Pre-Season Training

Started by gaelicman, December 08, 2006, 09:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaelicman

That dreaded time is nearly upon us already which is surprising as for alot of people the old season is'nt even finished.
What sort of training does your clubs participate in now? All gut busters or do they try to introduce some variety-if there is any???

dubnut

Ah jaysus let us enjoy christmas before scaring us with talk of pre-season!  >:(

lynchbhoy

think most players are afraid to take time off these days - well the serious inter county lads I know of

they might not be doing any team training, but they are in the gym

I think its good to get a bit of a rest, but also you can still have the odd organised kickaround.

I am trying to get a tournament up and running at our club for junior/minor players

lads of this standard/age need more and more football, it really brings them on in a way training cannot

irunthev

At the moment we are doing alternative training, just to maintain levels of fitness, the sort of stuff that lads wouldn't normally do during the season.
A bit of track work, not too much, some circuits and also ball games other thn gaelic. Indoor rugby, Olympic handball, 5-a-side and basketball. Plenty of variety, no mad pressure, just to make the starting back after Christmas easier.

gaelicman

Really isnt appealing at all.is there any way of making it more attractive.What do these well paid managers now do to bring it onto a more professional level?

gaelicman

My club doesnt have any indoor facilities at all.Would be great to have as it would make training alot more appealing to everyone.

dubnut

Quote from: gaelicman on December 08, 2006, 09:43:15 AM
What do these well paid managers now do to bring it onto a more professional level?

Controversial allegations!

irunthev

I have just come back from Australia and it was interesting to see that at the end of the season the club teams (not the big pro teams in Aussie Rules but the equivalent of a club side here) fitness tested their players at the end of the season and then designed individual off-season programmes for each player so that they could focus on their weak areas in the off-season and also make sure that everyone came back at about the same level as each other. I suppose it's a way of cutting out the "puking season" at the start of pre-season. It's all about maintaining a level of fitness, strength and very importantly  flexibility..
The fitness tests were quite in depth and took place the week that the season was over and had the usual stuff like the bleep test etc but also using timing gates and checking the 30 metre sprint as well as what you could lift and how high you could jump.

One lad told me that he did a bleep test with 250 guys in it. That's mad.

neilthemac

leaving amatuer players to do their own training doesn't work - majority of them won't do it

to really see improvements you'd need two supervised gym sessions per week for the whole squad.

BenDover

Good drinking session well soon have ye's all forgetting about pre-season. Let the nightmares begin

youbetterbelieveit

abit of indoor soccer and the infrequent trip to the gym is about it for me.

ONeill

The Hill are taking an innovative approach in 06/07. They've managed to get their hands on an 8-set of old turf-nickers and breasting clogs. Even tonight as I look down the loanan they're out there now breasting away - four carrying creels to the shore and back again with 4 more waiting to bear the load. After a few pints the sleán is used to hurl a while such is the renewed interested in the small ball around the east.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bigpaul

The only Hillian who could venture into the moss at the minute without going to the neck is Jim Mc Nally!