AI Club hurling

Started by johnneycool, November 10, 2014, 09:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Kilmallock see off Sarsfields of Cork AET to set up a meeting with Cratloe who put Thurles Sarsfields to the sword.

Wasn't overly impressed with the game on TG4 in Kilmallock, thought the ref let an awful lot of the spare arm around the man in possession tackling go which in turn led to overcarrying, and the ruck/maul situation quite a bit.
Sarsfields inability to keep the big lad away from the edge of the square coupled with the keeper coming out and missing the ball completely with a bat when I thought he should have come with the hand cost them a soft goal. Kilmallock then seemed to help them get back in the game by fouling in scoreable positions.
Kilmallock then managed to open a game in the second period of extra time, but their over reliance on Graham Mulcahy could cost them in a few weeks time.

I hear Thurles lost a man right from the throw in, must have been bad, anyone see it?

Roashter

Denis Maher had a wild swing alright. It was literally right after about 5 seconds, and there was a big crowd of almost 5,000 there but you could clearly hear the slap of hurley on helmet.
Probably wasn't malicious and the easy option would be to give a yellow, but it happened right in front of the ref and Thurles players didn't protest too much so was probably the correct call.

Apart from Conor McGrath, Cratloe were not overly impressive and really should have won by more considering they had home advantage against 14 men for the 60 minutes. Podge Collins had some great moves but he also tends to overplay the ball at times. Conor Ryan was excellent at centre-back for them. Conor McGrath was outstanding and gave Michael Cahill the run-around.

Denis Maher was a hugle loss to Thurles and they had no hope of winning after he went off. Padraig Maher had a good game without being outstanding, while Lar Corbett looked completely off the pace and didn't really contribute a whole lot.

It's hard to know how good Cratloe really are, but I think that if Conor McGrath can be kept relatively quiet then they will struggle.

johnneycool

That was some game in Limerick yesterday for a club game.

It ebbed and flowed with one team on top and then the other came back and so on and so forth for the entire 80 minutes.

Cratloe will rue some of those goal chances they fluffed either by one pass too many or good goal keeping but in my mind Conor McGrath was fouled as the big defender slapped him on the hand as he cut inside causing him to lose possession, something that seemed to be let go all day although the ref did throw out a yellow card later on for it.

Kilmallock just never gave up and put over some great points at times to keep within shouting distance of Cratloe and their freshness stood to them in extra time where they pulled away from a jaded Cratloe.

Up next is the Ports  8)

Roashter

Yeah, was a brilliant game yesterday.
Killmallock were the better team overall, although Cratloe's heavy schedule in last few weeks must have had an effect on them.

theskull1

Quote from: johnneycool on November 24, 2014, 09:15:38 AM
Up next is the Ports  8)

Tipp vs Limerick ...at least it'll look like it is anyway  8)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

CitySlicker11

What was Gavin O'Mahony sent off for in yesterdays game, I am not sure if TG4 showed it or if I just missed it?

johnneycool

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on November 24, 2014, 05:38:03 PM
What was Gavin O'Mahony sent off for in yesterdays game, I am not sure if TG4 showed it or if I just missed it?

TG4 didn't show it as it was just after Cratloe had scored a goal.

It'll be interesting if Killmallock appeal it as he'll miss the next game against Portaferry if they don't. Maybe they'll be confident enough to play it without him..

Premier Emperor

Quote from: johnneycool on November 25, 2014, 10:43:37 AM

It'll be interesting if Killmallock appeal it as he'll miss the next game against Portaferry if they don't. Maybe they'll be confident enough to play it without him..
They'll won't need him for the semi final, but he is very lucky that Kilmallock had the plum draw this year.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Premier Emperor on November 25, 2014, 11:29:05 AM

They'll won't need him for the semi final, but he is very lucky that Kilmallock had the plum draw this year.
Cratloe got the plum draw in the Munster Semi Final

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on November 26, 2014, 10:56:00 AM

Thurles are the biggest ever underachievers in the club series, so strange why they have bottled it every time, considering the talent and the catchment they have
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 02, 2014, 11:15:26 PM

Thurles are the biggest ever underachievers in the club series, so strange why they have bottled it every time, considering the talent and the catchment they have
I'd have to agree. They should have racked up a couple of All Ireland titles by now, with the quality of players they have.

gallsman

No real surprise. For all the talent they have, their best players are all underachievers and bottlers individually.

Homeofhurling10

Quote from: gallsman on December 03, 2014, 03:27:01 PM

No real surprise. For all the talent they have, their best players are all underachievers and bottlers individually.
[/b][/color]

Lar Corbett - 2 Senior All-Irelands, 5 senior Munster titles, 2 league titles, three All stars and a hurler of the year, 148 points from play in senior championship hurling.

Padraic Maher - 1 senior All ireland, 3 Munster senior titles, 2  Minor All - Irelands, 1 U-21 All Ireland, 3 all stars at the age of 25.

Mickey Cahill - 1 senior All-Ireland, 2 Munster senior titles , 2 minor All- Irelands, 1 u-21 All Ireland, 1 all star at the age of 25.

If the above is an example of "bottlers and underachievers" i would love to be one !

seafoid

Why are Tipp clubs so poor in the club championship ?
Galway are fabliss on the other hand.

gallsman

You don't consider that underachievement focusing the talent they and the wider Tipp panels have had since the turn off the century?