the administration you speak of has no fiscal sovereignty.

Given that you are someone who believes Marian Price is not being interned but rather is being "illegally detained"  (???), and that you seem to believe these are somehow different, then I'll just let you believe whatever your logic tells you, if it makes you happy.
I didn't say she was illegally detained, what I did say was that if she is then the courts are the place to find a remedy.

Really?
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 04, 2012, 05:15:15 PM
Guys, call it what you like it may be , and I say may be an illegal detention but internment it ain't.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 29, 2013, 10:09:03 AM

Really?
Guys, call it what you like it may be , and I say may be an illegal detention but internment it ain't.
I said may, which does not in any way imply that I think it is as I said for the courts to decide.

LeoMc

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 29, 2013, 09:42:01 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on January 29, 2013, 09:00:35 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 25, 2013, 03:13:57 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 24, 2013, 03:14:19 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 24, 2013, 02:52:34 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on January 23, 2013, 11:53:05 PM
Disappointed in Alex Maskey who didn't do Sinn Fein any favours trying to sell a UI to unionists. Mind you Arlene was equally as clueless. Didn't know if she was coming or going but that the DUP all over.
I have to agree with you there. If this poll is about starting a debate then fine. But as things stand there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of a majority of nationalists let alone an overall majority voting for a united Ireland. Before that happens we need to know what this unified state is going to look like. Listen to Conal McDevitt of the SDLP, he keeps reiterating that the debate needs to take place among nationalist first and formost.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that you are Conal McDevitt.
And I know who you are! #keep her lit!

I would be disappointed if you were right.

Fear not, though I am from the same part of the world. Where the sun always shines!

I had heard that there was more than one Republican in Carmen alright.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 29, 2013, 11:45:07 AM

Really?
I said may, which does not in any way imply that I think it is as I said for the courts to decide.

So you decided it may be an illegal detention because that's what you don't think it is?! Here, stop digging!! (Would still love to know what you see the difference is between the two btw!)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 29, 2013, 11:53:46 AM

Really?

So you decided it may be an illegal detention because that's what you don't think it is?! Here, stop digging!! (Would still love to know what you see the difference is between the two btw!)
I've explained my views on Price, you don't agree thats your right. To be honest I'm not really bothered about her.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 29, 2013, 11:58:37 AM

Really?

I've explained my views on Price, you don't agree thats your right. To be honest I'm not really bothered about her.
Good man, set down the shovel!! And maybe some day you'll work out what the difference is between internment and illegal detention is!

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 29, 2013, 12:02:34 PM

Really?

Good man, set down the shovel!! And maybe some day you'll work out what the difference is between internment and illegal detention is!
yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 29, 2013, 12:10:04 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 29, 2013, 12:02:34 PM

Really?

yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Agreed! Tired waiting on an answer!

Saffrongael

Denis Donaldson: Ombudsman launches new investigation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21260672

A new investigation has been launched into allegations that police officers may have contributed to the death of republican informer Denis Donaldson.

The Police Ombudsman has overturned a previous decision by his office to close the investigation and declare there was no misconduct by officers.

The senior Sinn Fein official was shot dead in Donegal in April 2006.

He had gone into hiding after police told him the media were preparing to expose his secret life as an informer.

The Real IRA said it was responsible but his family alleged that police officers may have exposed him as an agent and contributed to his death.

Three years ago the Police Ombudsman at the time, Al Hutchinson, said there had been no police misconduct and declared the case closed.

But a BBC Spotlight investigation in October 2011 revealed investigators had not interviewed a special branch officer who Mr Donaldson's family believe may hold vital information about what happened.

For 20 years, senior Sinn Fein member Denis Donaldson led a secret life as an informer for MI5, the RUC and PSNI.

Then in April 2006, he was told by police that the media were about to expose his role as agent and he fled to a remote cottage the family owned in Donegal.

After his murder, Denis Donaldson's family alleged that police officers who knew about his secret role may have exposed him as an agent and contributed to his death.

They were also unaware he had been writing a journal which his family believe could contain clues about who killed him and why.

The current ombudsman, Michael Maguire, confirmed on Wednesday that he has launched a new investigation.

It is understood investigators will seek access to the journal, which was removed by Garda officers investigating the killing, and to interview the special branch officer.

Mr Donaldson was shot at a remote cottage in Glenties in 2006.

He moved out of his Belfast home a few months before his death, and had been living in the run-down cottage which had neither electricity nor running water.

Four months earlier, he had been expelled from Sinn Fein after admitting being a paid British spy for 20 years
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

lawnseed

the murder of a garda officer has yet again shown why its time for gerry to step down as party leader. even this tragic loss of life has been turned into a stick to beat sinn fein with. no matter how firm gerrys footing when attacks this pathetic government and their corruption it turns into farce as 'fianna gael' hark back to gerrys role in the conflict. no matter what the kenny klan do gerry is simply unable to highlight their uselessness. adams needs to stand down now. hes done a great job so far but sinn fein need a new face. with lads like peadar tobin and pierse doherty leading, sinn fein will attract more votes and kenny wont be able to hide from them.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

muppet

Quote from: lawnseed on January 30, 2013, 11:22:50 PM
the murder of a garda officer has yet again shown why its time for gerry to step down as party leader. even this tragic loss of life has been turned into a stick to beat sinn fein with. no matter how firm gerrys footing when attacks this pathetic government and their corruption it turns into farce as 'fianna gael' hark back to gerrys role in the conflict. no matter what the kenny klan do gerry is simply unable to highlight their uselessness. adams needs to stand down now. hes done a great job so far but sinn fein need a new face. with lads like peadar tobin and pierse doherty leading, sinn fein will attract more votes and kenny wont be able to hide from them.

Martin Ferris?
MWWSI 2017

lawnseed

Quote from: muppet on January 30, 2013, 11:26:56 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on January 30, 2013, 11:22:50 PM
the murder of a Garda officer has yet again shown why its time for Gerry to step down as party leader. even this tragic loss of life has been turned into a stick to beat sinn fein with. no matter how firm gerrys footing when attacks this pathetic government and their corruption it turns into farce as 'fianna gael' hark back to gerrys role in the conflict. no matter what the kenny klan do gerry is simply unable to highlight their uselessness. adams needs to stand down now. hes done a great job so far but sinn fein need a new face. with lads like peadar tobin and pierse doherty leading, sinn fein will attract more votes and kenny wont be able to hide from them.

Martin Ferris?
he can go fishing with ger. his daughter was doing quite well havent heard alot about her lately but being a family member isn't a prerequisite for taking over in sinn fein
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once