Gambling - Niall McNamee's and John Hartson's troubles

Started by theticklemister, January 08, 2015, 11:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

That is why I included willpower in my post along with support

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on January 09, 2015, 06:45:53 PM
Same could be said of smoking,alcohol etc.Sadly there will always be those unfortunates with addictive personalities

MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Gambling is a massive problem in schools for lads 13-18. They almost see it as the norm.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

T Fearon

So what is everyone proposing? Highly regulated industries such as tobacco and alcohol has not reduced addictions.Similarly nothing will reduce gambling addictions and the only way to address it is for those afflicted recognise the problem and seek help.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on January 10, 2015, 07:47:48 AM
So what is everyone proposing? Highly regulated industries such as tobacco and alcohol has not reduced addictions.Similarly nothing will reduce gambling addictions and the only way to address it is for those afflicted recognise the problem and seek help.
Tony

Gambling was deregulated in the UK in 2007.
An Ofcom report in 2013 found that gambling ads had increased by 600% as a result of deregulation.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/tv-research/Trends_in_Ad_Activity_Gambling.pdf

Ads like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZqiaVIDcoI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kou1V98kxlw

behfreesixfive

Tobacco advertising is banned. It is not allowed to advertised cheap beer on TV when those most likely to be alcoholics are watching.
Gambling is supposed to be self regulating but it doesn't work. Many people can enjoy a bet without becoming addicted but an important minority can't and for those people it's a parasitical industry (plus it doesn't even pay tax.)

Women are much more honest about the fallout from gambling addictions
http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion/anyone-experience-with-gambling-addiction-t399969.html#p4188169

the wider society pays the price
re-regulation is inevitable. 

T Fearon

Will re regulating gambling solve the problem of addiction? Has advertising bans reduced the number of alcoholics or smokers? I don't think so.

Addiction is a personality trait and requires appropriate medical/social services/therapeutic intervention.It has no correlation to advertising or statutory regulation.

Mickey Linden

Tony I can't believe your attitude on this. Alright u gamble and it's not a problem for u. Fair play. No one loves a bet more than me though thankfully I'm lucky enough in the respect that I know where to draw the line and don't gamble more than I can afford. However ill decides comment about young players in his club having to attend meetings due to the seriousness of their problems is typical up and down the country. With the advent of internet gambling and the plethora of advertising gambling has became trendy amongst young people in our country. Paddypower has become a household name. It's a far cry from the smokey shops with blacked out windows we had 20 years ago. Clearly gambling is causing more and more problems for our young people. We can't just stick our heads in the sand and say that's it's not a problem for me. We must help our youth wether it be through a ban on advertising, new legislation or increased education. An addiction is an illness. Though your not addicted. Well done tony. Many congratulations

Mikhail Prokhorov

'gambling' is everywhere in life, business,relationships,education,sports etc.

you dont succeed at anything in life if you dont work at it and in these cases the work was never put in so failure was always going to occur.

risk is a part of all this but some people treat the bookies as a 'pastime', which i find incredible because the industry itself takes this gambling very seriously and as a result are very successful and profitable business'.

Mickey Linden

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on January 10, 2015, 10:30:02 AM
'gambling' is everywhere in life, business,relationships,education,sports etc.

you dont succeed at anything in life if you dont work at it and in these cases the work was never put in so failure was always going to occur.

risk is a part of all this but some people treat the bookies as a 'pastime', which i find incredible because the industry itself takes this gambling very seriously and as a result are very successful and profitable business'.

I think the point of this thread is the destruction gambling causes amongst the youth of Ireland today. Not sure what ur point is that everything in life is a gamble.

rrhf

Tony I don't want to trivialise your point of view, I have great problems with your views that we don't need regulation as I have been saying for years that online gambling will cause more problems than any drinking has done.  This will cost us the earth.  I'd say you have your own compulsive addiction to publicity which over the years has got you into potential great   problems with shadowy figures etc. And you couldn't help yourself..

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on January 10, 2015, 09:46:58 AM
Will re regulating gambling solve the problem of addiction? Has advertising bans reduced the number of alcoholics or smokers? I don't think so.

Addiction is a personality trait and requires appropriate medical/social services/therapeutic intervention.It has no correlation to advertising or statutory regulation.
No correlation? Throw up some research to prove it. It sounds like horseshit.

macdanger2

Have the numbers of smokers not reduced over the last 30 years?

muppet

Quote from: rrhf on January 10, 2015, 10:52:35 AM
Tony I don't want to trivialise your point of view, I have great problems with your views that we don't need regulation as I have been saying for years that online gambling will cause more problems than any drinking has done.  This will cost us the earth.  I'd say you have your own compulsive addiction to publicity which over the years has got you into potential great   problems with shadowy figures etc. And you couldn't help yourself..

Methinks he doth protest to much.

He has said that 'rarely a day' would pass without him making a bet.

If we take him at this word that his highest bet was £10 AND and that he never bet more than a single bet on a given day, we could assume something along the following: say 300 days a year, betting an average of £5, would be betting £1,500 a year.

To some people that would be fine, to others that would be £3,000 of gross earning, or probably 10% of the average industrial wage.

And that is assuming that there is no element of denial there. By denial I mean the way most of us say we have 15 units of alcohol per week when asked.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 10, 2015, 11:04:48 AM
Have the numbers of smokers not reduced over the last 30 years?
Alcohol access is limited in Muslim countries, who as a consequence tend to have very few alcoholics. I don't see Tony's point.