Secret to success. Good gameplan or high skill levels?

Started by rolloutking, November 27, 2006, 02:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Are they mutually exclusive?

Each on its own will only get you so far.

stephenite

Exactly J70, both are needed. You can be a great player struggling to make an impact in a match because of a shite gameplan,    and you can have a great game plan but if you're players are not up to the standard of the opposition in terms of ability or fitness you're also screwed

dubnut

Orior

Maybe the question is who would win? The highly skilled players with the poor gameplan versus the not so skilled players with the brilliant gameplan. Have their been any recent county games that illustrate such?

The answer? Did Kerry will all those all-irelands with average players or great game plans?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Fuzzman

With regard to Tyrone football I think we have got too much into focusing on game plan and not enough playing natural attacking football.

We often play with a 2 man FF line and often we have 9 or 10 people back defending and so when we win possesion we have no-one to pass it to in the forward line or if Stevie O'Neill wins it he has no support.

Stevie can just about manage with 2 men marking him but Mugsy struggles to even win the ball now.

All this defensive tactics are spoiling our attractive football and now we've won 2 AI's we should get back to basics.

thewobbler

You really can't please GAA fans. Mickey Harte has built a tactical system previously unseen in Gaelic Games. He had a look at the players at his disposal and built a system that got the absolute best out of them. He has since tweaked, modfified and improved the original plan, sometimes to get more out of it, other times to adjust to the changes in his panel. When put in place, this system at worst it is effective. At it's best it is nothing short of sublime. It has played a huge part in delivering two All-Irelands to a county that previously had none, a county renonwned for choking. Some of the football Tyrone played in those triumphs was nothing short of exceptional.

Yet Fuzzman wants to throw it out the window and go back to lumping the ball blindly forward. I do despair.

believebelive

did you or have you played a lot of ball wobbler cos u speak an awful lot of sense.
Tyrone were at time spectacular winning those two All irelands particuarly the 2005 crown.
Both O'Neill and Mulligan gave an exhibition of winning the ball that day and every time they did there was somebody thundering past them to take the ball off them. Yes they defended in numbers but they also attacked in numbers. It was super stuff IMO.
On the issue as a whole i would say that a good gameplan is probably more important at the highest level as skill difference is not as apparent. At club level however the most skillfull team can still win.

Fuzzman

I believe the Tyrone game plan has worked very well and is indeed the main reason why we finally made the break-thru. I think we needed something extra to beat teams like Armagh or the old style Meath etc.

But Tyrone and Kerry have become a lot more like Armagh now I think. Much more defensive minded which leads to much more congestion and tactical fouling.

Having watched NFL and Championship games last year, teams know we rarely kick the ball long now as we prefer to run it out of defense. Therefore they stop us building from the back as Dublin and Derry did last year by constant fouling in our half back line.

This creates a horrible negative spectacle of a  game which a lot of teams were copying until Kerry re-introduced the long ball into Star this year.

I'm just saying I was getting a little tired last season with constant fouling and slow play up the field and quite often hitting passes into 1 or 2 forwards with maybe 4 defenders around them.

I trust M.Harte though and think come June he will have something up his sleeve.

never kickt a ball

What about a good horse then..... Zara had Toytown and Tyrone had Gavin Devlin? :)