CPA (Club Players Association)

Started by ck, October 18, 2016, 12:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Also - if someone could quantify how much this 28.5% increase in mileage will cost we might have an idea where the €5.2M per annum is going. Otherwise we only know about €1,167,000 from the above.

Croí na hÉireann

Liking more and more how the CPA are going about their business, their recently released statement reads:

CPA chairman Micheal Briody said today: "We are calling on Páraic Duffy to park his proposals pending proper consultation. We have had a very positive response since our official launch. Over 15,000 club players have registered so far. Their expectation is that the GAA will step up to the plate and address the fixtures issue for all players. If the current proposals are passed, there will be no realistic possibility to change until the 2019 season at the earliest. By then it could be too late. This needs sorted now."

He continued:  "We have had several informal discussions with the director-general Páraic Duffy at which we have exchanged views. We appreciate greatly Páraic taking time to meet us and recognise the legitimacy of the CPA. We have written to him to formally notify him, on behalf of club players, of three matters that need immediate attention:

1 CPA Recognition

We are calling upon and appealing to County Boards to vote to officially recognise the CPA at the forthcoming Congress. We are at the stage as an Association where we need to consider what's right for all our members, not who's right. Given the nature of Congress we believe it is important that the motion proposed by Wexford and Tipperary County Boards is heard at Congress and given due consideration without the possibility of procedural interference or impairment. We are writing to County Boards this week inviting their mandated support to achieve the necessary support. The CPA is committed to working with and supporting County Boards. Agreement on fixtures will make their work easier.

2 Fixtures Proposal

The CPA is today announcing that it cannot support the fixtures proposals brought forward by Páraic Duffy. We are therefore calling on Páraic to put his ideas on hold pending further consideration. We respect Páraic's position over the last 9 years as Director General and his immense experience as a professional GAA official.  However we cannot support the proposals on three main grounds:

· They do not fully take on board the need for an agreed fixtures programme for club players, or take account of legitimate concerns raised including club player welfare and well being, holidays and closed season.

· They are detrimental towards hurling, and in their presented form are creating an unwelcome imbalance in the Association, especially at a time when hurling nationally needs renewed focus. Both games must be given parity of esteem. This is non negotiable.

· The proposals pre date the establishment of the Club Players' Association. The view expressed to us by club players who are the majority playing population, is that club fixtures need to be fully considered in any proposals going forward.

3 Fixtures Think Tank

To this end we call for the immediate establishment of a Fixtures Think Tank to meet, take on board and consult fixtures experts in the GAA, and if necessary take evidence from other sports. Their remit will be to report back within a fixed timeframe with a programme and principles that create uniformity and help county boards who are unfairly often in the firing line. Their findings will outline the way forward to make our Association fit for purpose and serve the GAA for the next stage of its evolution and the challenges we all face.

We must remember the articles of our Association when first established by Cusack, Davin and the founding fathers:

"Davin spoke first about the plan to start a new organisation for sport. He described how many Irish games were losing popularity and dying out in some cases in the countryside and appealed for a revival.

'The Gaelic Athletic Association for the Preservation and Cultivation of National Pastimes' was chosen as the official name but it soon became known familiarly by the shortened title of the GAA.

It is time again to preserve and cultivate our games for all our members.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

magpie seanie

Excellent piece. Sensible and non threatening but firm. This matter should be deferred and a special congress could be called on this issue for October or earlier if it is felt the process could be completed by then.

15,000 members is a good statement in such a short time.

thewobbler

I would point out that:

- a fixtures think tank is a waste of time. There are only two options available: compress the county season significantly, or exclude county players from club activity during the county season. Any other proposal  will be detrimental to player welfare... a phrase they keep using but also keep using in a context that suits them I.e. County player welfare is not so important.

- hurling doesn't need a "renewed national focus". The basic fundamental truth is that for a large number of gaels, hurling just doesn't do it for them. Market, coach, force equality, do whatever you like, but you're pissing against the wind trying to force culture on people who don't want it. On top of this, in 2017 the life of a dual player just isn't attractive in the slightest. Stack that up against dwindling rural communities and I always question do people want to promote either sport or no sport? For if you to try to drive both through, in all too many cases it's an overhead and segmentation of resources that's just beyond most clubs.

I'm actually getting less convinced by every announcement.

As and when the CPA make a proposal and not just some noise, I might change my mind. But for now they're just causing trouble.

Hound

Quote from: thewobbler on January 24, 2017, 12:59:43 PM
I would point out that:

- a fixtures think tank is a waste of time. There are only two options available: compress the county season significantly, or exclude county players from club activity during the county season. Any other proposal  will be detrimental to player welfare... a phrase they keep using but also keep using in a context that suits them I.e. County player welfare is not so important.

- hurling doesn't need a "renewed national focus". The basic fundamental truth is that for a large number of gaels, hurling just doesn't do it for them. Market, coach, force equality, do whatever you like, but you're pissing against the wind trying to force culture on people who don't want it. On top of this, in 2017 the life of a dual player just isn't attractive in the slightest. Stack that up against dwindling rural communities and I always question do people want to promote either sport or no sport? For if you to try to drive both through, in all too many cases it's an overhead and segmentation of resources that's just beyond most clubs.

I'm actually getting less convinced by every announcement.

As and when the CPA make a proposal and not just some noise, I might change my mind. But for now they're just causing trouble.
Exactly. Reminds me of a Joe Brolly article. Any good points get overshadowned by the nonsense thrown in.

Saying that it devalues the hurling championship is laughable. The hurling championship is unchanged!!

And this hurling being equal is "Non negotiable". So given it's club players they are supposed to represent, therefore, presumably its going to be non-negotiable that every county puts hurling on a equal footing with gaelic. Yeah, I'm sure that will get great support in Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal, etc.

The GAA should tell them to feck right off until they come up with solid proposals, instead of the constant whining which is all we've heard so far.

Hardy

Quote from: Hound on January 24, 2017, 01:32:30 PM
The GAA should tell them to ... come up with solid proposals

I don't have an opinion to express at this stage on the tactics of the CPA (though I support their agenda in principle) but that's what P. Duffy has effectively told them in his annual report released today according to RTÉ Sport.

The Trap

Hound and Wobbler, 15000 players are right behind these guys and are hoping that they will stand up and fight for their rights. Surprised there aren't more than 15000 at this stage. I am really behind the CPA and think you will really it swing into action when the club season stutters to a start-stop-start of sorts!

magpie seanie

Interesting but not surprising negative reaction from P. Duffy. The animosity is clear from the outset. I'd say in hindsight he'll be annoyed at himself that he let the mask slip. Probably annoyed they stole his thunder on the day of his big annual report.

thewobbler

Quote from: The Trap on January 24, 2017, 02:26:16 PM
Hound and Wobbler, 15000 players are right behind these guys and are hoping that they will stand up and fight for their rights. Surprised there aren't more than 15000 at this stage. I am really behind the CPA and think you will really it swing into action when the club season stutters to a start-stop-start of sorts!

If there's one thing that we can learn from 20 years of the Simpsons, it's that gathering together a lynch mob isnt a difficult thing to do.

The GAA is probably the most democratic sporting organisation in the world. Literally a man on a pub stool (usually a social club) can fundamentally change the structures of the organisation and the flows of its games, providing he has the interest in pursuing his ideals. He won't need bribery, just drive.

So the formation of the CPA union begs the question.... what exactly has it been formed to protect? For the ability for club players to control their destiny already exists. But as yet these tens of thousands of club players have not yet been able to muster a suitable proposal for club fixtures.

This ultimately is because there is no solution suitable to everyone.

So the only tangible purpose of the CPA has to be the power to effect a strike until the "club player" gains the imbalance of power.

A strike in the GAA. I get wound up at the thought of it.

magpie seanie

Quote from: thewobbler on January 24, 2017, 03:55:52 PM
Quote from: The Trap on January 24, 2017, 02:26:16 PM

If there's one thing that we can learn from 20 years of the Simpsons, it's that gathering together a lynch mob isnt a difficult thing to do.

The GAA is probably the most democratic sporting organisation in the world. Literally a man on a pub stool (usually a social club) can fundamentally change the structures of the organisation and the flows of its games, providing he has the interest in pursuing his ideals. He won't need bribery, just drive.

So the formation of the CPA union begs the question.... what exactly has it been formed to protect? For the ability for club players to control their destiny already exists. But as yet these tens of thousands of club players have not yet been able to muster a suitable proposal for club fixtures.

This ultimately is because there is no solution suitable to everyone.

So the only tangible purpose of the CPA has to be the power to effect a strike until the "club player" gains the imbalance of power.

A strike in the GAA. I get wound up at the thought of it.

Why was the GPA needed so?

Esmarelda

Duffy's proposals, as outlined in the report that accompanied them, are a step in the right direction for all, including club players. Doing something more dramatic is less likely to pass at congress.

Why don't the CPA lobby to have the proposals passed, thereby improving their members' situation, and then spend the next couple of years trying to improve it?

By not putting the current proposal through they (the CPA) will be stuck with the current situation for at least an additional year, and probably longer.

thewobbler

Seanie. The GPA was needed because while the GAA was going through the roof in terms of both revenues and player commitments, the GAA was doing very little to acknowledge this fact. It became quite costly in terms of time and money (meals, fuel) for a player to commit to county ball.

It has gone too far now and i would love its wings clipped, as it's simply not pragmatic for county boards to fulfil the expenses for every county team, especially those that are keener on the rewards than effort.

That said, it was a relatively easy problem to fix. Players needed acknowledgement that the increase in their efforts saw increase revenues which should mean some share of it all. Uncomplicated.

The CPA's raisin d'etre is a much more complex problem as it's largely a cultural problem that it aspires to fix I.e. how can we play both club and county ball in the summer months when clubs will refuse to play without their County players.

I predict they'll spend 12-18 months throwing fuel on this fire, continually trying to make it a central council problem when it's not. Then they'll call a strike. And they'll have no terms for the strike apart from to show central council they mean business.

That's the worry. Until they provide a clear, practical and achievable solution, then it's horseshit combined with smoke and mirrors.

longballin

Quote from: thewobbler on January 24, 2017, 04:16:35 PM
Seanie. The GPA was needed because while the GAA was going through the roof in terms of both revenues and player commitments, the GAA was doing very little to acknowledge this fact. It became quite costly in terms of time and money (meals, fuel) for a player to commit to county ball.

It has gone too far now and i would love its wings clipped, as it's simply not pragmatic for county boards to fulfil the expenses for every county team, especially those that are keener on the rewards than effort.

That said, it was a relatively easy problem to fix. Players needed acknowledgement that the increase in their efforts saw increase revenues which should mean some share of it all. Uncomplicated.

The CPA's raisin d'etre is a much more complex problem as it's largely a cultural problem that it aspires to fix I.e. how can we play both club and county ball in the summer months when clubs will refuse to play without their County players.

I predict they'll spend 12-18 months throwing fuel on this fire, continually trying to make it a central council problem when it's not. Then they'll call a strike. And they'll have no terms for the strike apart from to show central council they mean business.

That's the worry. Until they provide a clear, practical and achievable solution, then it's horseshit combined with smoke and mirrors.

It was the threat of a strike made GAA capitulate to GPA

magpie seanie

I agree with you on most of that except I do not foresee a "strike" in any way, shape or form and would totally oppose such a ridiculous notion. I also firmly believe the problems of intercounty players could have been resolved through the proper channels of the Association which I think you agree with.

The CPA needs to come up with proposals or a way forward, I agree there. I think these are genuine people looking to put a solution in place though so I'd disagree with the assertion that it's horseshit.

I also believe the GAA's democratic structures have been well and truly corrupted in recent times. It's almost impossible for anyone except those at the top to get changes through because county boards are absolutely under Croke Park's control, with a few exceptions. If Croke Park don't want something it gets beaten or pulled.

magpie seanie

Quote from: longballin on January 24, 2017, 04:24:49 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 24, 2017, 04:16:35 PM

It was the threat of a strike made GAA capitulate to GPA

I think you're correct but two wrongs don't make a right and also if club players went on strike the GAA wouldn't lose any corporate sponsors so Croke Park won't give a fcuk.