Local people local produce.

Started by redhugh, November 05, 2009, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhugh

While sitting last night with a few mates,we got chatting about buying local produce and how it contributes to the local economy.The general consensus seemed to be that we would rather buy from the farmer up the road than from some of the big chain supermarkets.When we went further into it ,it came up that this is sometimes easier said than done.
I've just finnished a book by Stephen Clarke called Talk to the snail, it's a light hearted look at French society and their attitudes and policies. He makes the point that France has more holidays per year than other European countries - 6 weeks.The obvious question here is how can the French economy sustain 6 weeks off work for their workers.He makes the point that on a bank holiday weekend a French family will jump in their French made car,fill it with French petrol,drive to the French countryside or coast and spend their money on French produce being sold in French restaurants.The French are passionate about their own produce and by and large will go to great lengths to purchase locally thus contributing to their own economy.We on the other hand don't seem to be too bothered where our food comes from as long as it is cheap. For a country with such strong agricultural ties , where has it all gone wrong for us and how can we make it better?

Hereiam

The fact is that over here it is cheaper to import goods than to produce our own and exporting will generate more revenue for the government than its own people just using these goods. France are on the ball, they produce most of their own energy through nuclear whereas we as an island depend on the majority of or energy from foreign countries that is why I fear for this Island if the so called energy crisis hits, we will be screwed. The Irish government is not really thinkin to far ahead or itself which is unfortunate.

Canalman

Agree to a degree hereiam. Personally think that the racketeering/profiteering  that styled itself as "The Farmers' Market" some years ago turned people off the concept of local produce.

Still though will always try and buy the local Strawberries/Potatos from the side of the road during the Summer.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Canalman on November 05, 2009, 11:32:50 AM
Agree to a degree hereiam. Personally think that the racketeering/profiteering  that styled itself as "The Farmers' Market" some years ago turned people off the concept of local produce.

Still though will always try and buy the local Strawberries/Potatos from the side of the road during the Summer.
Same. Local doesn't mean better. Most local farmers concentrate of quantity rather than quality.

I know a man who retired from his job as a DofA inspector a few years ago and he told me he hasn't eaten chicken in years after what he has seen on the job. Small farmers on the continent are supplying to local farmers markets and shops and therefore don't need to farm intensively and introduce the shoddy practices that follow (pumping animals full of antibiotics, cheap fodder etc.). I think with subsidies etc. we don't have the same artisanal (is that a word?) practices that they have on the contient.

Billys Boots

QuoteThe French are passionate about their own produce.

I spend quite a bit of time in France and this is correct.  This past summer, the French resorts (normally packed with Dutch and English tourists) were as full as ever, except it was French domestic tourists.  They tended not to eat out as much as the others, but they spent their money in the local markets/supermarkets, and the local economy (in the Vendée anyway) didn't get the massive hit it was expecting in relation to summer tourism. 

Last year, the French restaurant sector lobbied the Government to reduce VAT (TVA locally), which it did from 17.5% to 5% for restaurant list prices.  And do you know what the lunatic restaurant-owners did - they passed the savings on to their customers.  Could you see that happening in Ireland's tourism sector??
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hereiam on November 05, 2009, 11:12:43 AM
The fact is that over here it is cheaper to import goods than to produce our own and exporting will generate more revenue for the government than its own people just using these goods. France are on the ball, they produce most of their own energy through nuclear whereas we as an island depend on the majority of or energy from foreign countries that is why I fear for this Island if the so called energy crisis hits, we will be screwed. The Irish government is not really thinkin to far ahead or itself which is unfortunate.

great post and topic Redhugh

its cheaper in part due to the EU (that we were voting yes to) has given with one hand (roads and infrastructure grants) and taken away with the other (agriculture and fishing).

Farmers are effectively not allowed to farm their own land.Cant get too much milk and we export our best Grade A beef, keeping the inferior quality for common consumption.

But what Billy is saying is also true - out biggest problem was the me fein factor - too much greed - and still yet some in the construction industry are still living in cuckoo land (should hear the price an elecrician gave me FFS !!!)
I hope this current climate and downturn changes peoples minds and improves services/reduces costs again as the country was gone from cead mile failte to your bill is cead mile punts sir !

lynchbhoy

btw I am hearing that the Gov are looking to invest in tidal/wave/wind electricity generation to keep ourselves self sustained, creat implementation and then maintenance jobs plus maybe then sell Electricity back to EU.
I'd be happy enough with a nuclear power plant of two as well !

Gnevin

Its always seems to me when you buy local you get the crap as they've sent all the good stuff to the supermarket or overseas
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Gnevin on November 05, 2009, 02:01:30 PM
Its always seems to me when you buy local you get the crap as they've sent all the good stuff to the supermarket or overseas
::) What a contribution.

There is a shop outside Armagh, family owned, I think they sell all their own produce (ot at least locally sourced).

muppet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 05, 2009, 02:01:08 PM
btw I am hearing that the Gov are looking to invest in tidal/wave/wind electricity generation to keep ourselves self sustained, creat implementation and then maintenance jobs plus maybe then sell Electricity back to EU.

In 2006 this government gave away the rights to 2 new gasfields for nothing so I'm not holding my breath.

It is not in our nature to be forward looking and we don't demand it from our politicians so they don't do it.

In 1999 Amsterdam's Schiphol airport finished a new pier which brought 'us up to our projected capacity requirements for the year 2030'. They are 30 years ahead of the game.

Dublin airport's current terminal was built for a capacity 15 million people p/a. At the moment it handles well over 20 million p/a.

As the saying goes 'If the Dutch had Ireland they'd feed the world, if the Irish had Holland they'd drown'.

We buy almost all of our electricity from abroad and that won't change when Corrib comes online as we still have to buy it from Shell at market rates.
MWWSI 2017

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2009, 03:19:47 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 05, 2009, 02:01:08 PM

In 2006 this government gave away the rights to 2 new gasfields for nothing so I'm not holding my breath.

It is not in our nature to be forward looking and we don't demand it from our politicians so they don't do it.

In 1999 Amsterdam's Schiphol airport finished a new pier which brought 'us up to our projected capacity requirements for the year 2030'. They are 30 years ahead of the game.

Dublin airport's current terminal was built for a capacity 15 million people p/a. At the moment it handles well over 20 million p/a.

As the saying goes 'If the Dutch had Ireland they'd feed the world, if the Irish had Holland they'd drown'.

We buy almost all of our electricity from abroad and that won't change when Corrib comes online as we still have to buy it from Shell at market rates.

Hate to say it, but that made me laugh!  :-\
Tbc....

tyssam5

Quote from: redhugh on November 05, 2009, 11:04:54 AM
While sitting last night with a few mates,we got chatting about buying local produce and how it contributes to the local economy.The general consensus seemed to be that we would rather buy from the farmer up the road than from some of the big chain supermarkets.When we went further into it ,it came up that this is sometimes easier said than done.
I've just finnished a book by Stephen Clarke called Talk to the snail, it's a light hearted look at French society and their attitudes and policies. He makes the point that France has more holidays per year than other European countries - 6 weeks.The obvious question here is how can the French economy sustain 6 weeks off work for their workers.He makes the point that on a bank holiday weekend a French family will jump in their French made car,fill it with French petrol,drive to the French countryside or coast and spend their money on French produce being sold in French restaurants.The French are passionate about their own produce and by and large will go to great lengths to purchase locally thus contributing to their own economy.We on the other hand don't seem to be too bothered where our food comes from as long as it is cheap. For a country with such strong agricultural ties , where has it all gone wrong for us and how can we make it better?

??

Agree with most of the rest. I've been seeing more restaurants at home that will include their food sources on the menu.