Mayo v Donegal, Elverys McHale Park, Aug 03, 6pm

Started by highorlow, July 22, 2019, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inthrough

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 23, 2019, 08:59:07 AM
I hope we have a referee who can count 4 steps in this one. Both these sides have many serial offenders. There was a time people would get annoyed about 7 or 8 steps....not its 12 or 16 that's leading to scores and totally unpunished. Just put the head down and run - seems to be what people get away with now. That's not gaelic football.

I agree on the 12-16 steps comment, that is ripping it a bit, but I would hate to watch a game where the four step rule was rigidly enforced. The tackling in the modern game is so ferocious that games would be ruined. Maybe a change out to six steps would be workable, it seems to be what refs are using as a minimum nowadays anyway.

Rossfan

Are Gaelic games the only sports in the world where enforcing the rules of the games is not only frowned upon but regularly condemned?
"Let the game flow"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trueblue1234

Quote from: inthrough on July 23, 2019, 10:32:28 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 23, 2019, 08:59:07 AM
I hope we have a referee who can count 4 steps in this one. Both these sides have many serial offenders. There was a time people would get annoyed about 7 or 8 steps....not its 12 or 16 that's leading to scores and totally unpunished. Just put the head down and run - seems to be what people get away with now. That's not gaelic football.

I agree on the 12-16 steps comment, that is ripping it a bit, but I would hate to watch a game where the four step rule was rigidly enforced. The tackling in the modern game is so ferocious that games would be ruined. Maybe a change out to six steps would be workable, it seems to be what refs are using as a minimum nowadays anyway.

Problem being that you move to 6 and the average will then be 8-10 given how they're reffed the 4 steps. Making the man solo/bounce every 4 steps (And enforcing it) will open the game up imo. A 1 to 1 defender would then have a realistic chance of tackling the ball rather than the man and wouldn't require the safety net of a blanket defense. People lament the decline of good attacking football but the reality is that the art of tackling individually is also dying along side it due to massed defenses. How often do you see the hand go in a flick the ball away anymore? It more about stopping the attacker running first and trying to bottle him up rather than tackling the ball.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

J70

What kind of reception will Rochford get? :)

Will his inside knowledge be much of a help to Donegal? It didn't help Fermanagh much with Rory Gallagher, but that may be purely a player quality/depth issue.

Not sure about Mayo, but Bonner will probably keep us all hanging on throw in time on the injuries. As someone mentioned, Cian Ward reckoned on the Parkinson podcast that McBrearty was possibly carrying a hamstring strain towards the end of the game. Then we've the two McGees, Paddy McGrath and Hugh McFadden injured too, in addition to Ban.

We've happy memories of our last and only Championship game in Castlebar. Beating Galway in the quarter final replay in '03.

Sportacus

Shaun Patton has become crucial to Donegal.  A great player altogether.  His restarts are brilliant.  He's now at Cluxton levels.

macdanger2

Quote from: J70 on July 23, 2019, 11:31:21 AM

I'd be very surprised if he gets anything other than a very warm reception

larryin89

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 23, 2019, 12:26:58 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 23, 2019, 11:31:21 AM

I'd be very surprised if he gets anything other than a very warm reception

💯 , don't even understand why anyone would think different .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

iorras

Quote from: inthrough on July 23, 2019, 10:29:10 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 23, 2019, 09:20:48 AM
Some prize for the winner , a semi final v Dublin . Donegal miles ahead of Mayo anyway but I personally would prefer a five/six point defeat to donegal in castlebar rather than a twenty point trimming at the hands of the dubs .
Not the greatest vote of confidence in a team I've ever seen ;D ;D ;D
Hes yeraaing, we do it as well sometimes

rosnarun

Quote from: iorras on July 23, 2019, 01:50:17 PM
Quote from: inthrough on July 23, 2019, 10:29:10 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 23, 2019, 09:20:48 AM
Some prize for the winner , a semi final v Dublin . Donegal miles ahead of Mayo anyway but I personally would prefer a five/six point defeat to donegal in castlebar rather than a twenty point trimming at the hands of the dubs .
Not the greatest vote of confidence in a team I've ever seen ;D ;D ;D
Hes yeraaing, we do it as well sometimes
no he has lodt the one true faith . bad mouthing horan and mayo all summer , fe more of them here as well.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Still has his good Roscommon accent despite all his years associating with the wrong types.

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Ballagh left the darkness and came into the light in 1898.
Unfortunately their GAA club still refuses to come out of the cave.