International Rules may survive after all

Started by magickingdom, December 09, 2006, 04:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

the gaa said today that while there will be no tour at junior or senior level to austrialia in 2007 a consultation process will begin outlining what is needed if the series is to continue and when this process is finished the final document will be presented to the afl for their view......

ziggysego

At least we got some breathing space before 2008. Prehaps then, we would have a proper set of rules set in place then, so we won't have a repeat performance of 2005 and 2006.

One can only hope.

As for the Undergame Games, as good as it is for the young 'uns, I feel it should be scrapped altogether.
Testing Accessibility

never kickt a ball

Can we not take the Aussies on at rounders - It's a non-contact sport (mind you they're not bad at cricket either)

ziggysego

Quote from: never kickt a ball on December 09, 2006, 08:21:38 PM
(mind you they're not bad at cricket either)

That's the things about the Aussies, they are good at all sports!! Well maybe not soccer, although they were unfairly defeated in the World Cup this year.
Testing Accessibility

never kickt a ball

409 Ziggy. Keep going you will overtake him 2nite. Ziggy for 500! Ziggy for 500!

ziggysego

I'm going out on a date now, so no time to over take Dubnut. However, that is my mission tomorrow. I shall rule this board! :D
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Bet the Aussies are shite at turf-clodding or dog-throwing.

Good decision today.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lecale2

RTE

No International Rules in 2007
Saturday, 09 December 2006 5:44 

There will be no International Rules Series in 2007, at junior or senior level, while the GAA prepare a document which will put on record the basis of structure of rules and penalties that the future of the game will be based on.

GAA president Nickey Brennan said that over half the players that had been consulted with were in favour of the hybrid game continuing. Delegates from around the country also spoke for and against the future of the game.

Speaking at a meeting of Central Council on Saturday, Brennan stated that any future for the International Rules game will be dependent on a structure being formulated that will ensure acceptable standards of sportsmanship.

This document, when formulated, will be brought back to Central Council for decision and then forwarded to the AFL for their consideration. Following this it hoped that the AFL and GAA can hold talks on the  future of the Series.

Dessie Farrell, GPA chief executive and player's representative on central Council, stated that while there would be some disappointment amongst players that the 2007 Series will not take place, the decision was, in his view, probably a wise one.

dodo

This opens up a clear time for the Interprovincial games next year. A good opportunity to give M. Donnelly some pay back for sponsoring the competition over the last few years by doing a serious promotion of it. Ensure that as many top players as possible play and are well taken care of for doing so.

DUBSFORSAM1

Well it will probably be open season for the AFL to poach young players now that the series has been cancelled...especially as the rule about not being able to poach players can't be enforced...

stephenite

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on December 10, 2006, 09:25:05 PM
Well it will probably be open season for the AFL to poach young players now that the series has been cancelled...especially as the rule about not being able to poach players can't be enforced...

Exactly, you can be sure that all AFL clubs will be making concerted efforts to attract young Irish talent over, the minor games will be teeming with Aussie scouts. With the success of Kennelly and Begley in recent years these teams can see huge benefits, it's not hard to tempt most lads to go and now there will be no restrictions on the AFL clubs from poaching our best young players, open season.

muppet

More young Gaa prospects will die in alcohol related road deaths this year than have been poached in the last decade.
MWWSI 2017

charlie linkbox

"WILL die". You can't have figures for something that hasn't happened yet.

Safe to assume though that more than two or three young footballers die on the roads per annum, thus making muppets statement true.

muppet

It can't be absolutely true as it is an opinion and difficult to prove either way. It is merely my interpretation of the stats.

However the reality is that many young Gaa players are killed every year on the roads with alcohol as some sort of influence. We would be better off trying to protect them from that fate rather than shielding them from a professional career in sport where they really would be looked after.

MWWSI 2017