Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosskarr

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 08, 2015, 07:32:44 PM
Pangur ban is takin the piss lads.....do you really think along standing poster on here like him is going to make a judgement like that on McCorry after one McKenna Cup game....wake up lads.    (Btw if he is serious I'll give him a bollockin myself.)
Thanks- I thought that myself but I'm wondering now as I've looked back on his posts
and he appears not to be a fan of McCorry's.

Line Ball

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on January 08, 2015, 10:30:50 AM
I think il go with Dawson's judgement on this one.
Why anyone would leave so called better players off a panel is just strange, so there must be rational reasons for their selections.
The management team are employed to choose the most suitable players to represent us at U21 level. Sometimes this isn't always the most talented or celebrated.
U21 is a tricky grade and there can be lots of reasons why people don't make county panels.

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 08, 2015, 11:53:00 AM
First post.
Some selections that you have made are laughable ulster man
I'll not name any individuals but that defence is terrible.As brick tamlin  has said I will trust Frank on this one.You must have been one of the lads left out ulster man??

That's what Antrim thought and look at the way he handled that one and where it got them.  I wouldn't be convinced by Dawson's record at county level.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 08, 2015, 06:14:53 PM
Where are we going to play Mooney against Kildare?I would like to see him tried in midfield along with big Turley.Turley can be the defensive midfielder and let Mooney attack.I think he is going to be frightening going forward.I for one can't wait to see him play in the red and black.He is going to make a massive difference to Down football this year.Whats peoples thoughts on the team v Kildare.Here goes
Cunningham
O Hagen
McArdle
Howard
McKernan
Garvey
D Turley
Mooney
P Turley
R Johnstone
Poland
Maginn
O Hare
Johnstone
Laverty

Lads to come in...Madine,Carr,Collins,Devlin,.I would say that I have missed someone big

Kevin McKernan in defence, Mooney at midfield and 5 forwards at 5ft 9 r under in forward line.  Apart from that not bad!!!!!

Smurfy123

Niall Madine could come into that forward line but is he any better than any of the full forward line??
Where else would you play KMC if not in defence?I know he is not a forward and has not the physicality for midfield.Mooney the first name on the teamsheet so he has to start.what would your preferred team be whitegoodman?I agree with you about small forwards

NP 76

I hope Mooney  lives up to all that is expected of the lad. He hasn't had a lot of experience playing at a high level. It will take him a while to adapt to the rigours of senior inter county duty.He is a huge boost to have him back in the red and black but I wouldn't expect him to be the saviour just yet

Smurfy123

Mooney is the real deal lads.NP76 what would your starting team be for the Kildare game?

whitegoodman

We don't know how good or bad Mooney is until he plays a number of games at senior level.  He hasn't played senior football for quite a while and even then he had very few games at club senior level never mind inter county level.

He was an incredible talent at underage level but so was Liam Howlett, Shane Ward and PJ McAlinden.  It doesn't always mean that this will follow through to senior level.  I thinks expectations should be lowered a bit for the sake of the lad himself and he certainly shouldn't be the first man on the team sheet and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't start at all against Kildare and is used sparingly initially.

Smurfy123

Fair point.But from known Caolan he will not be happy just to sit on the bench he will want to start every game.We can't take a man home from Australia to sit on the bench surely not?

NP 76

A lot can change from now to the start of the league with injuries players form and whether the point lads come on board but here goes with a team
Mickey Cunningham
Luke Howard
Aiden Carr
Gerald Collins / Benny Mc Ardle
Darren O hagan
Conor Garvey
Coalan Mooney
Peter Turley
KevinMc Kernan/ Peter Fitzpatrick
Paul Devlin
Conor Maginn
Ryan Johnson
Jerome Johnson
Conor Laverty
Donal o Hare

supersub

Relax yourselves folks, no need for the extra expectation and pressure on Caolan. Yes he is a great talent but one player doesn't make a team. No doubt he has the potential to have a big impact for club and county but it will definitely take him time to adjust and get used to inter county level gaelic football. Has anyone seen him play for UUJ or Rostrevor U21s out of interest? Let's not get too down if he doesn't score 2-5 from midfield against Kildare! Give the lad time to form relationships with those round him on the field first.

speculative

Most of these teams feature D O'Hare, am I the only one that thinks he needs to prove his worth this year after 2 mediocre years in a Down jersey?

Aristo 60

Quote from: NP 76 on January 08, 2015, 10:49:25 PM
A lot can change from now to the start of the league with injuries players form and whether the point lads come on board but here goes with a team
Mickey Cunningham
Luke Howard
Aiden Carr
Darren O hagan
Conor Garvey
Coalan Mooney
Peter Turley
Paul Devlin
Conor Maginn
Ryan Johnson
Jerome Johnson
Conor Laverty
Donal o Hare

4/6 forwards from the one club would be some sort of record I suspect. I can't see it happening. Nor would I want it to.

whitegoodman

Quote from: speculative on January 09, 2015, 04:02:49 PM
Most of these teams feature D O'Hare, am I the only one that thinks he needs to prove his worth this year after 2 mediocre years in a Down jersey?

Donal has the potential to be our best inside forward but on current form I would have him behind Laverty, jerome and mcgarry for a corner forward spot.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Aristo 60 on January 09, 2015, 04:56:18 PM
Quote from: NP 76 on January 08, 2015, 10:49:25 PM
Mickey Cunningham
Luke Howard
Aiden Carr
Darren O hagan
Conor Garvey
Coalan Mooney
Peter Turley
Paul Devlin
Conor Maginn
Ryan Johnson
Jerome Johnson
Conor Laverty
Donal o Hare

4/6 forwards from the one club would be some sort of record I suspect. I can't see it happening. Nor would I want it too.

I'd say the two Johnstons and Laverty will start and it will be between Devlin and Poland for another position.

I'd be more concerned with Aidan Carr at FB, Mooney at WHB and maginn starting......

Smurfy123

Who can we call into the forward line that has not been mentioned?Madine might be an option but I felt he was badly exposed in last years championship.He played at 12 in the reply in Newry and was like a headless chicken.Donals form will hopefully come back soon.Is McConville an option to play at full forward?He has the height that we need in there